follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
Pat.Thornton

Old 07-01-2016, 11:54 PM   #435
bhbnuckle

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S/2003 Honda Accord
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkazn58 View Post
I recently brought in my BRZ for a squeaky clutch too. It always squeaked at the bottom of travel after the transmission warmed up. What they did was adjust the clutch engagement point. Their technician stated that the clutch was out of adjustment and that off the factory line the assembly is "too tight".

So now the travel distance & feel of my clutch is completely different. The engagement point is near the bottom of travel unlike before where it was around the middle. Not anywhere remotely as much feedback as before. The travel distance went significantly down from whatever stock was down to 3.5". I measured this from the top of the pedal from bottom of travel to the top of travel. BUT, the squeak is gone.

Has anyone else had their dealership perform this fix? Any experiences you can share?
Sorry for popping out old post!
Is ure squeaky ever came back after adjusting the engagement point?
thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
bhbnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:31 PM   #436
SuperDave

Drives: DAT Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Taking my car in for this issue tomorrow. Hopefully they just use a better grease tomorrow or something simple.
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:46 PM   #437
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
They told me they suspect it's my pressure plate. I don't know how or what it does but hopefully the noise goes away.
Does your squeak correspond with pedal movement? Does it squeak while the engine is not running?
Old 08-25-2016, 05:59 PM   #438
SuperDave

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Does your squeak correspond with pedal movement? Does it squeak while the engine is not running?
yes, it squeaks when the engine is off, and doesn't go away when the engine is warm. it sqeaks going in and pulling out.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:11 PM   #439
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
yes, it squeaks when the engine is off, and doesn't go away when the engine is warm. it sqeaks going in and pulling out.
That's not the pressure plate but it's still a win for you if they will drop the transmission. Hopefully they clean everything in there before lubing the pivots.

It's only been a couple months since I cleaned mine but the clutch is smooth as silk.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:50 PM   #440
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I suppose I should update this thread. Brought my car in for the pedal creaking in the latter half of pedal travel (both directions) - most notably after the car had warmed up a bit.

I brought it in (34,500 miles), told them I thought the throw-out bearing was going bad, and they took the car into the shop and poked around, this is the progression of events:

"Sir, it seems like your issue is the clutch. The mechanic thinks you might have a hot spot, which is what could be causing that creak."

"Okay, well can you explain to me how that hot spot causes the same creak sound to occur when the engine is off?"

*service rep goes away; comes back 5 minutes later*

"Yeah, it seems like your throw-out bearing is ALSO going bad. We are ordering new parts."

*I take the car back, and come back a week later to have the work done.*

End result: I received a brand new throw-out bearing, new pressure plate, new flywheel, and new clutch disk. A different mechanic did the work, and told me that the clutch "showed some wear, but was otherwise fine." So sounds like it wasn't the clutch at all, but instead the TOB. The mechanic told me that the throwout bearing going bad had caused the pressure plate fingers to start making noise too? Not entirely sure.

All I know is the clutch feels ENTIRELY different now, and SO much better. It's so much smoother it strikes me just when I get in the car and depress the clutch to start it. Clutch engagement is buttery smooth now, and it just feels WAY better. One issue I had been having was that sometimes when I went to change gears, taking it out of gear was a bit rough and "thunky"... almost as if I hadn't entirely disengaged the clutch before yanking it out of gear. I thought I was just being retarded (this is my first manual) but that is gone now, so I think whatever was going on in there was maybe affecting how the clutch engaged (which would explain why it is much smoother now.)

Can anyone theorize and explain exactly what might have been going on in there? One of the reasons I prefer to work on my own car is because I like to understand what was happening.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:17 PM   #441
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
Can anyone theorize and explain exactly what might have been going on in there? One of the reasons I prefer to work on my own car is because I like to understand what was happening.
Just sounds to me like there was a whole lot of hand waving going on to explain why they threw so many parts at it.

Cleaning and re-lubing under the bell housing made all the difference in the world. I know my TOB was hanging up, sticking against the snout which did make my clutch less controllable. At times I was afraid to push it hard to the floor for fear of breaking the fork.

Go back, take another look at the pictures I uploaded, and realize that shit ceased being a lubricant a long time ago. It truly was a sticky rosin-like substance that also captured material from the disc.

This is classic lubricant failure, nothing more.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #442
SuperDave

Garage
Quote:
Just sounds to me like there was a whole lot of hand waving going on to explain why they threw so many parts at it.

Cleaning and re-lubing under the bell housing made all the difference in the world. I know my TOB was hanging up, sticking against the snout which did make my clutch less controllable. At times I was afraid to push it hard to the floor for fear of breaking the fork.

Go back, take another look at the pictures I uploaded, and realize that shit ceased being a lubricant a long time ago. It truly was a sticky rosin-like substance that also captured material from the disc.

This is classic lubricant failure, nothing more.
I showed them your post and everything and they said the lubricant was fine, but with techs, you never know, the manager said my clutch was done for...but the service advisor said otherwise.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #443
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I showed them your post and everything and they said the lubricant was fine, but with techs, you never know, the manager said my clutch was done for...but the service advisor said otherwise.
Haha... Did they have the transmission out at the time? Ask them to see it. It's your car, right?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:14 AM   #444
SuperDave

Garage
Quote:
Haha... Did they have the transmission out at the time? Ask them to see it. It's your car, right?
I'll do it next time, I've got another appointment next week. This next time I'll stick around to inspect it but I don't know what their protocol is. I don't want to be that overly pushy customer but i also don't want to be gypped.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:02 PM   #445
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I'll do it next time, I've got another appointment next week. This next time I'll stick around to inspect it but I don't know what their protocol is. I don't want to be that overly pushy customer but i also don't want to be gypped.
There's no way they could tell you anything about the condition of the lube without actually removing the transmission, which takes at least a couple hours of labor.

To be more blunt - those dismissive fucks are feeding you a line of shit. Fucking assholes.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #446
SuperDave

Garage
Quote:
There's no way they could tell you anything about the condition of the lube without actually removing the transmission, which takes at least a couple hours of labor.

To be more blunt - those dismissive fucks are feeding you a line of shit. Fucking assholes.
Well, they did drop the transmission because i had to bring the car in for a secondary inspection. That's what they told me. Otherwise how could they have diagnosed the pressure plate as the culprit and look at the throwout bearing and the clutch?
Old 08-26-2016, 03:25 PM   #447
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Well, they did drop the transmission because i had to bring the car in for a secondary inspection. That's what they told me. Otherwise how could they have diagnosed the pressure plate as the culprit and look at the throwout bearing and the clutch?
Between the first time you took in the car to them telling you "it's not the lube," how long did it take? Minutes, hours?
Old 08-26-2016, 03:47 PM   #448
SuperDave

Garage
Quote:
Between the first time you took in the car to them telling you "it's not the lube," how long did it take? Minutes, hours?
3-4 hours