follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
P&L Motorsports

Drives: '13 Turbo BRZ (AT) & '13 FRS
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
P&L Motorsports 2013 BRZ Build!

After a 3 month wait after pre-ordering our BRZ it finally arrived yesterday, actually 5 days early from its promised delivery date. We purchased it from at Grand Subaru in Bensenville, IL and we couldn't be happier with the experience. We opted for the premium option with the 6-speed auto, spoiler, fender flares and (gas door decal) lol.

Here is a picture of the car 20 min after it got unloaded from the truck.

Some pictures from in front of the shop

After the 6 mile calm drive from the dealership to the shop I have got to admit that the seats in this car have got to be the nicest most comfortable and supportive seats to ever come in a subaru. I decided to wait for traffic to die down in the evening before it was time to see what this BRZ has to offer on our test track outside the shop. Overall I will give this car an A++ on the handling, it has a very responsive steering system and is very tight with hardly any slop. The ride is very comfortable yet sportscar feeling and is very pleasant to drive, even at 110 mph, yes with only 13 miles on the odo its been to 110 already. No easy breakins here.LOL
Having got the 6 speed auto I was kindoff worried about how it would shift, how well the paddle shift system would work and how responsive it was since its not a double clutch system like most new auto sports cars.Again Subaru did not disappoint us here again, under normal driving the shifts are fast but tame and soft, under power the shifts are even faster and actually pretty hard which is good for saving the clutch packs and not adding extra heat in the trans from slow shifts. The paddle shifts are mounted to the steering wheel and could be a bit bigger, but I do have big hands so maybe its just my preference. I will tell you that the coolest part about the trans is you can downshift as fast as you'd like from 6th to 1st and actually bang the revlimiter without being told no, and on the downshifts the engine actually rev matches automatically.

Now here comes the part that everyone wants to know, is it fast? Well it depends by what you mean by "fast". Fast and nimble in the corners? able to be a great autocross car? have the ability to outhandle an STI, Miata, S2000 right from the factory floor? The answer to all those questions is Yes and I think it can do it very well.
Now if you say fast in straight line acceleration well I think maybe Dave Mirra on his 10 speed huffy might be able to keep up! It is slow! Slower than a stock wrx slow. Granted this might be because of the auto but even with a manual I don't see things getting much faster.

But lets be honest this car is not means to be a dyno/dragstrip queen, if you want that go buy a GTR or Mustand GT500. This car is meant to be driven on the road and give you that goosbump feeling of going on an onramp at 80mph or taking it to the autocross track on a sunday and taking the trophy home, but also be able to drive it to work on Monday morning with the A/C on without any worries.

Needless to say we will be doing a lot to this car over the next month or two looking at improving everything on this car it lacks, and providing the community with some great Made in the USA upgrades.

Here is the car just 8 hrs after receiving it in our R&D department ready for some upgrades.

Stay tuned for more upgrades to come.

And make sure you like us on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/PandLMotorSports
P&L Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to P&L Motorsports For This Useful Post:
bimmerboy (06-04-2012), ChrisOkc8 (06-23-2012), ESBjiujitsu (06-05-2012), Fly Guy (06-06-2012), Guff (08-17-2012), Lonewolf (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
P&L Motorsports

Test fitting Advan Rims and fabricating new catback.

The Following User Says Thank You to P&L Motorsports For This Useful Post:
ESBjiujitsu (06-05-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
P&L Motorsports

We got the car off the lift last night and here is what it looks like as of this morning. The preliminary exhaust prototype is also done but I cant post pics just yet!

We also received the first set of BRZ coilovers thanks to our good friends and Sponsors of our STI dragcar "KW Automotive" they are looking great!

Stay tuned for more updates!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P&L Motorsports For This Useful Post:
BRZranger (08-17-2012), ESBjiujitsu (06-05-2012), Guff (08-17-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
P&L Motorsports

Update: The BRZ got a workout this weekend. With just 200 miles on the clock, this past Friday I decided to join a couple of my customers at Autobahn country club for the SCCA driving event there. With my past racing experience I was able to go into the advanced group and really open the car up. The BRZ is such a pleasure to drive on the track and is really a whole different animal then on the street. Its a very well balanced and neutral feeling car, a little more body roll then expected but for the stock suspension it was actually very good.
After 3 sessions of wideopen testing I did start to experience quite a lot of brake fade and started to boil the fluid to the point where braking was almost not existent. Overall the car gets a 9 out of 10 from me.

