follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #1751
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You can t improve mechanically the 26ms opening of PI. Tell your tuner to reduce it and augment DI
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #1752
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
My tuner said on the low boost pulley there has been no fuel problems so that is good but it doesn’t answer what the cause was. Im thinking fuel delivery from an old fuel filter. I am at 63k.

I appreciate the advice. Unfortunately the tuning part of things is out of my hands. Only the mechanical stuff can I improve.
On the low boost pulley, PI ratio max out at less than 42%. On the high boost, it's almost 47%. They run some kind of custom table that varies the PI ratio. Maybe it cranks up the PI ratio too much and DI is not being properly utilized. Or maybe they are right and you have a hardware issue.

Even if the tuning is out of your hands, providing feedback and/or asking critical questions to the tuner is not (before forking out 1000 of $ to correct a possible non-issue). I assume it was the quest for help with this feedback/critical questioning that prompted you to ask the question in "software tuning" and not "Engine, Exhaust, Transmission".

As such, my advice to log what their custom stuff is doing still stands, as they will have a better chance of spotting if it's doing something unintentional.

Also, given the long "injection end of DI to spark", it might be worth logging "DI injection angle". If the fuel is injected early, combined with the large VVT overlap, is it possible that it's flushing some of the fuel right through the combustion chamber?

Another option is to let another tuner give it a go. Like HRI tuning which has a lot of experience with FI. This won't cost you a lot, as you already have a license and the hardware required. Or you could start out by sending an inquiry if he thinks your setup should work without upgrading the fuel system.

This is not to discredit DT at all, as they have tons of experience and I have a lot of respect for them. But maybe their stuff just doesn't work in your case for whatever reason. I suppose you are getting the tuning done remotely, and it might be difficult for them to pinpoint the problem and it's easier to suggest for you to upgrade your fuel system.

In general, remote tuning is a premade tune canned tune, that is lightly adjusted to fit the individual car as the tuner will have time constraints how much time they can spend on each customer to keep a profitable business. If approaching the tuning of your car with another methodology might solve your problem without the requirement for hardware upgrades it could potentially save you a lot of money.

Maybe it's worth spending 400$ to try an alternative solution before buying new injectors etc. Like you started out saying, the stock fuel system should be able to handle 11 psi boost.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #1753
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
I appreciate the response.

My main reason for the post was to determine if my tune could elicit what is my hardware problem. Most of what your saying is frankly going over my head. I trust them with the tuning side of things, but I’ll definitely explore all my option like you suggested before throwing money at replacing parts. For now, I am fine with the low boost pulley. The 11-12 psi pulley made the car a beast; I can hardly imagine the rods surviving long at that level, regardless of what people may claim the car can handle. I’m more comfortable at the lower boost pulley, yet I would like to address the fueling issue, if there is a problem. Maybe it is not an issue stock or with the low boost pulley, but there must be a problem.

I may end up looking into checking out the fuel pump filter like ai mentioned. Reading the pages I have seen pics of some gummed up filters. Who knows if the previous owner used e85 or put some additives or cleaners in the fuel.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #1754
tomm.brz

Also with the low pulley actually the PI opening is a bit too high. If you trust them just ask them why they are keeping PI duty so high that the time of opening goes over what ecutek reccomends and why they don t use more DI since it has a lot of room still
Irace86.2.0 (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 04:18 PM   #1755
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
Also with the low pulley actually the PI opening is a bit too high. If you trust them just ask them why they are keeping PI duty so high that the time of opening goes over what ecutek reccomends and why they don t use more DI since it has a lot of room still
Some new logs since the latest tune.

The car feels really good and smooth on boost. There are some times where the car has some delay or hesitation. This is off the line with low throttle input. Seems like gas is applied then there is a given amount of power then suddenly there is a surge of power, and it rapidly drops off. I don't know if this is the valve sticking on the supercharger, or some threshold where it isn't opening until then suddenly does or a variance in throttle position that is leading to a change in mapping or the valve. I usually have to give it some extra gas then back off as it surges then when it subsides a second in I can add more throttle, or I have to just take off faster with more input, and then it is smooth. I'd rather not drive like an ass 24/7 though. It is definitely manageable, but not smooth. I don't know if it is possible the clutch is slipping then engaging, but it doesn't smell or skip.

