follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #407
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
Good to know.

There's the warranty issue. There's dealer discretion. And then there's this extraordinary situation of a new, much-hyped car that Toyota may want to make the extra effort for in order the save the reputation of the car and the company. Anything could happen. Or they could play dumb and leave us twisting in the wind. Like I said before, once you give someone your money, you no longer have the control.

N.B.: My recollection is that, when Saturn had problems in their first year, they responded by taking every problem car back, no questions asked, and replaced it with a new car. Expensive tactic, but a good way to maintain public trust in a new venture.
True, there is some discretion. Toyota has a track record of erring on the side of the customer. I can't see them leaving anyone twisting in the wind with any legitimate issue. Case in point-when I broke the ring gear in the rear end of my modded '04 Taco 4x4 climbing boulders, they installed a complete pumpkin @ no charge. Google "toyota tacoma rust recall buy back offer" for an even better example-there are also many others...
phm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phm14 For This Useful Post:
Marrk (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 01:10 PM   #408
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Also for a car this hyped and being first model year, I'd say Toyota doesn't want it to flop.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #409
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phm14 View Post
True, there is some discretion. Toyota has a track record of erring on the side of the customer. I can't see them leaving anyone twisting in the wind with any legitimate issue. Case in point-when I broke the ring gear in the rear end of my modded '04 Taco 4x4 climbing boulders, they installed a complete pumpkin @ no charge. Google "toyota tacoma rust recall buy back offer" for an even better example-there are also many others...
Yeah, that's another reason I want this car. I feel like Toyota will actually stand by their warranty and take care of any issues without much hassle.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #410
FR-YES

Drives: FR-S, Firestorm, AT
So what I'm wondering to myself is this idle issue really about the vvtr control valve? It sucks for white but I don't really think they fixed it seeing as his car is probably dismantled at this point. I sure don't want to go to the dealer and have them touch my control valves after hearing whites story
FR-YES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #411
eriktherod

Garage
From other reports, the crankshaft position sensor may be the culprit. Another couple of members have gotten CEL lights regarding this (@ 2000 miles). Perhaps a batch of less-than-optimal sensors that are starting to fall out of proper threshold? The idle issues would support something like this, looks like it's only a matter of time.

I'm at 1300 miles and haven't noticed anything below 600 yet. I have gotten the little blips to ~900-1000 sometimes, almost feels like it's purging or doing some calibration because it eventually stops.

Honestly, I'm not worrying about it until I notice something in the way it drives or I get some CEL code. I have my OBD2 scanner ready for if it does!
danthedirt (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #412
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
got a little over 1k miles...no cel but seeing the rpms twitchy and hearing the crickets....bringing mine in monday will report what the tell me. i will also inform them of all issues addressed on the forum...
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driftartist For This Useful Post:
Marrk (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #413
FRSCoupe

Drives: Toyota
Does anyone have clif notes of what's happening, there is something with the camshaft sensor or VVTI unit? Either way it has to do with camshsaft and I think engine needs to come out or at least lifted up?
FRSCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #414
motofan

Drives: 10 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout fr-s View Post
By the way, got my FT86club stickers in the mail today, they look great! Only wish I had a car to put them on lol.
Really sorry about what happened to your car. Hope the issue is addressed to the root and Toyota treats you well!! I think it can be better if you keep close contact with central Scion customer services.
motofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #415
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phm14 View Post
Toyota are superior or equal to any other maker I know of-far better than most, especially German makers like BMW and Porsche. I'm not so familiar with Subie, which is one reason I went with the FRS.
I agree, Toyota is #1 and has been for decades. But, you do realize the vehicle in question is a Subaru regardless of which model you bought(BRZ or FR-S)?

They're both Subarus from start to finish.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fistpoint For This Useful Post:
eriktherod (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #416
danthedirt
Hadouken

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSCoupe View Post
Does anyone have clif notes of what's happening, there is something with the camshaft sensor or VVTI unit? Either way it has to do with camshsaft and I think engine needs to come out or at least lifted up?
My car is having the same issues and I took it in to get looked at today.
I started another thread to report the issue, but I've also been updating this my blog on the issue which is little more condensed then going through pages of comments:

http://downrightfrs.blogspot.com/201...ine-light.html
Old 06-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #417
phm14
Loves the Smell of Track

Drives: '13 86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
I agree, Toyota is #1 and has been for decades. But, you do realize the vehicle in question is a Subaru regardless of which model you bought(BRZ or FR-S)?

They're both Subarus from start to finish.
The car was a joint venture, and does exhibit contributions from Toyota. Toyota owns 16.5% of Subaru, who sold Toyota the stock because of financial difficulties (another reason I went with the Toyota branded product). This car would never have been developed without funding and input from Toyota. Personally, I've never considered buying a Subie because I've never found their body styling appealing.
The salient point here is that Toyota will be handling FR-S warranty, and Subaru will handle BRZ warranty. Hopefully Subie will meet Toyota CS standards for our BRZ bros

Last edited by phm14; 06-29-2012 at 10:15 AM.
phm14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #418
LaserMon

Drives: Garage is Empty - Add now
Got my car yesterday. Get this, drove it for JUST 10km for a total of 22km on the odo when the check engine light and slip light turned on and remained on. Brought the car back to the dealership today, and the mechanics spent more than 3 hours checking the codes, switching some sensors around, test driving it a couple of times. Then they tell me they are not sure what the problem is yet, and will need to reschedule some more time to take a look at it. They did an oil change (not sure why). When I got the car back it has 50km odo, they did clear the lights but I'm hearing chirping noise from the engine now.

Going to contact Scion Canada tomorrow to let them know about the issue. I really want them to find out what's the true cause is before taking my engine apart and trying different things with it.
LaserMon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LaserMon For This Useful Post:
Marrk (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #419
eriktherod

Garage
I feel bad for the techs, they've only been given rudimentary training on the car and aren't ready for this serious of an issue so soon.

I would have been soooo disappointed if I got a CEL on the way home from the dealership! Did they give you any documentation on what they did/tried? It would be helpful to know what sensors they switched around and how it seemed to fix (or did it?) your issue.

The chirping noise I believe is normal, or at least common (though this CEL issue is becoming more common too :/). Another member checked via stethoscope and said that the noise is coming from the DI but the insulation is absorbing the lower-pitched noises so only the chirping remains.

I'll have to check if mine does it when I get home, fairly sure it does.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #420
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktherod View Post
I feel bad for the techs, they've only been given rudimentary training on the car and aren't ready for this serious of an issue so soon.

I would have been soooo disappointed if I got a CEL on the way home from the dealership! Did they give you any documentation on what they did/tried? It would be helpful to know what sensors they switched around and how it seemed to fix (or did it?) your issue.

The chirping noise I believe is normal, or at least common (though this CEL issue is becoming more common too :/). Another member checked via stethoscope and said that the noise is coming from the DI but the insulation is absorbing the lower-pitched noises so only the chirping remains.

I'll have to check if mine does it when I get home, fairly sure it does.
The high pitch cricket/chirp noise has been verified for a few days as Not normal.
Bonburner is offline   Reply With Quote