follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #15
Faulkner

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadthane View Post
No, I didn't need to update to get there. I have the OpenFlash tablet for ECU flashing. I really like it.
The open flash tablet can flash the new update if I need it too? Sorry I am new to all this. When you are tuning your engine I am assuming it the ECU we are altering...so we could flash the need ECU update with this equipment too
Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:29 PM   #16
Qadthane

Drives: 2013 FR-S in Asphalt
It can flash one of the off the shelf tunes all of which have the corrected timing. There are several ways to flash the ECU each with their own strengths and weaknesses. This thread has some decent info on the different ways from a lowest cost perspective.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126669

The links at the bottom of any post by @steve99 are really good reading. There are several guys on here that are knowledgeable and a good resource to learn from.
Qadthane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Qadthane For This Useful Post:
Faulkner (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #17
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkner View Post
Thanks Mike. My build date is: 06/13 on the black driver's side sticker. Is this a clean point? Mine is an AT

I want to track this car and track it often. I guess my options are new seals and a tune or just sell it and move up? I love the car but I don't want to put more money in it. I'd rather save that for the next adventure entirely

Would a tune like this cover the issue? For the cost a may as well get an added benefit
Your car is fine; no need for a tune.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Faulkner (04-11-2018), strat61caster (04-11-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 04:32 PM   #18
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
So I have a 2013 FR-S with only 26K miles on the engine. Finally going to take her to the track this summer, but I've read a few things stating the '13 could have latent engine issue that would cause major issues: https://www.reddit.com/r/ft86/commen...k_reliability/

Do I need to a tune before the track?

I am planning on an Oil cooler, but I am concerned right now based on that post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
My car was built in Dec 2012. It has seen plenty of track, autocross, and mountain time. Most of which is between 4k and max rpm at damn near full load. I have 70k miles on my car now. Aside from a throw out bearing and one coil pack that occasionally says "change me, eh never mind I'm good," I haven't had a single drivetrain issue.

torque app and cheap obd reader can read ECU calibration ID

It found under "Adapter Status" in torque app.

If your ECU calibration is 400C 700C A00C manuals or 400D 700D A00D then it doesn't have the transient retard fix (di seal fix) only later roms ie A01C/D B00C/D and B01C/D had this

Basicly Toyota/Subaru stuffed up a setting in ecu that disable transient retard feature above 5000 rpm. so its mainly a problem for cars shifting gear at or close to redline rpm .

the ignition timing doesnt get retarded on transient (gear shifts or on/off throttle at high rpm) and it can induce bad knock especially on poor quality fuels ie 91 or similar

If you use good fuels it help a lot but does not eliminate the issue.

If you have old rom it would be best to update.

you can update to the new factory rom if you or someone you know has a Tactrix cable ($170 usa) ive posted up the stock factory roms you need here

the same tool can also load aftermarket tunes

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62332

steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #19
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title

Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Thanked 1,182 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Did you get the updates ECU flash?
Haven't had anything touched or changed...ever.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #20
Luken10

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I am having a hard time figuring out the correct answer for this.

I will be tracking my car, so I want to make sure I have this sorted. I have a build date of 06/12, but I have a newer ECU ID of ZA1JB01C. This was flashed by the dealer back in 2014. Am I okay to track using the current rom?

Steve99 makes it seem like I am good, because I have a newer software version. CSG Mike makes it seem like it doesn't matter if I have an upgraded oem tune, only an aftermarket tune will fix the issue.

Not sure if I'm understanding things incorrectly. Can someone provide some clarification?
Luken10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:03 PM   #21
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luken10 View Post
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I am having a hard time figuring out the correct answer for this.

I will be tracking my car, so I want to make sure I have this sorted. I have a build date of 06/12, but I have a newer ECU ID of ZA1JB01C. This was flashed by the dealer back in 2014. Am I okay to track using the current rom?

Steve99 makes it seem like I am good, because I have a newer software version. CSG Mike makes it seem like it doesn't matter if I have an upgraded oem tune, only an aftermarket tune will fix the issue.

Not sure if I'm understanding things incorrectly. Can someone provide some clarification?
Have you checked if your car is under the Valve Spring recall?
I'd personally avoid tracking the car If your car is one of those affected.

As for the DI seal thing, I believe the later flash fixed that o you should be good on that front.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #22
Luken10

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Have you checked if your car is under the Valve Spring recall?
I'd personally avoid tracking the car If your car is one of those affected.

As for the DI seal thing, I believe the later flash fixed that o you should be good on that front.
Yeah, mine is on the list. I'm more okay chancing that particular issue since it hasn't been a widespread issue from my research. The recall still isn't in the stage where people can get their cars fixed yet.
Luken10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, hdpe, reliability, track