follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
Laddk

Drives: 2012 golf tdi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question WELLL helllo!

well helllo there and thanks for taking the time to click this and read my poor grammar and spelling(i do have a legit excuse tho lol). But i was making this post tonight because i wanted to see some opinions on what people thought of there [ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NIOX3FE"]FRS/GT86/BRZ[/ame]. here in a couple months ill be car shopping once again = i currently own a vw tdi that is part of the new scandal thats out. so come oct/nov ill have a check for around 21k and pay off and returning my tdi golf =( but that means new car right! well ive been car shopping and trying to figure out what i want. well ive narrowed it down to a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&index=autom otive&keywords=s2000&linkCode=ur2"]s2000[/ame] or a frs/brz. kinda depends on bank and all that with what i do. hints why the brz/frs is up first on the list. well anyway im writing thiis post because i wanna know

1. Do you still love your car after owning it for some time now.
2. Would you buy another?
3. How would you rank it on reliablilty, performance, joy, comfort. and how it feels.
4. what are the pros and cons to you.
5. When if comes to modding, how much of a pain in the ass is it to work on with adding mods
6(applys to only thos who have performance mods) after you threw your performance mods how is the reliablity and did it make the car better, no change, or worse??
7. For the price of 18-22k do you feel the frs/brz is worth the buy.

so again thanks ahead of times. i know that not everyone has the same opinion so if it makes you butthurt, im not sorry.
Laddk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:02 PM   #2
Laddk

p.s i dunno why it changed s2000 and FRS/GT86/BRZ to amazon links.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yes, I've owned mine since August 2014 and grow to love it more and more.

No. I don't have a reason to buy another since I plan to keep this one forever.

3. How would you rank it on reliablilty, performance, joy, comfort. and how it feels.
Reliability so far with 22,000KM is 10/10 with 0 issues.
Performance is hard to rate. I loved the car stock, I love it with some of the aftermarket parts I put on. So this leads to the next part...it's been a joy so far
Comfort is good for short drives. Anything over 200Km isn't ideal.
Also compared to my Subaru on coils, this is super comfortable.
The feel of the car is superb is your looking for a pure sports and love 90's Japanese sports cars especially.

Biggest pros
Driving position
Looks
Driving feel
Suspension (cornering etc...)

Cons would be,
Stock ECU is not smooth
Insulation is bad
Paint chips too easily (very thin paint)
Stock exhaust is too quiet

5. When if comes to modding, how much of a pain in the ass is it to work on with adding mods

Honestly everything I have done has been super easy. This car is very back to the basics so everything is easy to do. I think the most difficult thing would be changing spark plugs but that's more maintenance.

6(applys to only thos who have performance mods) after you threw your performance mods how is the reliablity and did it make the car better, no change, or worse??

For me, the mods I choose have all seem to be reliable and made the car even better.

Stage 1 OFT Tune
Drop in filter
Inlet tube
Catback exhaust

Yes. It's one of the best pure driving sports cars that you can buy today.

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
Psilox (08-15-2016), SC10N (08-29-2016), Teseo (08-15-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 11:40 PM   #4
Laddk

Thanks for the input! sadly i am at heart a 90's japanese car lover. everything from the r32 gtr to the early 90s NSX. even down to the EG chassis of civics. have owned a couple hondas haha. one of my biggest things is, i dont wanna buy one and be upset with it a month later. or have to spend an arm and a leg to fix it every month. i had a bugeye wrx for about a year and only got to drive it maybe a total of 2 months. 3 engines later and a trans later i finnaly sold it, but when when it ran man was it fun lol. 5 speed type ra trans(4.9 finnal drive vers.) and a hybrid 2.0 engine with a tt legacy block and wrx heads with cosworth gaskets to beable to clear the cdp of the pistons with the tt ej20 engines. 297 whp and 304 wtq.

Now tho i wanna get back to my roots i guess you could say. i want something that is a fun car that reliable, can mod, and truely enjoy the driving aspect of things. i drive a semi 6/7 days a week so something fun is almost needed ha
Old 08-15-2016, 12:01 AM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,825 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddk View Post
.................Now tho i wanna get back to my roots i guess you could say. i want something that is a fun car that reliable, can mod, and truely enjoy the driving aspect of things. i drive a semi 6/7 days a week so something fun is almost needed ha
Well, Laddk, you're on the right track........

