follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List
kodos78

Old 08-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #183
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Well should you have a Mustang then any photo shoot area could become a cemetery even if it wasn't one when you started.
(with apologies to any veterans out there, I'll take this down if its not cool)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (12-16-2016), FX86 (12-15-2016), Psilox (08-04-2016), Tcoat (08-01-2016), Ultramaroon (12-15-2016), ~el~jefe~ (12-16-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #184
Psilox

Drives: Nothing yet!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Top bants.
Psilox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:32 PM   #185
Timmy_Jones
Spun

Drives: 17' Focus RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami301 View Post
Good analogy. It's a lot more fun to push a well-sorted 250 at the limits- which a good rider can reach- than try to push yourself toward the limits of a modern literbike- which even a Rossi can barely tap.

The 86 feels plenty fast even though it isn't. Just don't get too complacent setting up passes. (just like a wound-out 250).
Do you have any idea who 'Rossi' is? Saying that he can't push the limits of a modern liter bike...
Timmy_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #186
7 skulls

Drives: 2014 scion frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones View Post
Do you have any idea who 'Rossi' is? Saying that he can't push the limits of a modern liter bike...
Rossi good. Stoner, Lorenzo, Vinales good too. Marquez unreal.
Attached Images

7 skulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #187
lowlevel

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
So, here I am a year later, unhappy with the beast in my driveway. I miss having a simple, light drivers car with great controls and a low powered engine. I miss being able to actually drive a car hard without worrying about being arrested. So, now i'm looking at trading this car back in on a twin. I don't know why I didn't just make my FR-S a bit faster and a bit less stupid, but I can honestly say that there is precious little else out there for reasonable money that is such a pure driving machine. The Mustang is a great car for what it is, and Ford is doing a good job but it is not a drivers car. It's a mass market weekend pleasurer with a fantastic engine.

I caution anyone who is considering a trade in to know that you are stepping away from one of the purest drivers cars, at any price.

Thanks for reading.
Interesting read... I kind of had a similar but kind of opposite thing going on myself.

I did hear about the frs/brz before launch too... and thought it would be great, but I had been longing for the mustang for years...

I almost bought a 2010 GT, then an 11 GT... I was more in love with how it looked than how it drove. Buying one would entail suspension mods at the very least... and a $10k transmission swap in a brand new car at the worst... and yeah, the brakes are spongy... and the steering vague... the car gets squirrely if you push it ..

I'de gone through the motions at the Ford dealer a few times... always letting the deal fall apart in the end over the trade in amount, or something...

When they brought back the grabber blue for 2017 I was somewhat interested again... but I was still conflicted. See.. our everyday car was a 2013 Ford Edge... easily worst car I've ever owned. I really didn't want to spend BMW money AGAIN on something that would be unfixably broken all the time... and smell like CAT PISS every time it rained... so I figured I should go check out that car that little 'underpowered' car that Subaru and Toyota built. I went to the Toyota dealer, test drove it and bought it on the spot.

Not looking back... No more Fords.
lowlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lowlevel For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (12-16-2016), Lynxis (12-15-2016), Mim (12-16-2016), soulreapersteve (12-17-2016), Tcoat (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #188
Twin4Life

Drives: '14 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlevel View Post
Interesting read... I kind of had a similar but kind of opposite thing going on myself.

I did hear about the frs/brz before launch too... and thought it would be great, but I had been longing for the mustang for years...

I almost bought a 2010 GT, then an 11 GT... I was more in love with how it looked than how it drove. Buying one would entail suspension mods at the very least... and a $10k transmission swap in a brand new car at the worst... and yeah, the brakes are spongy... and the steering vague... the car gets squirrely if you push it ..

I'de gone through the motions at the Ford dealer a few times... always letting the deal fall apart in the end over the trade in amount, or something...

When they brought back the grabber blue for 2017 I was somewhat interested again... but I was still conflicted. See.. our everyday car was a 2013 Ford Edge... easily worst car I've ever owned. I really didn't want to spend BMW money AGAIN on something that would be unfixably broken all the time... and smell like CAT PISS every time it rained... so I figured I should go check out that car that little 'underpowered' car that Subaru and Toyota built. I went to the Toyota dealer, test drove it and bought it on the spot.

Not looking back... No more Fords.
Ahhh, hot damn. I figured the blue oval would have fixed the ole' Ocelot Juice issue that plagues so many owners?

On a serious note, you serious? It smelled like cat piss in the rain?
Twin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #189
lowlevel

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin4Life View Post
Ahhh, hot damn. I figured the blue oval would have fixed the ole' Ocelot Juice issue that plagues so many owners?

On a serious note, you serious? It smelled like cat piss in the rain?
Yep. Everytime the car would get rained on... there would be a smell very similar to cat piss... it had been in under warranty twice and they were never able to fix it... once they had it for 2 + weeks, assuring me they nailed it.. but the cat came back the very next rain.

We just traded it in last month at a $17k loss to avoid about $4k in tires, brakes, shocks, and a backup camera repair... since it was still going to smell like cat pee probably no matter how much money we dumped into it.
lowlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #190
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
should have went with a 370Z...JAPENIS MUSCLE
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #191
cdq85

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
i remember reading this thread a while back right before i jumped ship to a mustang and wanted to wait a while after having mine to see how i felt. i remember looking at a 14 GT but the looks/interior just couldn't get me excited enough for even a test drive. then i saw the new body style and realllllly liked it so i started looking again. fast forward a few months, and i got a hold of one hell of a deal. paid 29,000 for a 15 gt mustang performance pack with a roush supercharger ready to be installed on it. couldn't pass it up. 7 months later, i gotta say i'm actually pretty happy with the mustang. the independent rear suspension makes this thing a little bit less like a boat. I have her up to 650rwhp and it is just absurd but i absolutely love it. i miss the shit out of wringing out the FR-S though and will pick up one as a second vehicle in the near future. I also miss the low maintenance costs associated with it as i have gone through 2 sets of rear tires in 6000 miles while averaging a whopping 10.3 mpg. Hopefully in about 2 years when the mustang is paid off.
cdq85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:12 AM   #192
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
What does anyone on this thread know about keeping a 250gp bike on the pipe? Next will be space shuttle analogies.
Lantana frs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #193
ktulu7

Drives: 2016 GMC Canyon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
WELL, the lack of usefulness/convenience of my glorious 2013 Hot Lava MT FR-S made me feel guilty after 3 years of my wife absolutely loathing it. I was doing quite a bit of long-distance driving at the time too, and it was starting to take a toll on my back, and so I traded it in last year (still looked like new, 'cause I took dang good care of it) for a new 2016 GMC Canyon Crew Cab V6 4x4 pickup with all sorts of little luxuries in it... Hell of a truck, I must say, and I've driven it across the US a lot. However, now I'm already depressed I got rid of the FR-S, and I've got a big debt on my truck. SO now here I am busting my tail to pay off the truck and then go get a used BRZ with cash hopefully next year. The love of the FT86 Twins is real... Getting that car back is now my primary goal (accomplished some nice career goals since buying the first one, which helps this goal of getting another car). God bless the FR-S/BRZ/GT86!
ktulu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ktulu7 For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-16-2017), funwheeldrive (04-06-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 11:40 PM   #194
srgssgtmatt

Drives: 2014 brz sport tech manual
interesting story. As good as the mustang is. Its a great car for pure speed. Its a great rush. Muscle cars can do that to you. But once that honeymoon is over and you want to really drive it. You can't because one if you push it you are breaking the law. In the BRZ not so much
srgssgtmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison, fr-s, mustang, trade