follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-22-2017, 06:00 PM   #1
Skurj

Drives: SOLD...
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
SPC LCA.. legal for stx?

Can't search for SPC ..

But I did read somewhere that the SPC LCA's are not legal for STX.. but I don't recall why, anyone?

Was going to buy a set then I read that on here somewhere!!.. so now going with Whiteline.
Replaced with 18 50th edition ND
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #2
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skurj View Post
Can't search for SPC ..

But I did read somewhere that the SPC LCA's are not legal for STX.. but I don't recall why, anyone?

Was going to buy a set then I read that on here somewhere!!.. so now going with Whiteline.
I guess they have a bit too much metal in the bushing to qualify as an OE replacement so they are illegal for STX. If you are just doing local/regional autocross, I doubt anyone will care, but if you are serious about it then spend the extra for a legal arm. Whitelines LCA differs from SPC only in that they use a type of rubber bushing so it's (supposedly) legal.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
Skurj (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
SPC no, because the default bushing is ball bearing. STX requires OE-type bushings which mean they have to be metal sleeve within rubber or similar bushing.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Skurj (06-22-2017), strat61caster (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
^ that

Here's a video describing it:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBNUhrvA7wA"]SPC Performance xAxis™ Sealed Flex Joints - YouTube[/ame]

Edit: personal opinion, there's not much advantage to keeping it, it would just be a **** move to protest at a big event to knock you out of trophy's/contingency, I personally wouldn't take the chance but you can always pick them up and have the bushings pressed out and replaced down the road.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Skurj (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #5
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I forget who makes them but there are replacement bushings that are legal. Bumps the price up of course.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I forget who makes them but there are replacement bushings that are legal. Bumps the price up of course.
DIF makes one.

http://www.frsport.com/DIF-10594-Str..._p_445911.html
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
cjd (06-22-2017), Lynxis (06-23-2017), strat61caster (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 01:04 AM   #7
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Edit: personal opinion, there's not much advantage to keeping it, it would just be a **** move to protest at a big event to knock you out of trophy's/contingency, I personally wouldn't take the chance but you can always pick them up and have the bushings pressed out and replaced down the road.
There is quite a bit of advantage. A proper STX suspension is stiff enough that bushing compliance becomes a significant portion of the total movement in the system. Problem is solid metal or increased metal bushings will also make life untenable as a street car.

I'm pretty easy going about little stuff, but I don't consider this little and that's why I keep beating this drum. The rules are very explicitly written about how much metal should be in the bushing in order to prevent the class from turning into SP (textbook definition of rules creep - SP was intended for daily driven cars once upon a time).
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
G_Ride (06-23-2017), strat61caster (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 11:20 AM   #8
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
There is quite a bit of advantage. A proper STX suspension is stiff enough that bushing compliance becomes a significant portion of the total movement in the system. Problem is solid metal or increased metal bushings will also make life untenable as a street car.
I suppose your right and I might change my tune if I held this in my hand that it offers and advantage in keeping the static alignment more consistent.

The OE bushing is pretty damn stiff, same as aftermarket. My gut was that the spherical would allow for freerer suspension movement and that was the advantage, which imo the OE and aftermarket rubber bushings swing up and down with zero resistance.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
Lynxis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I suppose your right and I might change my tune if I held this in my hand that it offers and advantage in keeping the static alignment more consistent.

The OE bushing is pretty damn stiff, same as aftermarket. My gut was that the spherical would allow for freerer suspension movement and that was the advantage, which imo the OE and aftermarket rubber bushings swing up and down with zero resistance.
In our cars, I have a hard time believing there would be any time differential between 2 cars using a LCA with a legal bushing vs an illegal bushing if that was the only thing different. The other end of the arm still has the same bushing from the strut after all so the difference would only be effectively half at best.

If you change other major bushings, then I can definitely see there being a difference and the rules have to be written to reflect that so they just say that generally speaking, you cannot change the type of bushing or the metal vs rubber content in the bushing. Unfortunately, it's not feasible to make an exclusion for something like this in a class with several different cars where each car would benefit more or less from certain bushing changes.

So I've always just taken it as an "it is what it is" type of thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #10
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
In our cars, I have a hard time believing there would be any time differential between 2 cars using a LCA with a legal bushing vs an illegal bushing if that was the only thing different. The other end of the arm still has the same bushing from the strut after all so the difference would only be effectively half at best.
I think it would make a difference having a more consistent rear end alignment would mean it's more predictable and allow a driver to get on the gas more reliably... but we're talking hundredths of a second quicker out of a corner.

Most of us aren't driving well enough for a few hundredths to make a difference which is why I wouldn't make a big deal about it, but I understand others being close enough where it matters.

Pulling up 2016 national results, 4th-8th is covered by less than 1/10th of a second on the combined results. @renfield90 was only 0.2s out of a trophy spot, over a nearly 2 minute (combined) course, being able to squeeze on the gas harder and earlier adds up quick.

Last edited by strat61caster; 06-23-2017 at 02:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #11
Lynxis

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Nice that someone makes an affordable ST legal bushing replacement. I know I saw one a while ago that was asking $200, nearly the value of the arms by themselves and was putting the SPC arms right close in cost to other, better ST legal arms.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:00 PM   #12
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Nice that someone makes an affordable ST legal bushing replacement. I know I saw one a while ago that was asking $200, nearly the value of the arms by themselves and was putting the SPC arms right close in cost to other, better ST legal arms.
You can also buy SPC arms with the DIF bushings already pressed in, I believe directly from DIF.

It's a good value if you're trying to stay STX legal.

I have a tenancy to show up to autox in cars that are awkwardly between classes, and just run as hard as I can for the smile on my face and not care about placement.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
CatDaddysBBQ (06-26-2017), Lynxis (06-23-2017), strat61caster (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 04:19 PM   #13
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Quote:

If you change other major bushings, then I can definitely see there being a difference and the rules have to be written to reflect that so they just say that generally speaking, you cannot change the type of bushing or the metal vs rubber content in the bushing. Unfortunately, it's not feasible to make an exclusion for something like this in a class with several different cars where each car would benefit more or less from certain bushing changes.

So I've always just taken it as an "it is what it is" type of thing.
I think your last line says it all. We can all argue the validity of the rules endlessly but the bottom line is, that is the rule. One could always write a letter if they want it changed.