I have an FR-S, manual transmission, 3 years of ownership, 17,000 miles, DD, no problems what so ever.....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #6
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
It's a great little car but it lacks power. It clutch timmid and the release point is way up top so it's a little frustrating to drive in heavy traffic. Mines a 13 with 53 k in it so I guess it's reliable. I've only had it nine months with no problems. Clean Carfax so I guess previous owner had no problems. I have no mods because why spend a bunch of money and still not be as quick as most other performance cars? It's fun for mountain roads and back roads but it's awful at highway speeds. The novelty of its handling but lack of power grows tiring. If you come out of fast, this isn't your car. You won't be satisfied with the power. I miss the power daily. People who have driven Hondas and miatas have a different opinions. I miss hitting the throttle and taking off like a rocket I miss no torque dip and I miss the raw power. I still love the FRS but I miss fast, this car isn't fast, but it's quick. This car is for race tracks not for daily highway speed driving. I wouldn't pay the price of a new one. I'd get the s2k if I were you. I will likely be trading in less than a year because the majority driving I do is flat highway speeds
Old 08-15-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Yes, I never get tired of it,
If the 2017 MX5 RF turns out to be a death trap and Toyota offers dual climate AC like my 10 Series then I may get one for the wife.
Using my Civic Si and Scion tC as benchmarks the FR-S is as good as them. In fact the FR-S never had notchy synchros, the paint is thin but better than Honda. The tC exhibited typical Toyota quality and if it weren't for the minor chirp the FR-S would be indistinguishable in terms of build. Note I all three cars are comparable classes and prices, to be fair don't compare them to more expensive cars. Never had a reliability issue, it's comfortable (though it's not a spacious car) for a sporty coupe, getting sucked into your seat when you mash the pedal would be nice but that's not what this car is about.
Pro- reliable, good mileage, safe, looks great, easy clutch, twisties are fun, solid, and superb handling
Con- some have experienced rattles (typical Subaru build), crickets, no vtech sound/feel but you get the gurgle from the sound tube if you pay attention to it, and morons wanting to race you especially on straight roads.
I like to keep the car stock maybe except for exhaust (TRD), lights (harmless as long as you avoid junk LEDs), wheels (minor reversible things) because pretty much everything else negatively impacts longevity & reliability (don't forget voiding the warranty). Plus if I wanted something faster and good looking I would've bought it from the get go (like a 370Z).
Of course,

Last edited by dnieves; 08-16-2016 at 05:34 AM.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #8
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
If you considere to mod it, this platform have many options like keep it naturally aspirated or forced induction.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:19 PM   #9
InsteadIHaveWifeandKids

Drives: 2000 Acura TL
I have been lurking on this forum for years. I have been debating with myself concerning the S2000 versus the TWINS for a long time, and I have reluctantly decided that the TWINS are the better choice.

The prices of the S2000 are nuts for a low mileage, non-modified, clean, OLD car.
You won't have a warranty.
Less convenient.
Oversteer is less predictable, supposedly, than the TWINS.
Unless you are a really great driver, I think the oversteer is dangerous.
If you aren't going to push the S2000, then you might as well drive just as slow in a TWIN --new, with warranty, with now technology, with a back seat.

Of course if I were ever to win the lottery, then I would buy a S2000 to park next to my TWIN. (Hoping that I can hold out for the performance package ones, but may not make it)
InsteadIHaveWifeandKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:10 PM   #10
everythingsablur

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S RS 2.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsteadIHaveWifeandKids View Post
Of course if I were ever to win the lottery, then I would buy a S2000 to park next to my TWIN. (Hoping that I can hold out for the performance package ones, but may not make it)
You could also aim a little higher with your lottery winnings.

Though I suppose it depends on if we're talking Powerball, or just like a state/provincial lottery.
2016 Scion FR-S Release Series 2.0 #170/1000
everythingsablur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #11
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes. After 4 years still love driving it, especially on the track.

Quote:
I never buy the same car twice, so no.

Quote:
On a 1-10 scale...
Reliability - 7
Performance - 6
Joy - 8
Comfort - 5
Feel - 9

(To give you a comparison, here's how I'd rank other cars I've owned)

2009 Boxster S
Reliability - 4
Performance - 8
Joy - 9
Comfort - 7
Feel - 10

2011 GTI
Reliability - 6
Performance - 6
Joy - 6
Comfort - 8
Feel - 7

2009 STI
Reliability - 7
Performance - 7
Joy - 7
Comfort - 6
Feel - 7

Quote:
Pros - weight, handling, feedback/feel, responsiveness, seating position, RWD

Cons - low/midrange torque

Quote:
Easy car to work on.

Quote:
Better since I've been replacing/upgrading parts that fail from track use. For example, I used to go through brake pads often and melt dust boots, but a BBK has solved that. Used to have high oil temps, but an oil cooler has solved that, etc.

Quote:
Yes. There's no other lightweight RWD coupe in the price range. Practically speaking it's a sharper-handling Miata coupe.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #12
kevman_101

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Bought in April 2013 and still love it every time I step in it.

