follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #29
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
LOL Yep! In 6 years when all the 86s trim levels are all bloated and filled to the brim with gadgets and doodads they will come out with a stripped down base model and call it the FRS Retro special!
Hey, then my 2013 will be back in style ..........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #30
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Or people keep waiting for the announcement of the AWD turbo and will never get an 86/BRZ!
Subaru won't come out with that set up, as it would conflict with the WRX/ STi market... to some degree ( coupe vs 4-door ..... still enough difference I think).

Toyota: again , probably won't do it since the 86 is their initial idea. That wasn't the plan for the car from the get go, and highly doubtful they will have a change of heart. They know a car (this car) can still be fun, without having to add a turbo (thus increased costs... and costs to be passed onto the consumer)

Subaru has the majority of the experience with turbos the last 10-15 years (more modern turbo systems) , so I'd think Subaru would lead the way... if it is ever going to happen. Still 99.9% doubtful , for all those inquiring. Ultimately, it kind of comes down to what Toyota and Subaru's agreement is, on this car (do this / don't do this) on the matter.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
Subaru won't come out with that set up, as it would conflict with the WRX/ STi market... to some degree ( coupe vs 4-door ..... still enough difference I think).

Toyota: again , probably won't do it since the 86 is their initial idea. That wasn't the plan for the car from the get go, and highly doubtful they will have a change of heart. They know a car (this car) can still be fun, without having to add a turbo (thus increased costs... and costs to be passed onto the consumer)

Subaru has the majority of the experience with turbos the last 10-15 years (more modern turbo systems) , so I'd think Subaru would lead the way... if it is ever going to happen. Still 99.9% doubtful , for all those inquiring. Ultimately, it kind of comes down to what Toyota and Subaru's agreement is, on this car (do this / don't do this) on the matter.
Thus my use of the word never!
Old 01-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #32
Adam_L

correct. I just wanted to elaborate further, with more detail as to why

I hear a lot of people say " they should turbo the FRS" , however all of them seem to not be willing to put in the research time into this car (history, etc).
Tcoat (01-14-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 06:46 PM   #33
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I hear a lot of people say " they should turbo the FRS" , however all of them seem to not be willing to put in the research time into this car (history, etc).

What there should be is an OEM supercharger option from TRD. I know they made a couple, but I'm talking about mass production, like they had with the Scion tC and the Honda CRZ.

I know there are solid aftermarket options available, but I think it's pretty pathetic that the only real performance parts Toyota offers 86 owners is a cat-back exhaust and air intake (I'm exaggerating a little here)
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #34
Adam_L

I'm all for TRD to come out with a way (supercharger) to make 240-250 hp at the crank... safely , done right.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:06 PM   #35
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
What there should be is an OEM supercharger option from TRD. I know they made a couple, but I'm talking about mass production, like they had with the Scion tC and the Honda CRZ.

I know there are solid aftermarket options available, but I think it's pretty pathetic that the only real performance parts Toyota offers 86 owners is a cat-back exhaust and air intake (I'm exaggerating a little here)

A big factor in Toyota not having a OEM FR-S supercharger is because the one they sold for the tC didn't sell well. Profit is everything!
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #36
Adam_L

Exactly, and to maximize profits it should have been available for sale by end of 2012, or 2013
Old 01-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #37
SC10N
#293 / 2500

Drives: FR-S MT 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
OH OK the "believe" part threw me and I thought I had missed something somewhere.

Rear spoiler - PI fog lights - TRD exhaust - Zeta Center Console Armrest - BeSpoke / Nav upgrade - OEM Audio + Reference System 400CF - Beat Sonic shark fin antenna - Lathe Werks burnt gun metal stainless steel sphere shifter - OEM HID LED Mod Kit - Interior Illumination Kit- Red - Trunk lid Liner Kit
SC10N is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SC10N For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 08:02 AM   #38
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,183 Times in 3,472 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Nothing announced. If it isn't soon I think it will be safe to say there won't be.
If not in a rush we should hear if they are going to do another trim level (as they have hinted at but never said outright) by late spring.
In the UK Subaru is only selling one trim level for 2017.. reflects the dire state of BRZ sales...
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #39
Tcoat

Quote:

I have said it so many times I don't even bother with the details anymore. The guys that understand know and the ones that don't just don't care what the history was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I wonder the same sometimes and then remember that they said from the beginning there would be no factory FI. They certainly have stuck to their guns on that.

Quote:
I'm all for TRD to come out with a way (supercharger) to make 240-250 hp at the crank... safely , done right.
Then it would be "no good" because it should be 251. If 251 then it is "too slow" because it should be 300. As the big sedans get higher numbers the bench racers that scream the most will complain that this should have those same numbers. Many of those complainers will have never even driven one.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:27 AM   #40
Borchert97

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Well I finally got what I asked for.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the...o-added-power/

Thoughts, guys? I mean, it looks cool. Not sure if it's worth basically $4k more. 860 in both colors mean's 1720 will be made so there's gonna be significantly more of them than the BRZ Series.Yellow.

The biggest disappointment is no power but it was to be expected considering the Series.Yellow didn't get any extra, however, I can't tell, and it wasn't mentioned, if this gets wider wheels, better dampers, and brembo brakes like the Series.Yellow does.
Borchert97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 05:45 AM   #41
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borchert97 View Post
Well I finally got what I asked for.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the...o-added-power/

Thoughts, guys? I mean, it looks cool. Not sure if it's worth basically $4k more. 860 in both colors mean's 1720 will be made so there's gonna be significantly more of them than the BRZ Series.Yellow.

The biggest disappointment is no power but it was to be expected considering the Series.Yellow didn't get any extra, however, I can't tell, and it wasn't mentioned, if this gets wider wheels, better dampers, and brembo brakes like the Series.Yellow does.
If I was in your position I personally would hold off and see if hey are going to have a second trim level in the normal 86. We are only a few months away from the 18s being released and unless you really want the interior colour, stripes or the orange paint you may be able to get all the other stuff for way less money. Bit of a gamble since if these fly off the lots you could miss out but like you said there will be a pile of them around.
why? (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 07:13 AM   #42
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
If I was in your position I personally would hold off and see if hey are going to have a second trim level in the normal 86. We are only a few months away from the 18s being released and unless you really want the interior colour, stripes or the orange paint you may be able to get all the other stuff for way less money. Bit of a gamble since if these fly off the lots you could miss out but like you said there will be a pile of them around.
While they do fly of the lot, they will also fly back onto them in a year. Or like me you'll be able to get one for $7k off with 5,000 miles from someone who doesn't want it any more.

It really is amazing how many of these sporty cars end up right back on dealers lots in a year or so.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote