follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2015, 01:47 AM   #337
cookiesowns

Drives: WRB BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just chiming in with a 2015. After an alignment on the stock setup, dialing out the stock slight positive camber ( lol ) and running as much negative as I can front and rear with corresponding toe ( don't remember it ) I have much more confidence in the car at corners.

Driving at big willow was a blast, and the car brought so much more confidence than before. It definitely turns in better, rotates a bit too now.

Driver mods probably helped, but I haven't been on a track day in ages before that weekend.

Will be at buttonwillow this weekend. Very curious to see how the car behaves with this alignment, and the fact that I haven't been there in a year since CSG Mike saw me go off bad lol.
cookiesowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:53 AM   #338
Lord09

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I like the front strut tower brace with master cylinder brace. Mostly because of the MCB.
Any specific recommendations?
Lord09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #339
Bramick

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
Just chiming in with a 2015. After an alignment on the stock setup, dialing out the stock slight positive camber ( lol ) and running as much negative as I can front and rear with corresponding toe ( don't remember it ) I have much more confidence in the car at corners.

Driving at big willow was a blast, and the car brought so much more confidence than before. It definitely turns in better, rotates a bit too now.

Driver mods probably helped, but I haven't been on a track day in ages before that weekend.

Will be at buttonwillow this weekend. Very curious to see how the car behaves with this alignment, and the fact that I haven't been there in a year since CSG Mike saw me go off bad lol.
Try 3 clicks front and 4 clicks back. I did 2/3 last weekend at Cresson and it was a bit jumpy in a few spots.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #340
cookiesowns

Drives: WRB BRZ Series.Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramick View Post
Try 3 clicks front and 4 clicks back. I did 2/3 last weekend at Cresson and it was a bit jumpy in a few spots.
but... I'm still on stock suspension, was just providing feedback to the guy that was debating going straight to coilovers or tracking on stock first.
cookiesowns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cookiesowns For This Useful Post:
icybrzzz (10-28-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 04:12 AM   #341
Trettiosjuan

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
You'd be hard pressed to feel a difference of a rear bar for DD duty. The front bar is arguably negligible also IMO.
Indeed. From a engineering point, the rear towers only take the weight and have no influence on direction even if they flexed. In the front towers, any flex can be felt in the steering as the strut takes the weight but also keeps the wheel in place, and there is a wide open enginebay so you do gain on "closing the box" and "finishing the triangle" to gain a lot of stiffness with only a small part. Preferably a straight front bar (e.g. grimmspeed) if you don't need space for FI. Still, you need to be driving hard and be experienced to appreciate the difference. Alignment and coilovers are felt much more.
Trettiosjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trettiosjuan For This Useful Post:
solidONE (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #342
Bramick

Garage
^^ did you pair this with sway bar upgrades?
Old 10-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #343
Trettiosjuan

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Personally I have a 16mm rear sway to compensate for the increased front roll stiffness relative to the rear when running the same spring rate front and rear (stock is lower spring rate front and thus lower roll stiffness from the springs)...
Trettiosjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trettiosjuan For This Useful Post:
Bramick (10-30-2015)
Old 01-16-2016, 12:15 AM   #344
mtblackfrs

Drives: 2014 black Scion FR-S
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just want to ask around for everybody's opinion here since this is my first coilover. Had the coilover installed for about 3 weeks now and the installer set it all the way to the lowest. The dampening was set to 0 and it felt smooth so I stiffened it up for about 5 more clicks clockwise. I then asked the installer to adjust it higher (2 fingers gap from stock wheels). Every now and then when I'm driving on a bumpy road at low speed (no more than 50mph), every time the suspension hits a bump, my front suspension sounds like it's hitting something (knocking). I took it back to the installer and he said everything is tightened up properly, so I'm thinking it's gotta be the something on the strut assembly that's hitting the top mount? I don't really know. So my question is, is there anybody else experiencing this? I searched around but didn't really get a straight answer/fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mtblackfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:01 AM   #345
shellslinger

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm not sure if I experienced your issue but set your coilovers to 7 clicks from full stiff and check out those same bumps to see if the noise comes back again. If not, it might be your preload?
shellslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #346
shattered_memory

Drives: Satin White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtblackfrs View Post
Just want to ask around for everybody's opinion here since this is my first coilover. Had the coilover installed for about 3 weeks now and the installer set it all the way to the lowest. The dampening was set to 0 and it felt smooth so I stiffened it up for about 5 more clicks clockwise. I then asked the installer to adjust it higher (2 fingers gap from stock wheels). Every now and then when I'm driving on a bumpy road at low speed (no more than 50mph), every time the suspension hits a bump, my front suspension sounds like it's hitting something (knocking). I took it back to the installer and he said everything is tightened up properly, so I'm thinking it's gotta be the something on the strut assembly that's hitting the top mount? I don't really know. So my question is, is there anybody else experiencing this? I searched around but didn't really get a straight answer/fix.

Is the knock loud? I get some faint quiet Knocks when I'm on a bumpy road. I always thought it was normal, since I get the same sound when I was on stock suspension. If it is loud knocks, it may be your front camber plate bearings are worn. Probably need to contact tein for that.
shattered_memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #347
shattered_memory

Drives: Satin White BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellslinger View Post
I'm not sure if I experienced your issue but set your coilovers to 7 clicks from full stiff and check out those same bumps to see if the noise comes back again. If not, it might be your preload?
^could be this also. The springs shouldn't have any preload. Maybe 1 to 2 mm of preload.
shattered_memory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #348
mtblackfrs

Drives: 2014 black Scion FR-S
I just got off the phone with Tein and they don't think my bearings are worn since my coilovers are still basically new. And yes the knock is loud. Tein also mentioned the noise is coming from the low speed vibration reason for a loud knock and they're saying could be the installation even though the installer checked the bolts under my car and re-torqued everything to make sure.. I'm bummed out right now, so I asked Tein to locate me a local dealer that I can bring my car for inspection. 😔

mtblackfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:03 AM   #349
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
If these are anything like the flex A the springs have very little room for preload before the springs bind at full compression.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #350
Bramick

Garage
I have a knock on turn around 10 and 2. Slow speeds and not constant. I can turn back and forth and hear it