follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #15
Sideways?

Drives: Toyota GT86 - Blue - Leather - Nav
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I know your drawing exaggerates the effect, but those gaskets aren't exactly thick and if the flanges are that far out that they don't seal I'd get them machined flat... All the tuning in the world won't make any difference if there is an air gap...
Think of it this way, would you deliberately run with an air leak in the intake? Then you definitely shouldn't run with an air leak in the exhaust...!!!
Additionally, you spent some serious cash on the kit, if that flange doesn't fit properly it will never be as good as it could be, and who doesn't want to get value for money from their tuning?!

Current Mileage: 5900 - And I still love it to bits!!
Sideways? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:36 PM   #16
Tmann405

Drives: 15 BRZ
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not trying to thread Jack, but I also just got the SBD kit installed and I am smelling fumes after 20 mins or so. I also have the FBM oil catch can which plugs into the PCV system could that be the source of the smell? @King Tut I know you mentioned it but how strong would the smell be? Because what I smell is kind of strong. I currently have the a/c set to recirculate.
Tmann405 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tmann405 For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (03-11-2015)
Old 03-11-2015, 10:58 PM   #17
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Mmmmmmm.. @spdbydesign

Last edited by Boofneenee; 03-12-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Boofneenee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boofneenee For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 01:28 AM   #18
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmann405 View Post
Not trying to thread Jack, but I also just got the SBD kit installed and I am smelling fumes after 20 mins or so. I also have the FBM oil catch can which plugs into the PCV system could that be the source of the smell? @King Tut I know you mentioned it but how strong would the smell be? Because what I smell is kind of strong. I currently have the a/c set to recirculate.
Honestly, if you're smelling exhaust it's more than likely the exhaust flanges.

Put your car up on ramps, pull the skid plate off, and check for leaks while it's running. I'll be you find a tiny leak at one of the flanges.

Producing any exhaust piece that fits 100% perfectly is tricky to begin with, never mind when it's being done by a bunch of $1/hour sweatshop welders.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:45 AM   #19
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways? View Post
I know your drawing exaggerates the effect, but those gaskets aren't exactly thick and if the flanges are that far out that they don't seal I'd get them machined flat... All the tuning in the world won't make any difference if there is an air gap...
Think of it this way, would you deliberately run with an air leak in the intake? Then you definitely shouldn't run with an air leak in the exhaust...!!!
Additionally, you spent some serious cash on the kit, if that flange doesn't fit properly it will never be as good as it could be, and who doesn't want to get value for money from their tuning?!
How much would it cost to get them machined flat? I know it depends on the shop but is a relatively cheap fix (say under $150)?

Quote:
You live in OKC so i'm sure you can work something out with SBD (based in Oklahoma) to help you with the problem. Perhaps u could bring ur car by his shop and Chris can help u troubleshoot the problem for a modest fee? If I lived in OKC, that's probably what I would do.
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #20
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast

Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
If it is exhaust leaks you can find out by observing your fuel trims.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #21
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
The FBM catch can is a vent to atmosphere, and unfortunately thefresh air draw is very close to where the can is, so if you see a noticeable difference in smell between recirculate and non then it is probably the catch can if it smells oiley. I had the D3PE catch can which is similar, and I could actually see the hot oiley air coming out from under the hood. I just accepted it and ran the A/C on recirculate when I was at a stop or in stop and go traffic. An exhaust leak in the area of the overpipe could also allow exhaust gasses to take a similar path to where the fresh air is grabbed for the A/C system.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #22
Tmann405

Thanks for the responses, but yeah I think its an exhaust leak because I can hear like a tick under acceleration. It the sound seems to be coming from the over pipe area, but of course it was hard to pin point since I was driving.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #23
Akari

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
A trick we use around my shop to diagnose exhaust leaks is plug one exhaust pipe with a rag and shove an air compressor hose in the other(Also wrapped in a rag to help seal). At that point you can safely be under the car and listen/feel for air coming out around your various connections.
Akari is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akari For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (03-19-2015), Sideways? (03-13-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #24
kensta

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the responses, but yeah I think its an exhaust leak because I can hear like a tick under acceleration. It the sound seems to be coming from the over pipe area, but of course it was hard to pin point since I was driving.
Hey, I also have the SBD kit on my BRZ and have the ticking noise under acceleration along with exhaust fume smell when I warm up my car. I do think it's an exhaust leak possibly underneath the engine at the exhaust manifold flange or at the flex joints.

I am so irritated by the ticking noise and have been running it for almost 2 months now. It gets louder and louder during acceleration like your rubbing two pennies together. On cold start up, I will hear it then it will go away as it warms up, will not hear it on normal idle. I tried replacing the gaskets at the turbo inlet, turbo outlet, and exhaust manifold still hear the sound. Once you kick into full boost you won't hear it because of the loud spool up, but this sound still bothers me during casual everyday driving.

Last edited by kensta; 03-12-2015 at 08:23 PM.
kensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #25
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Man sorta glad I havent ordered yet...
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #26
Tmann405

@raven1231 I honestly dont think this has to do with the quality of the SBD kit at least in my case, because I have a 3 inch exhaust system, and my installer had to custom fabricate a pipe to allow the 2.5inch test pipe to mate up to my 3 inch overpipe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tmann405 For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (03-12-2015)
Old 03-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #27
Tmann405

@kensta Yeah, I know what you mean I feel like it makes the car sound tacky, but like I said I think for me its the over pipe area, buuuuut now you have me reconsidering!! I shot an email to my installer I'll wait to see what he says. My plan regardless is to get underneath the car this weekend and see if I can pin point it.

Does anybody think its a good or bad idea to put some permatex exhaust paste around the over pipe exhaust flanges?
Old 03-12-2015, 09:44 PM   #28
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you still have the secondary cat? Mine ticked while I had mine.