follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2017, 08:23 AM   #71
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
In this sense, yes. But then i'd change it rather to "add generic OOB dongle functionality to it so it can be reused with torque alike apps", then ask to "develop something similar". Isn't Ecutek tunable platforms a bit narrower niche then OBD in general / apps for displaying it's data? Yet they will need to pay as much for developer manhours as torque did, to reinvent wheel, as making something subpar (even if just by customisability or graphical eye candy) will rather rise users criticising/comparing with. That extra devpower may count to lot of money. And should those costs be pushed down on all the ecutek users? Just bluetooth dongle buyers? You'll be ok with paying $500 extra?
Don't forget how many platforms that this is across, not just the BRZ ;-) I know the head guys at EcuTek and if they can deliver a more rounded package then that will be beneficial. Every time I ask/request something it goes on the list of things to investigate, that has to be fitted in with developments on all their different platforms.

I believe that the EVI will only work with ECU Connect App. I'm sure getting more visual gauge style viewing is not going to be alot of extra man hours. Consider the possible platforms that they have not been able to get functioning which have been dropped and the man hours invested in those and I'm sure that the time required to add app functionality is low. All of the above is why you pay extra for EcuTek, they are always working on something. Look at the recent Ford products for example. As above, I expect the EVI product to become the standard interface product. Over here the GT-R owners have gone pretty crazy for the EVI and the Honda owners are intrigued how much better EcuTek seems than their previous options.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #72
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
If it's there, I can't seem to do it. You can log the input values on ProECU but can't have the BT and USB running simultaneously so it's a bit pointless.

As the BT device appears to be becoming the replacement of the original cable product, I doubt it will take away any sales. I now log using the phone, it's just so much easier, and then send to Dropbox when it's done. It's on my laptop almost immediately. The phone also remembers your parameters, so you don't have to add/remove every time like the laptop software. The only time I would rather full laptop use is for the dyno for instant log viewing and map adjustments and hence why being able to manipulate the 5 custom inputs via the cable and laptop would be a great idea.
Yeah that would be great if fhey added the ability to manipulate the custom inputs via laptop software , assume the ecu will remember the custom settings untill its changed again. I need some more switches as ive used them all up,
Ability to change launch ffs and auto blip independant on the map\mode selection would be good, as i have 4 differnt fuel on the map modes i would like to be able to switch the other features on\off via laptop custom inputs
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:28 AM   #73
Kodename47

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Yeah that would be great if fhey added the ability to manipulate the custom inputs via laptop software , assume the ecu will remember the custom settings untill its changed again. I need some more switches as ive used them all up,
Ability to change launch ffs and auto blip independant on the map\mode selection would be good, as i have 4 differnt fuel on the map modes i would like to be able to switch the other features on\off via laptop custom inputs
There is a default setting for the Custom Input so I would expect it to default back to this on startup/reset. Therefore you would need your laptop whenever you need to use them. Plus the current way those features work would require more custom outputs, as the inputs are just additional input parameters for custom maps. However there is LC RPM adjustment on the app....

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 11-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #74
Kodename47

Been playing with app recently. They are continually updating it and it now has Dashboards, basically gauges, which can be setup and customised and with logging speeds the same or better than standard ProECU on the laptop. This makes it much easier to use and a world away from using Torque etc. Anyway, below are a couple of themes that I have been testing/creating over the last week. For reference these are on a Google Pixel, different size screens like tablets/iPads etc allow for different configurations.

Futuristic
I'd seen a similar one for the GTR so this was my 1st attempt.

GT86
You can have multiple screens on one theme that increases the logging parameters and accessed by swiping across, as seen here.

Gazoo Racing
Bye bye TRD, GR are the new official tuning arm of Toyota.

Abbey Motorsport
Thought I'd do one for my favourite garage too.

Kodename 47 DJ:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
JEFFSTYLE (11-20-2017), Tor (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #75
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
That looks very nice. I think the time has come for me to go Ecutek.

Does anyone know when the flash capable BT interface will be available?

Also out of curiosity, is the app capable of logging brake pressure and lat/long G-force?

To build my own tune, I would need: license, the BT interface, and Racerom - correct?
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #76
Kodename47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
That looks very nice. I think the time has come for me to go Ecutek.

Does anyone know when the flash capable BT interface will be available?

Also out of curiosity, is the app capable of logging brake pressure and lat/long G-force?

To build my own tune, I would need: license, the BT interface, and Racerom - correct?
You can flash with the device but you need a Mini-USB cable to do it via the laptop. Just looking at the parameters I see:
Brake Switch
Braking Force (< Pressure?)
Lateral G Force
Longitudinal G Force

To build a basic tune you need:
License for the ECU
BT EVI Interface
Dongle (Not sure if packaged with EVI yet)

You only need the RaceROM upgrade if you want to build using Custom Maps and configure mapswitch modes 2-4.

Kodename 47 DJ:
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Tor (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 08:34 PM   #77
Tor

Quote:
You can flash with the device but you need a Mini-USB cable to do it via the laptop. Just looking at the parameters I see:
Brake Switch
Braking Force (< Pressure?)
Lateral G Force
Longitudinal G Force

To build a basic tune you need:
License for the ECU
BT EVI Interface
Dongle (Not sure if packaged with EVI yet)

You only need the RaceROM upgrade if you want to build using Custom Maps and configure mapswitch modes 2-4.
Thanks!

Fennsport has this now, so it would appear the dongle is extra... That's pushing it a bit in my opinion:
https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/toy...e-license-key/

They don't exactly make it an easy choice for DIY tuners. I wish there was a package solution. 799 Gbp ex. VAT and shipping for all of it is a pretty steep price.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:13 AM   #78
Kodename47

Quote:
Thanks!

Fennsport has this now, so it would appear the dongle is extra... That's pushing it a bit in my opinion:
https://www.fensport.co.uk/parts/toy...e-license-key/

They don't exactly make it an easy choice for DIY tuners. I wish there was a package solution. 799 Gbp ex. VAT and shipping for all of it is a pretty steep price.
I guess it's not aimed at DIY tuners though. Only the MX5 and BRZ come with end user software. I believe the dongle was extra as the BT EVI wasn't designed for flashing so they didn't want to sell it as a flashing kit. I wonder if you could get a deal or if it will soon come together as I recently I noticed a change in the wording on their support site.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 11-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #79
Tor

Quote:
I guess it's not aimed at DIY tuners though. Only the MX5 and BRZ come with end user software. I believe the dongle was extra as the BT EVI wasn't designed for flashing so they didn't want to sell it as a flashing kit. I wonder if you could get a deal or if it will soon come together as I recently I noticed a change in the wording on their support site.
It was not aimed at Fennsport, they probably offer it as a service since Ecutek doesn't provide a dongle right now.

But I am just wondering that Ecutek doesn't target the DIY market at all. Maybe it's to avoid conflict with the pro tuners. Even though I don't think it would cut much in their sales.

On the contrary I think it could work the otherway around. A pro tuner would get the sales of the DIY package instead of the custommer buying an OFT or a Tactrix. And if the pro tuner is clever, he could sell the custommer extra (like a nice dyno graph), or support and helping the custommer solve problems. In the end they could, in some cases, probably earn more than just slapping a tune on the car.

Getting a bit off topic, but who knows maybe some dealers or Ecutek read along here.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #80
Kodename47

Quote:
It was not aimed at Fennsport, they probably offer it as a service since Ecutek doesn't provide a dongle right now.

But I am just wondering that Ecutek doesn't target the DIY market at all. Maybe it's to avoid conflict with the pro tuners. Even though I don't think it would cut much in their sales.

On the contrary I think it could work the otherway around. A pro tuner would get the sales of the DIY package instead of the custommer buying an OFT or a Tactrix. And if the pro tuner is clever, he could sell the custommer extra (like a nice dyno graph), or support and helping the custommer solve problems. In the end they could, in some cases, probably earn more than just slapping a tune on the car.

Getting a bit off topic, but who knows maybe some dealers or Ecutek read along here.
Dongles are available individually, I know as I had to buy one when I broke mine. They are not often advertised but any Master Tuner can get them.

EcuTek have always done through tuners, I guess to be seen as a premium product. They went end user on the BRZ/86 due to demand on here, so they do listen. I actually appreciate what they do and what they charge as I know the amount of work that goes on there (I've been there) and they are always in constant development of all their products, this is on top of the new cars/projects they take on.

Lets compare this to the usual OFT choice:
Complete logging functionality on new ROM types - Check
Support team that always responds and takes suggestions - Check
Continual development of the product - Check

Just look at the new Phase 6 GT-R product, I know that an update is coming for us soon. Not quite to that level but certainly a nice update never the less.

Kodename 47 DJ:
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Tor (11-18-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #81
zkahle

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I apologize in advance if this has already been asked, but has anyone been able to confirm a third party bluetooth OBD reader that is compatible with the app? Not having to spend $300+ for this would be great.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #82
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkahle View Post
I apologize in advance if this has already been asked, but has anyone been able to confirm a third party bluetooth OBD reader that is compatible with the app? Not having to spend $300+ for this would be great.
I think what ecutek is saying is their blutooth interface would respnd to generic obd requests from say the "torque" app for reading codes only. ie the ecutek dongle would work as a generic blutooth reader.

I dont think you will be able to use a different blutooth module in place of the ecutek one. Ecutek are not going to develop software and allow free use of thier blotooth app with a cheap generic blutooth dongle. basicly your paying for the ecutek app and ecutek software interface by pating for the ecutek dongle
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #83
Kodename47

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkahle View Post
As @steve99 said, it means that you can use the device to read DTC codes off other cars. The app is not compatible with generic ELM devices.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 05-16-2019, 04:49 PM   #84
Kodename47

Anyone else noticed that the pedal dance has arrived?

Kodename 47 DJ: