follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR600RR View Post
Did you read all of OP's post? he basically touched on everything you did.
With modern manufacturing, and practices such as six sigma, you can expect very little variation between engines and very few failures due to manufacturing defects. In a plant run according to the best practices (many of which Toyota pioneered) any more than a small handful of engine failures would therefore implicate design, not manufacturing errors.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Owning this car for almost a year now and belonging to this fantastic forum the posts that catch my attention the most are the major engine failures.
that's because the first technical topic forum is issues, warranty, and recalls and has more visibility than the other threads. I don't like to associate with the issues topic threads often because it starts to make me believe that the car is problematic, when it's really fine but we are all focusing on isolated cases.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:01 AM   #17
Mo707

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'd say this is worth talking about. We have a frs at my work thats about to get its 4th rebuild. (under warranty) same problem the rockers are blowing through the valve cover. I have pictures and our tech guys are currently investigating it. Crazy to thing about the same car going through 4 rebuilds due to the SAME issue.... and the previous owner had returned the car and got a new one. When that car came back for a 5k service it was missing 3.6 quarts of oil....
Mo707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:55 AM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo707 View Post
I'd say this is worth talking about. We have a frs at my work thats about to get its 4th rebuild. (under warranty) same problem the rockers are blowing through the valve cover. I have pictures and our tech guys are currently investigating it. Crazy to thing about the same car going through 4 rebuilds due to the SAME issue.... and the previous owner had returned the car and got a new one. When that car came back for a 5k service it was missing 3.6 quarts of oil....
Yet the majority have never had an issue. There is something very strange and most certainly not normal going on there.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:38 AM   #19
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yet the majority have never had an issue. There is something very strange and most certainly not normal going on there.
Hey Tcoat, how you know if rockers go bad?

When I decelerate below 4th gear (downshifting), I hear a click click sound. Like PVC plastic on PVC plastic. This is under 3/4k rpms.

****PVC piping click***********
Old 10-12-2015, 02:45 AM   #20
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post

When I decelerate below 4th gear (downshifting), I hear a click click sound. Like PVC plastic on PVC plastic. This is under 3/4k rpms.

If you hear a slapping noise at idle. Or there's a hole in the engine. Or tear the engine apart and look for scarring in the head.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
Packofcrows (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #21
Tcoat

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
If you hear a slapping noise at idle. Or there's a hole in the engine. Or tear the engine apart and look for scarring in the head.
N1rve gets it.

Or if it just plain won't go anymore.
Every single little noise is not an indication your engine is bad.
strat61caster (10-12-2015), Ultramaroon (10-19-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #22
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Where did the oil go???
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #23
aagun

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
check PCV
aagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:40 AM   #24
Mo707

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
Where did the oil go???
burned it up. Felt really sorry for lady...
Mo707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:32 AM   #25
Tcoat

Quote:
Quote:
burned it up. Felt really sorry for lady...
So you are trying to tell us that one engine has blown up 4 times for burning oil to the point it was low 3.6 quarts?
FRSBRZGT86FAN (10-25-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #26
Justin.b

Drives: 13 Hot Lava, 01 Miata, 09 Outback
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just had my '13 towed to the Scion dealer with what I suspect is a catastrophic engine failure. I will know more when the tech gets to look at it on Monday. The car is an early production '13 that we picked up in July '12 and has just under 40k miles on it.

I heard a nasty crunching sound, check engine light came on. The just about every other light came on. Engine stalled. I coasted it into a parking lot.

The engine won't start. The engine does turn with the ignition key turned to start (I thought the clutch / flywheel may have blown up) but it seems to spin without much resistance. There is no sign of engine internals becoming external and the engine oil level seems fine. With no gaping holes in the block and no real knocking when I crank it over with the key, I'm thinking this is going to be something in the heads.

I just wanted to get this directly to the dealer, so I didn't check the codes before it went.

I also have a Subaru Outback that I need to change the timing belt, clutch and headgaskets on before winter. I was going to pull the motor this morning. I'm glad I didn't because my wife and I would be sharing a Miata on summer tires.

-Justin
Old 10-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #27
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
way to necro the dead ... but seriously there are a lot of .. research and development in our engine motors or quality control .. at least in my opinion
Old 10-25-2015, 07:21 AM   #28
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
N1rve gets it.

Or if it just plain won't go anymore.
Every single little noise is not an indication your engine is bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

As an outside observer this looks quite bad, for the owner or whoever is doing these "rebuilds". Four engine rebuilds when no one else has this issue anymore as well as missing oil? Give this owner a new long block, valvetrain, ecu and let's see if it happens again instead of a top end "rebuild" that's 3 times too many for an engine, especially with the newer ones lasting longer, something doesn't sound right.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote