follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-15-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
Deorio

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tighten my LCAs in the Air

I recently installed a set of TRD lowering springs and everything went quite smoothly. Its been a few days now and I just found out that you're supposed to torque the LCAs while the car is lowered onto the ground or preloaded with jacks.

I loosened the LCA to chassis bolt in order to slip out the rear struts. When I put in the new springs and replaced the struts, I just torqued the bolt while the car was in the air and hubs a little bit sunken. Is this going to kill my bushings? Should I jack her up and do it properly or does it even matter? Thanks
Deorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #2
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deorio View Post
Should I jack her up and do it properly or does it even matter? Thanks
I've never messed with the suspension yet, but I do generally believe if you find yourself asking "Should I redo this properly", the answer is always "yes". If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. Good luck.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:02 PM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Deorio: also if you did install of those springs/struts/LCAs yourself, very probably you didn't also redid properly alignment by yourself?
I suggest to not just retighten when on ground, but visit some suspension shop and pay to check/do alignment instead of just lowering and re-tightening LCAs bolts.
One can DIY alignment with eg. strings method .. but it takes a lot of time and is major PITA. Better to pay some money and have pros relatively quickly dial right camber/toe on laser alignment rig while having some coffee.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #4
Deorio

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Deorio: also if you did install of those springs/struts/LCAs yourself, very probably you didn't also redid properly alignment by yourself?
I suggest to not just retighten when on ground, but visit some suspension shop and pay to check/do alignment instead of just lowering and re-tightening LCAs bolts.
One can DIY alignment with eg. strings method .. but it takes a lot of time and is major PITA. Better to pay some money and have pros relatively quickly dial right camber/toe on laser alignment rig while having some coffee.
That was the plan! But I won't be able to get into an alignment shop until the springs fully settle. Would my bushings be okay until then?
Deorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:28 PM   #5
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deorio View Post
That was the plan! But I won't be able to get into an alignment shop until the springs fully settle. Would my bushings be okay until then?
Yes, they can tear. It's a valid concern. Rhino ramps are a godsend.