follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2018, 10:22 PM   #1
psimitar

Drives: FA20 converted 1957 VW Bus
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fuel supply system query

Hiya y'all,

I've just joined this forum as I'm trying to find out how the stock fuel system on the 86/BRZ works.

Now don't shoot me for this next bit as I'm doing the mechanics for a mates project.
So an FA20 is being installed into a 1957 VW Bus. It's had a custom ali tank made and I'm trying to figure out thfuel system.
From what I've managed to glean from research the OEM system appears to use a fuel pressure regulator built into the in-tank pump/baffle unit. Is this correct?
I can see that the OEM only uses a single outlet from the in tank unit with no return so sounds like the regulator is in the in tank unit but then to run the multipoint and direct injection rails the supply line must have a Y connector in it somewhere? Correct?
But then what is the little solenoid bolted to the underside of the inlet manifold on the side where the mechanical fuel pump is? IS it some kind of vacuum line solenoid or part of the vapour purge system?

Thanks In advance,
Mike
psimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:18 AM   #2
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psimitar View Post
Hiya y'all,

I've just joined this forum as I'm trying to find out how the stock fuel system on the 86/BRZ works.

Now don't shoot me for this next bit as I'm doing the mechanics for a mates project.
So an FA20 is being installed into a 1957 VW Bus. It's had a custom ali tank made and I'm trying to figure out thfuel system.
From what I've managed to glean from research the OEM system appears to use a fuel pressure regulator built into the in-tank pump/baffle unit. Is this correct?
I can see that the OEM only uses a single outlet from the in tank unit with no return so sounds like the regulator is in the in tank unit but then to run the multipoint and direct injection rails the supply line must have a Y connector in it somewhere? Correct?
But then what is the little solenoid bolted to the underside of the inlet manifold on the side where the mechanical fuel pump is? IS it some kind of vacuum line solenoid or part of the vapour purge system?

Thanks In advance,
Mike

Yes, the fuel pressure regulator is in the in tank pump canister.

There's a Y close by the fuel tank that separates into two lines, one for direct injectors and one for port.

The solenoid below the intake is the EVAP solenoid. You're basically correct on your assumptions.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:09 AM   #3
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Link to the manuals is in my sig line.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Hope you know the engine is both old school port injection AND direct injection.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #5
psimitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Link to the manuals is in my sig line.
Awesome. Thank you
Old 10-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #6
psimitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Yes, the fuel pressure regulator is in the in tank pump canister.

There's a Y close by the fuel tank that separates into two lines, one for direct injectors and one for port.

The solenoid below the intake is the EVAP solenoid. You're basically correct on your assumptions.
Much thanks for clarifying my thoughts.

Good to know the evap solenoid can now be deleted from this particular vehicle
The Following User Says Thank You to psimitar For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (10-20-2018)