follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge

Off-Topic Lounge For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S 86, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2019, 01:43 PM   #62287
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: "Olivia" my Firestorm 6AT FR-S
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 12,857
Thanks: 22,934
Thanked 12,682 Times in 6,221 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Made me curious since there are about 6 stations within about 10 minutes of work. Looks like most cost around $1.50 to $2 per hour. Not sure if there are hidden charges or how long it takes to "fill up" but don't see how it would cost me $38 to charge.


https://chargehub.com/en/stations/on...ml?locId=65975


https://lecircuitelectrique.com/char...ions-and-rates
On your first link, there is a huge difference between the first and second charger (the second one is a fast charger at $20 per hour vs $1.50 for the first one)

Same with the second $2.50 vs $17.00. A full charge on the standard charger would take several hours I suspect, depending on the battery size.
__________________

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #62288
p1l0t
Senior Member
 
p1l0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 5,334
Thanks: 12,801
Thanked 5,050 Times in 2,771 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Is your complaint that they agreed with Trump, or that they don't want to conform to the more restrictive CA standards, or both?



I've never really delved into the details but I always thought it was odd that CA was allowed to do this anyway since its basically interstate commerce.



To me, in the end, if the manufacturers decided they didn't want to deal with the more restrictive standards, they would not sell cars in CA. In the end, if they all banded together they would have the power by just selling "49 state" cars. (Yea, I know its not that simple)
In the States it goes by where the car registered what laws it follows (for better or for worse). For example a Florida registered car could have limo tints all around just about and legally drive into Connecticut. Guaranteed they will pulled over because CT cops hate not being able to see inside of a car but they can't really ticket them. CT registered car they would give them a 20 days notice for inspection if they didn't make them rip off right there on the side of the road or get towed. Same is true for exhaust/emissions all depends on the state. CT they do a visual outside check for a cat and check the OBD-II at like 3k rpms for no CELs (and been though the factory determined cycle since last clear) that's it. No more sniffers because it too easy to just run dry gas and it cost too much money. We are starting to charge gas guzzler and/or luxury taxes on new vehicles though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:47 PM   #62289
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 57,355
Thanks: 50,889
Thanked 80,841 Times in 36,385 Posts
Mentioned: 2095 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
On your first link, there is a huge difference between the first and second charger (the second one is a fast charger at $20 per hour vs $1.50 for the first one)

Same with the second $2.50 vs $17.00. A full charge on the standard charger would take several hours I suspect, depending on the battery size.
OH I didn't read far enough then! That makes far more sense. I was sort of baffled by the huge difference.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #62290
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!
 
Dadhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Drives: "Olivia" my Firestorm 6AT FR-S
Location: Powder Springs, GA
Posts: 12,857
Thanks: 22,934
Thanked 12,682 Times in 6,221 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
In the States it goes by where the car registered what laws it follows (for better or for worse).k
Yea, I get that, but the emissions standard seems like it should be controlled at a higher level.

Also, the CA standards really only apply to the first 7,500 miles of a new car's life. After that, any car can be registered in CA (at least as I understand it). If they were really serious about it, they would restrict the registration of all cars to the stricter standard.
__________________

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:06 PM   #62291
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 13' BRZ
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,642
Thanks: 1,309
Thanked 1,324 Times in 751 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage


I am filing EPA and CARB certs now. And of course CARB changed a standard that greatly complicates things.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:10 PM   #62292
p1l0t
Senior Member
 
p1l0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 5,334
Thanks: 12,801
Thanked 5,050 Times in 2,771 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yea, I get that, but the emissions standard seems like it should be controlled at a higher level.