For sure

-Reliablility 10/10 - Never had an issue. I did get the TSB for the freezing windows. Haven`t payed for an oil change yet with the free Scion oil changes
-Performance: As with any car, you want more all the time. I would like bit more go, but it`s got enough to spin the tires, get it sideways, and still be able to beat the snot in a few gears and not go to jail.
-Joy: Nothing more satisfying then bring this car to the track or Autocross. But just daily taking quick corners it`s just an enjoyable car.
-Comfort: Suprisingly comfortable. Took a vacation with my girl on a 2000 km round trip and it was very nice. Wasn`t sore or anything. Seats are great and even though its very sporty in it`s manner, the suspension does a good job.

-Pros: Great gas mileage, Smiles per gallons is very high, no real need to get suspension upgrades, TIRE MILEAGE WARRENTY if you have the Michelin Primacy(Use them on track and autocross and get a great rebate on THE ABSOLUTE BEST MOD for this car. Tires), Seat position is perfect and supportive.
-Cons: Backseats are mostly a show, rear facing car seat negates the front seat.

-Don`t know. Haven`t done much, but it doesn`t look like a very hard car to work on.

-Dunno

-Yes. 100 times yes. If it fits your desire. I`m happy to break my back to get my little girl in the car seat every morning to bring her to daycare.
kevman_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #13
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:

Yes, except when its acting dumb

I plan to buy a second one to go FI and DD eventually and retire my current on to weekend/race duty

Things go wrong when you start to mod, but nothing major is wrong with the car. Just check the timing cover before your warranty expire (i found out 200 miles too late

not too many cons imo. Its a fun, kinda light rwd car with limited power to keep things safe. i did wish it sounded better with headers

Nothing crazy difficult I feel. Just research and decide if you can realisticly do it yourself or not

Im having a few issues with minor blowby and slightly skewed fuel trims after adding a header and off the shelf tune but I also have over 100k miles

Yes, that is a good price for a slightly used one maybe just outside warranty (30-40k miles)
answers in red

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:03 PM   #14
D5teph
Automotive Enthusiast

Drives: Zenki 86
I just got mine this year but I've always had my eye on it since the FR-S came out. So here's my .02 cents.

- After 4 months of ownership, I'm still as giddy and excited to take it for a drive like it was the first day bringing it home haha. The love I have for this car just grows each and every day.

- To be honest...I actually would. If I had more money to blow, I would buy another just to drop a 2JZ in it.

- Well.. coming from a 96' Integra LS and a 09' Civic LX, the reliability so far is about the same. Only gripe I have is the crickets but it's whatever.
But, I do enjoy the handling and power the 86 has. It's pretty good as a daily and even getting onto the freeway easily. Especially taking it spirited driving.. That is where you will see and experience the joy to owning an 86. It's just "An Amazing Machine" hahaha. But, mine is pretty much stock so far other than a K&N Drop-in Filter. As far as comfort, it's a sports car and to me it's comfortable. Capable of spirited drives and daily driving as it comes stock. The Cabin or insulation might be loud for some but, it doesn't really bother me. One more thing, I did have to get a lower back cushion because I had lower back pain whenever I drove the 86. Ever since I got that, the positioning and comfort of the seat is much better.

Reliability: 9
Performance: 9
Joy: 10
Comfort: 9

Pros:
- Appearance
- Handling
- Interior quality (reminds me of the 90's sports cars)
- Driving experience (Feel connected to the car)
- Gas Mileage, MPG is good. I'm hitting 27.4 MPG on average with casual messing around here and there.
- Endless modification options

Cons:
- Crickets
- Lower Back pain from stock seats (lower back cushion helped)

- This might be different for some but I've had issues with DRL's I changed. I got some LED for DRL's and it fried my Right headlight harness and housing. So... I guess becareful with anything electrical on this car? I've never really had any lighting issues with Honda's so, it might just've been a dud LED bulb I got from FT86speedfactory.

6. (applys to only thos who have performance mods) after you threw your performance mods how is the reliablity and did it make the car better, no change, or worse??

- Only Performance mod I have so far is the K&N Drop in filter, and based on my butt dyno I've noticed a better throttle response from the accelerator. Also, the intake sounds a lot better with it since it got louder.

- The 18-22K is worth it imo. I have nothing but good things to say about the 86 and I'll tell you now. Once you drive it, I think you'll fall inlove with it lol. Even though some may say it lacks more power. To me it's perfect and I have no issues with the power of this car. I guess since I came from Honda's that had 140hp....lol. Well, that's my .02 cents and goodluck to you and hopefully we'll see you on here soon!