Then on Monday with 350 miles on the BRZ I took it to Great Lakes dragway to test the car on the 1/4 mile, here is where I really didn't have my hopes up to much (since the BRZ is not a straight away car but more a Autocross/ Roadrace car) but I was kind off hoping for something in the 15 sec range.
Well the best out of two runs was a 16.5 at 86 mph.

Needless to say a little disapointing but we all know thats not what the car is built for. Below is a video of the 16.5 run with our new P&L BRZ catback Exhaust.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_VR2b7ya_Q"]P&L 2013 BRZ[/ame]

Paul@ P&L

Please make sure to like us on face book for more updates!
ESBjiujitsu (06-05-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
P&L Motorsports

The BRZ has a lot of new R&D P&L parts on it since our last update.

Some preliminary pictures of our P&L BRZ catback exhaust. This is type 1 of the 3 seperate style types we will be producing. Hope you guys like it!

ESBjiujitsu (06-05-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Thank you for the experiences/photos.

Are you guys planning on tuning the car, or just doing more basic bolt-ons?

Also, are you looking to upgrade the brakes for track duty?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Cheddar
Saving them pennies...

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Wouldn't the side without the muffler sound different then the one with and would exhaust flow more out the driver side due to less restriction?

Very unique cat-back design.
Cheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #8
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
That's a different way to plumb an exhaust...

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
*KID*
86-er

Drives: BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
exhaust sounds pretty rowdy man...were you the only one racing or was there a v8 next to it?

I think the different exhaust makers should get together and see which makes more power on a stock frs/brz on stock tune
*KID* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Drives: Mazdaspeed 6 2.3 AWD Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
awesome!!!!! love all the information here!!! and thank you for the pics and video!!! great stufff!

92 carmy -> 86 corolla-> Honda S2000 -> Audi TT -> Mazdaspeed6 -> NEXT UP TOYOTA FT-86!!!!
ESBjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Did I miss type of rubber that you are running?
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #12
P&L Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Thank you for the experiences/photos.

Are you guys planning on tuning the car, or just doing more basic bolt-ons?

Also, are you looking to upgrade the brakes for track duty?
Thx! Yes we are actually waiting for our ECUTEC software to arrive and we are really looking forward to tuning this thing. AS far as brakes the BRZ just got a BREMBO Big Brake Kit installed over the weekend. I will post pics asap. Let me tell you this thing stops so fast right now its ridiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddar View Post
Wouldn't the side without the muffler sound different then the one with and would exhaust flow more out the driver side due to less restriction?

Very unique cat-back design.
Yes there is definatly a sound difference between the two sides but we knew there was going to be. We should have the release of this catback out for purchase sometime next week. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised about the final version/$price$!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KID* View Post
exhaust sounds pretty rowdy man...were you the only one racing or was there a v8 next to it?

I think the different exhaust makers should get together and see which makes more power on a stock frs/brz on stock tune
Yes there was a loud v8 next to me in the other lane. As far as testing all the different exhausts it would be pretty hard to get everyone on board, but if someone wants to set something up we would be happy to send our exhaust out for such a test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESBjiujitsu View Post
awesome!!!!! love all the information here!!! and thank you for the pics and video!!! great stufff!
No problem! Thank you! We will as much to this thread as we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
Did I miss type of rubber that you are running?
The car currently sits on Dunlop Direzza Star Specs 255/40-17 front and 265/40-17 in the rear.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P&L Motorsports For This Useful Post:
ESBjiujitsu (06-12-2012), Lonewolf (06-12-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
16.5 seconds is in the realm of a 2012 Mazda 3 2.0L 155hp/148tq with 3200 lbs of curb weight.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...fications.html
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
PrimeMotoring

Drives: FRS with 2jz, 2015 STI 9.68@147
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Garage
Cars looking good guys!
PrimeMotoring is offline   Reply With Quote