Also, the CA standards really only apply to the first 7,500 miles of a new car's life. After that, any car can be registered in CA (at least as I understand it). If they were really serious about it, they would restrict the registration of all cars to the stricter standard.
Living in a world where the ignorant masses agree making the rules for everyone else, I'm all for states rights. California (and Connecticut) are great examples. In CT we have Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport voting in higher spending and taxation for everyone else and we can't stop it. By land area CT is actually a red state. But the population is all in like 3 major cities. Broke cities. They tried to make every town pay a flat property tax on cars so the towns who actually live on a good budget could subsidize the cities who over spend and can't afford anything. It's crazy. CT was slowly invaded by the poor. I hope the old republic holds as long as it can but communism is coming, eventually. LOL sorry if that got political I'll self ban myself for 23 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-29-2019), echo419 (10-29-2019), Leonardo (10-30-2019), Spuds (10-30-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #62293
echo419
Senior Member
 
echo419's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 3,075
Thanks: 3,823
Thanked 3,918 Times in 1,823 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yea, I get that, but the emissions standard seems like it should be controlled at a higher level.

Also, the CA standards really only apply to the first 7,500 miles of a new car's life. After that, any car can be registered in CA (at least as I understand it). If they were really serious about it, they would restrict the registration of all cars to the stricter standard.
so you'd either be defacto requiring all manufacturers to keep to the Cali standard thus the law one state making the law for the entire country or they produce a different car for new sales in Cali and seriously discourage people from buying new cars in Cali.
echo419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #62294
Lantanafrs2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2013 frs red
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,309
Thanks: 526
Thanked 746 Times in 460 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
In the States it goes by where the car registered what laws it follows (for better or for worse). For example a Florida registered car could have limo tints all around just about and legally drive into Connecticut. Guaranteed they will pulled over because CT cops hate not being able to see inside of a car but they can't really ticket them. CT registered car they would give them a 20 days notice for inspection if they didn't make them rip off right there on the side of the road or get towed. Same is true for exhaust/emissions all depends on the state. CT they do a visual outside check for a cat and check the OBD-II at like 3k rpms for no CELs (and been though the factory determined cycle since last clear) that's it. No more sniffers because it too easy to just run dry gas and it cost too much money. We are starting to charge gas guzzler and/or luxury taxes on new vehicles though.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Connecticut has been dying a slow death regardless of governing parties. Dont blame the failures of your party of choice on 3 cities
Lantanafrs2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:25 PM   #62295
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 13' BRZ
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,642
Thanks: 1,309
Thanked 1,324 Times in 751 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo419 View Post
so you'd either be defacto requiring all manufacturers to keep to the Cali standard thus the law one state making the law for the entire country or they produce a different car for new sales in Cali and seriously discourage people from buying new cars in Cali.
The standards are actually not that much different, they are pretty much within the tolerance of each other. ARB and EPA have their own certification and they don't recognize each others standard.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:38 PM   #62296
p1l0t
Senior Member
 
p1l0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 5,334
Thanks: 12,801
Thanked 5,050 Times in 2,771 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Connecticut has been dying a slow death regardless of governing parties. Dont blame the failures of your party of choice on 3 cities
I'm an independent actually, so not my party either way. Fiscally I am definitely conservative though. The problem is spending though and it isn't the far left trying to slow it down for sure. Anyway I didn't want to get too political just making the point that standardization isn't always the best idea when the people who don't even drive cars would probably have the majority vote...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #62297
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 57,355
Thanks: 50,889
Thanked 80,841 Times in 36,385 Posts
Mentioned: 2095 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
The standards are actually not that much different, they are pretty much within the tolerance of each other. ARB and EPA have their own certification and they don't recognize each others standard.
Many of the standards requirements for 2025 are global and not just the US or even California. The European standards are already far greater than even California so the manufacturers are going to have to meet them anyway. Not sure what value pushing them out a year has beyond political posturing anyway.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-29-2019), NoHaveMSG (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 04:14 PM   #62298
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 13' BRZ
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,642
Thanks: 1,309
Thanked 1,324 Times in 751 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Many of the standards requirements for 2025 are global and not just the US or even California. The European standards are already far greater than even California so the manufacturers are going to have to meet them anyway. Not sure what value pushing them out a year has beyond political posturing anyway.
I am not surprised, I haven't bothered too much with looking at the global standards. I just think it is ridiculous we have two regulatory bodies with almost identical standards that don't recognize each other certification in the same country. If ARB chooses not to recognize Euro-6 certification that's one thing. But not recognize EPA
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #62299
IceFyre13th
Senior Member
 
