follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-31-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
Brndn704

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Loud 'Squeak' Noise From Clutch?

I've looked all over the web trying to find others that may have this same issue with no luck.

I cranked up my car yesterday like any other day and noticed a very loud squeaking noise coming from the car after I released the clutch to let it idle and warm up. Upon further investigation I noticed if I engage the clutch peddle it stops making the noise, when I release the peddle the squeaking starts again. I started driving it and the noise stopped. Stopped at a stoplight and took my foot off of the clutch and no squeaking. I went to Target and was in there for maybe 10 minutes, come out, start up the car and release the clutch while it's parked in neutral and the squeaking starts again. Engage clutch and it stops. Not sure what could be causing this, hopefully someone could point me into a good direction. Thanks!
Brndn704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96974
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96974
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96644
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56882
Old 10-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
Brndn704

I know you're trying to help. Unfortunately I've read those threads before. I did my research. The clutch ONLY squeaks when the car is on. The peddle doesn't squeak or cause the squeaking, in fact it eliminates the squeaking completely when it's engaged. I crank the car on, I hear the squeaking. I'm not pushing in the clutch or anything, it's in neutral. I push the clutch in and the squeaking stops. I'm not a "new" guy on here, I usually figure these things out myself, but I cannot find anyone with the same issue as me.

I'm not familiar with clutches per say, but I kind of doubt it's the throwout bearing. I could be wrong though.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:15 PM   #4
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brndn704 View Post
I know you're trying to help. Unfortunately I've read those threads before. I did my research. The clutch ONLY squeaks when the car is on. The peddle doesn't squeak or cause the squeaking, in fact it eliminates the squeaking completely when it's engaged. I crank the car on, I hear the squeaking. I'm not pushing in the clutch or anything, it's in neutral. I push the clutch in and the squeaking stops. I'm not a "new" guy on here, I usually figure these things out myself, but I cannot find anyone with the same issue as me.

I'm not familiar with clutches per say, but I kind of doubt it's the throwout bearing. I could be wrong though.

Sounds exactly like a bad throw out from your description.

or...

Is it the "honking" sort of noise. There are threads on that as well. If I remember right it is something to do with the clutch master.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
Brndn704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Sounds exactly like a bad throw out from your description.

or...

Is it the "honking" sort of noise. There are threads on that as well. If I remember right it is something to do with the clutch master.
Not familiar with the "honking". It sounds like the crickets but on a much louder volume. I popped open the hood and looked around and at first I thought it was the belts whining (it was coming from around that area). In any case, I'm not under warranty anymore, except power train, but as I've read it's not going to be covered under that
Old 10-31-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It's the throwout bearing. It's going to eventually happen whenever you don't have the pedal pushed down. It may already be making the noise as you drive, you just may not be hearing it when the car's moving.

-Justin
Justin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:34 PM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
Not familiar with the "honking". It sounds like the crickets but on a much louder volume. I popped open the hood and looked around and at first I thought it was the belts whining (it was coming from around that area). In any case, I'm not under warranty anymore, except power train, but as I've read it's not going to be covered under that
Not the honk then. It is very loud and sounds like a car horn or goose.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:43 PM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's my understanding, that the release bearing (throw out bearing), does NOT normally go round and round, when the clutch is NOT depressed ..........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
Brndn704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
It's the throwout bearing. It's going to eventually happen whenever you don't have the pedal pushed down. It may already be making the noise as you drive, you just may not be hearing it when the car's moving.

-Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not the honk then. It is very loud and sounds like a car horn or goose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
It's my understanding, that the release bearing (throw out bearing), does NOT normally go round and round, when the clutch is NOT depressed ..........

humfrz
I believe you all are right and now I feel bad about doubting TCoat. My apologies. I suppose since it's not covered by warranty, is it a simple DIY fix? or will I unfortunately be forced to kill my wallet?
Old 10-31-2015, 06:12 PM   #10
Justin.b

Quote:
I believe you all are right and now I feel bad about doubting TCoat. My apologies. I suppose since it's not covered by warranty, is it a simple DIY fix? or will I unfortunately be forced to kill my wallet?
The part is cheap, but you have to remove the transmission to install it (or the engine, if you want to go that way).

-Justin
Justin.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:13 PM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
Time consuming but not difficult. I have never done one on an FRS but have done dozens of others. You may want to consider springing for an upgraded clutch while you are in there anyways.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...fGao9nW2l3oUSA
Old 10-31-2015, 06:28 PM   #12
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've looked all over the web trying to find others that may have this same issue with no luck.

I cranked up my car yesterday like any other day and noticed a very loud squeaking noise coming from the car after I released the clutch to let it idle and warm up. Upon further investigation I noticed if I engage the clutch peddle it stops making the noise, when I release the peddle the squeaking starts again. I started driving it and the noise stopped. Stopped at a stoplight and took my foot off of the clutch and no squeaking. I went to Target and was in there for maybe 10 minutes, come out, start up the car and release the clutch while it's parked in neutral and the squeaking starts again. Engage clutch and it stops. Not sure what could be causing this, hopefully someone could point me into a good direction. Thanks!
OK, if I understand the OP correctly, the noise happens only when the clutch is NOT depressed.

I also have the understanding that the TOB only "works" when the clutch IS depressed.

So, how could the squeaking sound be coming from the TOB .....

Maybe ya'll can help me understand that ....... while I take ma nap ..... ZZZZZ

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
Brndn704

Quote:
OK, if I understand the OP correctly, the noise happens only when the clutch is NOT depressed.

I also have the understanding that the TOB only "works" when the clutch IS depressed.

humfrz
Thats what I couldn't understand myself. Like I said, I'm not very mechanically inclined when it comes to transmissions/clutches but I do know what moves and what doesn't. But you are correct. The noise ONLY happens when car is in neutral and the clutch is NOT depressed. The moment I put even the slightest amount of pressure on the clutch/pedal the noise disappears. Maybe I should take it to the dealership just to see if it is something that is covered under the power train warranty???

I'm really new at this sort of thing. I'm more of a suspension component guy myself.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:49 PM   #14
Justin.b

Quote:

humfrz
I can't tell you why it works like that. Just seems to be a really common failure in Subarus (I have an outback making this noise right now - will install a sleeve once my FR-S is back from the dealer) and the symptoms are exactly as described.

I think some people experience a heat-related element also, in that the sound is louder in cold weather.

-Justin