follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #15
ithinkimcrashing_

Drives: 91' 240sx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDad2 View Post
It's good that you are getting a start with working on cars and also some father/son time. These are days to remember.

My son, who is also 14, and I have worked on my FR-S over the years. In fact, a few weekends back he went with me for the first time on the Annual FT-86 Event in the Texas Hill Country. He said it was the most fun he's had all summer! We're currently working on a video of the even to post on YouTube.

Hopefully y'all get the car.
Ya man I think the father son time is the best thing I can get out of this. And for sure events like those are the best, and most fun to go to, hoping to go to 86 fest next year, sadly missed it this year, and hmu when you two post it!
ithinkimcrashing_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #16
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR600RR View Post
agreed - but only at OPs age. At the age of say 20+ it's shameful IMO. (on the subject of a brand new car) (used beater car or schooling is a different story)

Props/respect to OP for taking the initiative and trying to do it on his own.

OP get an insurance quote first. At your age you will likely be paying a lot per month. You need to make sure you can afford insurance too - not just the car.
Thanks man, I've always been the independent type of person, and Oh ya for sure, we've looked at it, but I forgot to mention, the car and insurance is going to be in my dad's name until my senior year, since I'm not of legal age for any of this. He's technically going to pay for it, but I'm giving him all the money for mods, the car, etc.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #17
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrm View Post
If you can, get a dashcam. You might get hater marks and shit.
Probably should now thinking
Old 08-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #18
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Hey! Don't let your dreams just be dreams!

Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
meWant (08-18-2016), Psilox (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #19
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
Hey! Don't let your dreams just be dreams!

thanks man, for sure, won't be dreams for long...
Old 08-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #20
DrifterD

Drives: 15' Halo
Garage
Do it when you have the chance man! I wish my parents had that support of me back in high school but wouldn't let me achieve my dreams then. 25 now and hoping I can get into one in a few months. Good Luck!
DrifterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:17 PM   #21
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterD View Post
Do it when you have the chance man! I wish my parents had that support of me back in high school but wouldn't let me achieve my dreams then. 25 now and hoping I can get into one in a few months. Good Luck!
You have no idea man, I was in total shock when they said it was a pretty good idea. Best of luck to you too, hopefully you find "the one" XD
The Following User Says Thank You to ithinkimcrashing_ For This Useful Post:
DrifterD (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #22
D5teph
Automotive Enthusiast

Drives: Zenki 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithinkimcrashing_ View Post
Hey, my name is Antonio and I'm a sophomore in high school. I've been on these forums for a long time now and have been a huge fan of the 86 platform. I've been lurking around learning as much as I could about the car, and I continue to do it to this day because I know there's so much to learn. A while ago I was in the car and then I had my slightly (very) insane idea. I've recently found a job and have saved up enough to start paying for my own car(even though I can't even drive yet). Believe it or not, my dad has been in the need of a new car for a few years now. My dad has always been the self made mechanic, and I've become that too. I would rather help him do repairs on is car, than go out with my friends. My dad continues to drive his 89' corolla and won't let it go(a few moths ago we spent 3 days trying to get the crank pulley off...), long story short, my family came to the agreement that this was something I could do, and my dad would be the driver. I was in shock. I don't expect to get much attention (nor am I looking for that), and I dont expect many to believe this either, but I can assure you, this is not a MOMS MONEY moment. To those of you still reading, thanks, im expecting to have the car in the next 1 or 2 months, and I can hopefully begin building my dream...
Nothing but respect for a younger dude like you with the initiative to be independent. Just do it and chase your dreams. Even though you probably won't be able to drive it yet, I'm sure you'll be happy just being able to look at it and call it yours. Goodluck and post up pics when you get her.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:54 PM   #23
meWant

Drives: '16 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats on the initiative. I've had the car (well 2 of them, after graduating hs, on the second now) for about 2 years now.

It's a fun car, and definitely gave my father and my brother and myself something else to bond over rather than just sitting around too. While not really happy with me modifying things on the car he does help out when my brother and I are changing things, most recently was during the catback we installed.

So get the car and fulfill your dreams and enjoy those moments with your family.
meWant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #24
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Dream big and best of luck OP..get your license first though lol so you can actually drive it
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:35 PM   #25
Yal
#subaruambassador

Drives: Wheezy
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This is an awesome story. You ought to see about selling your neighbors on an oil change/inspection plan since you're inclined that way. Everyone needs oil changes and a lot of people in the bay area are just "too busy" to get it done. Make more money for keeping the car alive. I knew a guy that put himself through college doing lawn aeration. Talk about a niche market.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:59 PM   #26
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5teph View Post
Nothing but respect for a younger dude like you with the initiative to be independent. Just do it and chase your dreams. Even though you probably won't be able to drive it yet, I'm sure you'll be happy just being able to look at it and call it yours. Goodluck and post up pics when you get her.
Dude thanks so much, I was in class so I couldn't reply, but that honestly made my day. And ya, it'll be enough fulfillment for me knowing that I did this. And of course I'll be posting lots of pics, I'm a photographer so hoping to get some nice shots and I'll be putting them up in no time.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #27
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by meWant View Post
Congrats on the initiative. I've had the car (well 2 of them, after graduating hs, on the second now) for about 2 years now.

It's a fun car, and definitely gave my father and my brother and myself something else to bond over rather than just sitting around too. While not really happy with me modifying things on the car he does help out when my brother and I are changing things, most recently was during the catback we installed.

So get the car and fulfill your dreams and enjoy those moments with your family.
Ya man of course, the garage is one of the best places to me, the car would mean so much to me, but it more the moments that happen, thats worth more than the car to me.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:16 PM   #28
ithinkimcrashing_

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyC Zn6 View Post
Dream big and best of luck OP..get your license first though lol so you can actually drive it
Thank you, I always go by "what's a life without big dreams" (just a little something I thought of a while ago to motivate me). And Not to worried about the license right now, taking drivers ed this year so I'm working on it, but a lot more of my ideas can come to light if I start this early