The other time is when the car is in 6th gear at 65-70; adding throttle input (not WOT, just partial) at this time gives little feedback--less feedback than stock for passing in these situations. Sure, I could downshift, but I was assuming I would have more power in all situations from stock.

https://datazap.me/u/jirace/new-pulls?log=0&data=29
Old 06-29-2018, 09:22 AM   #1756
Proseph

Drives: Supercharged 2016 CBS BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys, I noticed a loss of power in my BRZ and my tuner said it may be due to an DI or cylinder misfire issue. I logged the #1-4 Cylinder Misfire parameters and I see a "1" in the "Maximum" column for cylinder 3. All the other cylinders have 0s. Does this "1" in the maximum column mean cylinder 3 is misfiring? I'm using Ecutek so I thought this thread might be able to help.
Proseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #1757
GenRuleAThumb

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Bad missfires breaking up at 3-3.5k

https://datazap.me/u/genruleathumb/b...zoom=1928-2293

https://datazap.me/u/genruleathumb/b...zoom=5869-6928

High negative fuel trims

JRSC C38
91 Octane
Delicious Tune

Not tune related as it manifested itself lately

Any help appreciated
GenRuleAThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:03 AM   #1758
airrick

Drives: TRD R.S. 1.0 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
weird spike in fuel trims for a few minutes.
OFT V4.03 E85 tune.

spikes to 13-14 for a few minutes. was worried. but it stabilizes. Im assuming my E85 was just very high ethanol content im assuming.
Any insight will be appreciated.
thanks

https://datazap.me/u/bboyairrick/wtf...7-8-9-10-13-14
airrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:49 AM   #1759
Irace86.2.0

@Tor

Hey man, I received a new tune that dramatically improved tip in response, low speed and low throttle behavior, and there seemed to be more power too. I don’t know what was changed from previous tunes, but it made a nice difference. Here is the log from a WOT pull which felt on par to the norm:

https://datazap.me/u/jirace/after-ne...29-46-49-50-52

Then I got a revision that left the behavior of the last tune intact but felt a little less powerful at the expense of smoothness in delivery. At least these were what the butt and foot felt. Here is the log:

https://datazap.me/u/jirace/tune-ref...23-29-49-50-51

I was curious if things look as good as they feel, and more importantly, if there is evidence of a fuel problem or inadequacy. I’d like to go back to the smaller 85mm pulley, but I don’t if there is a problem with the tune or fuel. I’d be willing to upgrade the port injectors or fuel pump if necessary.

I added a few parameters; is 90% fuel pump duty normal at WOT. Also, the total fuel Pi and Di seem to fluctuate a lot at the top even if AFR is flat.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:26 AM   #1760
tomm.brz

DI is still underused while PI is at his limit almost
afr is ok because they activated CL fuel control with ecutek racerom v10

fuel pump duty is normal
i got more total fuel quantity from a restricted hks v2 SC kit, with stock pump stock injectors so i dont think you have problems, it is just the tune that is horrible

who is your tuner, I forgot? your tune looks so bad that I want to be sure to stay away from him
Irace86.2.0 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 05:54 AM   #1761
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I dont think it racerom 10 closed loop fueling as the short termand long term trims are both zero.

It looks like standard open loop eith ltft disabled

Sonething serms strange with fueling with the pi and di quantities flapping up and down after half way through run

Could possibly be di comluter not grounded correctly make sure all bolts inserted and tight.

Or fuel pump pressure issue low pressure pump in tank

Or somthing very weird in tune
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (07-31-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 06:08 AM   #1762
tomm.brz

@steve99 look at cl fuel. Correction %.. That s racerom v10 enabled.. And they got abad maf scaling too cause the correction is always 10% of worse
also CL statu is 31, 31 means closed loop of racerom v10 activated
cl rr10 doesnt use neither short term or long term to apply corrections

They just enabled cl on rr10 to have a good afr but all the rest is just bad, they should. Reduce PI and put more DI to start with
PI time is over 16ms, while DI end ms is almost 5ms, DI has sooo much room still

The vvt cam setting look stupid too and ign timings are pretty low

Last edited by tomm.brz; 07-30-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:43 AM   #1763
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
@steve99 look at cl fuel. Correction %.. That s racerom v10 enabled.. And they got abad maf scaling too cause the correction is always 10% of worse
also CL statu is 31, 31 means closed loop of racerom v10 activated
cl rr10 doesnt use neither short term or long term to apply corrections

They just enabled cl on rr10 to have a good afr but all the rest is just bad, they should. Reduce PI and put more DI to start with
PI time is over 16ms, while DI end ms is almost 5ms, DI has sooo much room still

The vvt cam setting look stupid too and ign timings are pretty low
It is from zach at Delicious tuning. What I have been told is:

Quote:
The only thing I'm seeing here that concerns me is that you're getting tip in correction where you shouldn't be.

Everything else looks great. The biggest cause of the tip in symptoms I'm seeing are typically DI seals. I would recommend you inspect and replace those, since we'd already seen those symptoms in the past.
Some have described the DI seals being an issue with bad idle and a popping sound. I don’t have that, trouble codes, or obvious misfires; I never have.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:19 AM   #1764
tomm.brz

omg...

they improved your tune by reducing PI, but they should reduce even more because 16 ms of PI opening is too much
DI is underused
maf scaling is bad, with a constant correction of more than 10% by raceromV10
how would be concerned also at how they set up engine load limits, the "tip in" leaning you re getting could also be because of that
and that is causing a lot of flkc at low rpm