IceFyre13th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: Zoom Zoom
Location: Arizona
Posts: 788
Thanks: 357
Thanked 551 Times in 308 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
so...inhale....hows the artificial power supply loss doing to prevent forest fires while saving the spotted owl in the redwood forest while simultaneously reducing your water shortage by painting your lawn green ....inhale.... going for you.


Yeah, I already own ocean side property!!!!!
__________________
Sold the FR-S, bought a better car.....


And that means the recall is someone else's problem.....
IceFyre13th is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IceFyre13th For This Useful Post:
echo419 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 02:28 AM   #62300
EAGLE5
Dismember
 
EAGLE5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Location: Castro Valley
Posts: 5,081
Thanks: 1,956
Thanked 3,507 Times in 1,931 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
They make crate electric motors now. You can throw it in any old frame you want (with a little welding)..
You could always buy a motor. You're much better off getting a used crashed EV and transferring components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Made me curious since there are about 6 stations within about 10 minutes of work. Looks like most cost around $1.50 to $2 per hour. Not sure if there are hidden charges or how long it takes to "fill up" but don't see how it would cost me $38 to charge.
I paid more because I wanted to use the app that would give me updates on charge and such. I could have swiped a credit card, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo419 View Post
I'm sure they'll manage just fine without you.

given the way California has managed to increase it's homeless population, tax it's citizens into being forced to leave and practically encourage massive forest fires among a pile of other things it's probably a safe bet that taking the opposite side to their almost nonstop failed policies is a good idea.
I've bought Chevy, Dodge, Ram, Fiat, Subaru, Toyota, Jaguar, and BMW new. I don't think any of them would want to lose my business. I'm a fucking gold mine to these companies.

Your statements about California are cluelessly oversimplified. Shame on you. There are a lot of homeless people in California. This has to do with countless reasons, including housing costs, climate, criminalization, and available public support. Forcing people to leave? Well, the high cost of living can do that. Encouraging forest fires? How exactly? Climate change is California's fault? By having power lines? People like to blame politicians, but there are a million issues, from NIMBYism to capitalism to greedy human nature. Your simple take is simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Is your complaint that they agreed with Trump, or that they don't want to conform to the more restrictive CA standards, or both?

I've never really delved into the details but I always thought it was odd that CA was allowed to do this anyway since its basically interstate commerce.

To me, in the end, if the manufacturers decided they didn't want to deal with the more restrictive standards, they would not sell cars in CA. In the end, if they all banded together they would have the power by just selling "49 state" cars. (Yea, I know its not that simple)
The history is that California had a lot of people and therefore a lot of pollution, so California regulated when the rest of the country did not. Then the feds came in, full of ignorance about California's needs, and made a deal where California could keep regulating its own air. The needs of Wisconsin have little to do with the needs of California.

There were 49 and 50 state cars. There may still be some. Mostly, California is the biggest market for cars in the country. Its standards are in line with Europe and other places that have a clue about reality and climate change. These listed car companies are not only anti-science and anti-humanity, they're just stupid. The short term advantages are tiny and the long term disadvantages are massive.

Trump is just the American tip of the self-annihilation spear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Well shit. No good cars left. If Tesla weren't fugly, maybe.
They are fugly. Jaguar I-Pace is nice. New mini EV. Fiat 500e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Completely get that. I think if the electrification of the fleet hits critical mass I suspect charging away from home will be more expensive than gas now, just because the utilization of those stations won't be as high. If I drove an EV, there would probably be less than a a couple of dozen times a year I would need to charge away from home.

