follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #127
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,873 Times in 16,444 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLS2K View Post
Something tells me that this won't go over well.
May the better man win
OK, plan B.

Contact the city/county and find out what the ordnance is for parking cars on the road/street that haven't been moved for X days.

Contact the HOA, if it's active, and find out what the rules are (if any). If it isn't active, check with the county to see if any CC&Rs (Covenants Conditions & Restrictions) are on file.

If you find anything that shows they are breaking the rules/law, print out a copy and slap it on the windshields of the junk cars.

If they aren't gone in a week, call the city police or the county sheriff and tell them that there is an illegal chop shop at that address.

In addition, call the authorities and report that you suspect that location is a grow operation and a meth lab.

Sit and watch "Bubba" squirm ........ waiting for a visit from DEA and ICE .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #128
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
OK, plan B.

Contact the city/county and find out what the ordnance is for parking cars on the road/street that haven't been moved for X days.

Contact the HOA, if it's active, and find out what the rules are (if any). If it isn't active, check with the county to see if any CC&Rs (Covenants Conditions & Restrictions) are on file.

If you find anything that shows they are breaking the rules/law, print out a copy and slap it on the windshields of the junk cars.

If they aren't gone in a week, call the city police or the county sheriff and tell them that there is an illegal chop shop at that address.

In addition, call the authorities and report that you suspect that location is a grow operation and a meth lab.

Sit and watch "Bubba" squirm ........ waiting for a visit from DEA and ICE .....

humfrz
Your list is spot on! I have already had some success with reporting and eliminating 2 cars from the equation (the problem cars). I really like your last two options, and hadn't really thought about those. If the problem persists, I'm definitely going with the illegal chop shop and then meth lab options. Good call

LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LOLS2K For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-15-2018), Tcoat (03-15-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #129
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I’d consider an SUV, too. I personally find a truck inconvenient for my needs but an SUV like a 4Runner is perfect.
A truck is more versitile then a SUV ( generally speaking, 90 some odd % of the time). SUV got bad press back 10 yrs or so ago, not so much bad press in the last 8 years or so. They are basically lifted hatchbacks / wagons, that get tagged as a "SUV" , but more air resistance , less MPG.

How about a Honda Ridgeline ( 2000's version) ? Is that a truck or a SUV ? I wouldn't consider it a truck (not much of a bed) , it's more so a Subaru Brat on steroids.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #130
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,276 Times in 8,630 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
A truck is more versitile then a SUV ( generally speaking, 90 some odd % of the time). SUV got bad press back 10 yrs or so ago, not so much bad press in the last 8 years or so. They are basically lifted hatchbacks / wagons, that get tagged as a "SUV" , but more air resistance , less MPG.

How about a Honda Ridgeline ( 2000's version) ? Is that a truck or a SUV ? I wouldn't consider it a truck (not much of a bed) , it's more so a Subaru Brat on steroids.
SUVs are the modern version of station wagon. My generation didn't like the stigma of a station wagon, but you cannot deny the utility, so we changed the name, raised them and made them 4x4.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 06:12 PM   #131
Adam_L

not all SUV's are 4x4 , but I get your point. Regardless, MPG went down on average.... a bad thing , you cannot get those dollars back spent at the pump.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #132
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
3 cars

Quote:

If you carry more than one person, I find an SUV far more useful. Every time I think about buying a truck, I realize that I’d have to buy a topper or bed cover to keep luggage when my family camps or travels. My bikes fit in a hitch mount or on the factory roof rails and don’t require my cargo area to be unsecured. If I need to get something truly big, I rent a trailer from Home Depot or Uhaul. When I built a 200’ long fence, Lowe’s delivered all the materials for $60.

The extra internal height in an SUV/CUV is super useful. I had my 4Runner literally packed to the ceiling when we bought furniture one day with the middle row flat except for my daughter’s seat. And it rained on the 3 hr drive home!

I’d argue that a truck is only more practical in the 10% of the time you have to fill the bed or put something dirty in the bed. 🤷🏼*♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #133
Adam_L

If, right. Most vehicles are 1-2 occupants per vehicle .... most of the time.

You can put a hitch mount on a truck, use that to tow or use it for a 2-4 bike transporter. In terms of larger , bulkier .... and for taking trash to the dump , truck is best.

In general, all maunfactures considered, I'm fairly certain trucks tend to get better / higher resale value then SUV's .... most of the time.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #134
Adam_L

the 2022 ... or is it 2023 EPA mandate, to have all cars/trucks/ SUV's ... like 10%(might be off by this number as well) more fuel efficient by this date. Getting SUV's ... and trucks 10% better is going to be tough, due to most being V6... V8 , not so aero , and seems like many vehicles the last 10 years or so have added hundreds of pounds to the frame (need to go on a diet).

Not so sure where all the hybrid trucks are ..... will probably be released right around 2022 by the major manufactures ... Toyota, Ford ... GMC
Old 03-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #135
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
3 cars

Quote:
If, right. Most vehicles are 1-2 occupants per vehicle .... most of the time.

You can put a hitch mount on a truck, use that to tow or use it for a 2-4 bike transporter. In terms of larger , bulkier .... and for taking trash to the dump , truck is best.

In general, all maunfactures considered, I'm fairly certain trucks tend to get better / higher resale value then SUV's .... most of the time.

I’ve literally never been to a dump. My garbage service takes oversized items from the curb with a simple phone call. My SUV stays parked unless I’m hauling my family around. I daily my FR-S and use the SUV for weekend family trips.

I’d love to see the LC500h drivetrain in a 4Runner. That seems like a killer drivetrain from an efficiency and performance perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #136
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
I think having a spare car per person is almost a requirement......
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:18 AM   #137
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,873 Times in 16,444 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyice View Post
Adam L, thanks for the recommendation, i'm definitely going to consider a truck in the future. My GF says I should get a truck too because it's practical, she gives me shit a lot for having 3 sports cars, lol.

I think I'm going to sell the Mustang first. I drove the Cobalt today, and every time I drive it, I change my mind on selling it. Their is just something special about 300tq at 2000rpm to the front wheels Plus, resale value right now is pretty shit because most people still think a Cobalt SS is just a base Cobalt with a Turbo added to the engine....and that's far from the truth. It's a great hidden gem car for people that know what it is.
Did I read that right ....??

300 ft lbs of torque at 2000 rpms .... ??

What kind of Cobalt SS can do that .....??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 03:10 AM   #138
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Did I read that right ....??

300 ft lbs of torque at 2000 rpms .... ??

What kind of Cobalt SS can do that .....??

humfrz
Turbo Cobalt SS are actually very fast. I've been in one and it was a blast, lots of boost. I'm sure it could be tuned to 300 tq (doubt it has that much from the factory). Also, had the Nurburgring production FF record for quite a while.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hades For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #139
mattyice

Drives: FRS RS1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I got the GM Stage 1 Tune, which was a tune from GM that bumped up the HP and TQ and kept the factory warranty
mattyice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mattyice For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-18-2018)