follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Arizona

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2014, 04:11 AM   #1
g0ast

Drives: GBS Subaru BRZ Limited A/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best UEL header/tuner combo?

After months of waiting and waiting, I finally have enough finances to get UEL headers and a tune and pay someone to tune it. I know there's a lot of you in the know of this stuff but I'm not one of them!

Problem is I don't know the best route for what I want.

-Basically just want it to sound more like a boxer should, not too loud or racer-y, deeper the better, I have an Invidia N1 cat-back exhaust to help there.
-A modest performance increase, I'm willing to sacrifice power gain for sound and reliability, but more power is of course desired.
-No desire to add a turbo or super system in the future.
-Not sure to go catted or catless?
-I don't really trust the Borla brand.
-Need EcuTek tune and the cable, license, etc., whatever, and if there's a way I can save money there that would be great.
-Money is also a primary concern too.
-Finally I need someone who knows how to tune it. I don't need any extreme tuning, just whatever is necessary.

Suggestions for the UEL headers?

Help!

Old 12-02-2014, 04:25 AM   #2
dobbrz

Drives: RB v1 FRS
Tomei UEL.
as for a tune that will depend on where you live and if you choose to get an ecutek tune from a local tuner or another option such as an open flash tablet where you can download tunes onto and plug into your ecu. (Might be summarizing that wrong but that is the general idea of the tablet iirc) Many people have had success with both options.

instagram: @andrewdobbie93
dobbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:13 AM   #3
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yeah based on your list I'd say get an open flash tablet. It will save you money and accomplish what you're looking for.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:24 AM   #4
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Openflash tablet + openflash UEL header.

Just over 1k and covers literally everything you were asking.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:33 AM   #5
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
OFT/OFH definitely fits the bill.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
JesseE

Drives: LS Swapped BRZ
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
I have a borla header, and although the sound is nice and I pretty much got it for free from one of my suppliers, the build quality isn't too great, granted I got one of the first ones, and I've had to get it strengthened and re-welded. I would also suggest to get a header with a cat in it, reason being is the fr-s exhaust is stinky, if you remove all the cats its pretty unbearable to leave the windows open at idle. if you leave the rear cat on I never had a issue with smell, but its something to think about. If you have already gotten rid of the rear cat.
JesseE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseE For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (12-02-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The pre-packaged tunes that come with OFT are decent, but you'll still need to log your IAM (among other things) to verify the tune is safe for your motor.

If you don't know what IAM is, I recommend you spend a lot of time in the software tuning subforum.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
g0ast

Also I should have mentioned I will keep the stock airbox but I will have the SuperTek intake tube between the box and the manifold. I do know a little bit about the OFT/OFH the main thing being it uses the stock intake. Would the tube make much of a difference?

I have thought about the OFT/OFH but I have no tuning knowledge at all, and I'm debating whether to get it done by someone who knows what they're doing or get the OFH/T and have someone kinda guide me.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #9
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ast View Post
Also I should have mentioned I will keep the stock airbox but I will have the SuperTek intake tube between the box and the manifold. I do know a little bit about the OFT/OFH the main thing being it uses the stock intake. Would the tube make much of a difference?

I have thought about the OFT/OFH but I have no tuning knowledge at all, and I'm debating whether to get it done by someone who knows what they're doing or get the OFH/T and have someone kinda guide me.
Nothing really to know just plug in pick the tune and hit flash
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

That's kind of the beauty of the OFT option - someone with extensive tuning knowledge already tuned it for you. Short of dyno-tuning it and maybe getting a fraction more performance out of it, you've got nothing to worry about going with one of the OFT Stage 2 tunes. Same applies to the ECUTek off-the-shelf options out there, albeit at a higher entry cost.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
g0ast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
That's kind of the beauty of the OFT option - someone with extensive tuning knowledge already tuned it for you. Short of dyno-tuning it and maybe getting a fraction more performance out of it, you've got nothing to worry about going with one of the OFT Stage 2 tunes. Same applies to the ECUTek off-the-shelf options out there, albeit at a higher entry cost.
Do you think the SuperTek intake tube would effect the OFT tune negatively? Or not so much cause it's still the stock airbox?
Old 12-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
ineedboost

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you think the SuperTek intake tube would effect the OFT tune negatively? Or not so much cause it's still the stock airbox?
The intake tube won't hurt anything. I'm with these guys; get an OFT. I have one and am very happy with it.
ineedboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #13
g0ast

I thought about it and I got myself the OFT/OFH. Since I'm keeping the stock airbox and only changing the tube there shouldn't be any difference, since OFT is tuned to the stock airbox.

Thanks all.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:02 AM   #14
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:

You want my supertek intake tube?