Just thought it was interesting to compare your "on the road" charging to what an ICE would cost in the same situation.
It's not good for EVs, but there's little competition. Electrify America has a monopoly. Then the Tesla people are charging for cheap or free. So if you wanna charge on long trips, get a Tesla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFyre13th View Post
so...inhale....hows the artificial power supply loss doing to prevent forest fires while saving the spotted owl in the redwood forest while simultaneously reducing your water shortage by painting your lawn green ....inhale.... going for you.

Yeah, I already own ocean side property!!!!!
Ocean front property will more and more be tidal lands. Enjoy it while it lasts. Don't build an expensive home.

All you said was bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Living in a world where the ignorant masses agree making the rules for everyone else, I'm all for states rights. California (and Connecticut) are great examples. In CT we have Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport voting in higher spending and taxation for everyone else and we can't stop it. By land area CT is actually a red state. But the population is all in like 3 major cities. Broke cities. They tried to make every town pay a flat property tax on cars so the towns who actually live on a good budget could subsidize the cities who over spend and can't afford anything. It's crazy. CT was slowly invaded by the poor. I hope the old republic holds as long as it can but communism is coming, eventually. LOL sorry if that got political I'll self ban myself for 23 minutes.
Historically, states rights was all about having slaves. CT is not being invaded by the poor. More people are getting poor because the system is broken. Want statistics? Communism may or may not be coming, but a revolution might be. If Trump doesn't declare martial law, Sanders might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo419 View Post
so you'd either be defacto requiring all manufacturers to keep to the Cali standard thus the law one state making the law for the entire country or they produce a different car for new sales in Cali and seriously discourage people from buying new cars in Cali.
People seem pretty happy buying cars designed for California. The CARB states are Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Mexico, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington. If you wanna make a car for that segment of the population and another for the rest, go ahead, but you're an idiot for doing so. That's most of the strongest markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Connecticut has been dying a slow death regardless of governing parties. Dont blame the failures of your party of choice on 3 cities
This is true everywhere. Both parties have more than their share of idiots in command.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
The standards are actually not that much different, they are pretty much within the tolerance of each other. ARB and EPA have their own certification and they don't recognize each others standard.
Yeah, but if I can save $5 per car, screw my grandkids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I'm an independent actually, so not my party either way. Fiscally I am definitely conservative though. The problem is spending though and it isn't the far left trying to slow it down for sure. Anyway I didn't want to get too political just making the point that standardization isn't always the best idea when the people who don't even drive cars would probably have the majority vote...
People say the left wants to spend, but so does the right. All that conservative financial bullshit went out the window the day they came into office. The current regime has rung up the biggest budget deficit in history, and that's during good times. If we hit bad times with this deficit, we're totally screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Many of the standards requirements for 2025 are global and not just the US or even California. The European standards are already far greater than even California so the manufacturers are going to have to meet them anyway. Not sure what value pushing them out a year has beyond political posturing anyway.
As a Californian, I am so pissed that plug-in hybrids are a big thing. I don't want them, but they're made to meet EU in-city EV demands. I want more pure EVs, but no... EU regulations are fucking over my choices. 8, 12, 22 miles of range? DAMNIT!

/s
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
cjd (10-30-2019), Ultramaroon (10-30-2019)
Reply

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, member berries, never forget, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, touch me, trackmyfarts, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Random thoughts thread MrVito Off-Topic Lounge 37188 02-25-2016 11:00 AM
Found some rust on a part... what part is this, and is it a problem? flashburn Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 3 05-02-2015 09:56 PM
Got hit (bumped)! Need part number for the black part of bumper. scottsampaio.com Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) 27 04-25-2014 12:05 AM
Random Rubber Part OoLong Subaru BRZ General Forum 8 01-28-2014 11:31 AM
Crew Carshow : Part Deux 9/7/13 saiyajinimports Great Lakes 0 08-17-2013 05:18 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.