follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #85
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlookedx View Post
I personally never skipped gears before or after my 4th gear issues with my previous transmission. Even after the issue showed up I still went to 4th, just gingerly. Strangely, with my new transmission I've been skipping gears quite often, just to see if I can improve my MPG.

Reason I bring it up was the first gen S2000 Aisan trans 2000-2003 had issues with people destroying 5th and 6th gear syncros due to transmission design from skipping gears . Going from 2 to 4th or 3rd to 5th was NOT recommended. Since the FRS/BRZ trans has some similarities in many ways I would strongly advise going through every gear not skipping any up shifting until issue is isolated.

Its one thing to rule out. And for god sakes swap out the oem trans fluid ASAP. The stock fluid is pisss water, and most of the Aisin six speeds are sensitive to heat. Consider it insurance
Old 09-18-2013, 12:59 AM   #86
Silver86

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah I swapped my tranny and rear diff fluid out for Motul 300 and WOW its insanely better.
Silver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver86 For This Useful Post:
Marchy (09-19-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 04:11 AM   #87
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver86 View Post
Yeah I swapped my tranny and rear diff fluid out for Motul 300 and WOW its insanely better.
Is it the same color as the stock fluid? Once I get my car back, I was thinking of swapping fluids. The mechanic at the dealer said it could void my warranty on the transmission, but that honestly they wouldn't check as long as it looked the same.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #88
Gixxer86

Drives: Scion FR-S (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I am not a lawyer and do not guarantee this. But from my understanding; as long as the fluid you use meets all of the specs/requirements, they cannot require that you "use the Toyota brand or it will void your warranty." That is illegal according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act... specifically, the "tie-in-sales" portion.

15 USC 2302(c)

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act"]Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this subsection may be waived by the Commission if—
(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection with the warranted product, and
(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on, all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons therefor.
Gixxer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gixxer86 For This Useful Post:
DoomsdayJesus (09-18-2013), RacerDrews (09-19-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #89
Silver86

Drives: Argento FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayJesus View Post
Is it the same color as the stock fluid? Once I get my car back, I was thinking of swapping fluids. The mechanic at the dealer said it could void my warranty on the transmission, but that honestly they wouldn't check as long as it looked the same.

No idea but my guess is no.

The dealership offered to put in the fluid for me and said it wouldn't do shit to my warranty.

I live in a condo and do not have the tools or space to do the work myself. Hell my garage is barely big enough to fit the car as it is.
Silver86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver86 For This Useful Post:
DoomsdayJesus (09-18-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #90
RacerDrews

Drives: 2013 WR blue BRZ
Just had my Trans replaced no questions asked!

reported grind hard from 1st to 2nd when cold and a serious grind a clunk into 5th on a downshift ( freeway speeds obviously ) Subaru put me in a rental with 86 miles on it for my troubles.
RacerDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #91
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Why can't my dealers be so easy to work with?
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #92
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
Why can't my dealers be so easy to work with?
Gotta make them respect your authoritah. Seriously, I took the service rep for a drive, he heard the grind. The technician then claimed after I left he couldn't reproduce it, and I told them to do it again because it was grinding every. single. time.

They will use the "couldn't reproduce" for shakes, rattles, and grinds until they're blue in the face, and you have to tell them straight up the problem's there and you want it fixed, or you're going to Subaru USA/other routes that are going to reflect poorly on them.

I love both of my Subarus but their warranty service fucking sucks.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #93
EL_to_TBD
EL_to_FR-S!

Drives: Scion FR-S
I just posted about this in another post but mine is getting replaced as we speak. Same 2nd gear clunk and grinding from 6th to 5th every time.
Started at about 15000km.

My question is: for those that had it replaced, did it come back?
And for those that switched to Motul 300 or another fluid, did the issue come back for you?

I think I'm going to try to buy some Motul 300 or Redline today and get the dealer to put it in after they replace it.
Don't want to have to go through this crap again.

Lucky for me the dealer has been pretty good, but now it's time to fight for a better price on the extended warranty...
EL_to_TBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #94
sosick
fastest frs in sbg

Drives: sick ass ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
3k miles 4th gear grind. Replaced with motul 300 today and still grinds
sosick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #95
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
UPDATE:

Toyota rep came in today and drove my car. He told me Toyota knows there is a problem and is currently working on a fix. Whether that be a new transmission, new parts, different synchros, he does not currently know. But he has had meetings with other reps and they have all had multiple complaints. He sad it is harder than diagnosing a car such as a Camry, because there are not as many and it is a niche car. He told the dealer to do a complimentary transmission fluid flush with new synthetic transmission oil. He asked me very politely to wait it out rather than getting a new transmission because that one could potentially be the exact same way. I kindly obliged because it is not locking me out of the gears, it is just grinding. He said if it gets worse or they take too long with getting the fix, he will personally take care of my transmission for me. He was very, very nice and understanding. So they know it is a problem, and they are working on it. There will be a TSB put out for it, but he just doesn't know when. Although I'm still not happy with it, I feel better that they know about it and are working on it.

IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES, CONTACT YOUR DEALER AND GET THEIR REGIONAL REP TO COME CHECK IT OUT. The more complaints, the more they know and hopefully the quicker they act on finding a fix.
I'd be curious to know what kind of "synthetic" transmission fluid they use and if that will be the solution for the TSB.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:53 PM   #96
shu5892001
Ontario's FT86

Drives: 2016 Lexus GS-F
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My car started to have notchy 4th, 80% of the time. It is a MY15 with 8000 kms
Old 08-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #97
sosick
fastest frs in sbg

Drives: sick ass ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)