follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
shadowlady1997

Drives: Subaru BRZ, BMW R1150rt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Class 1 hitch from U-Haul (For my Bike rack)

I have been in touch with the research and development department at U-Haul about the availability of a hitch for my BRZ. I must have been at the right place at the right time because just yesterday I received a hitch sent directly from their headquarters to try out on my car. I have an appointment tomorrow to have it installed. I'll keep you posted as to the fitment and how it looks after the installation.

Currently U-Haul is listing this hitch as:
Part number U-Haul: 2013 Scion FR-S Rear Wheel Drive trailer hitch components. #25927 $199.00

Here are a few pictures before installation. (Well I guess I'll have to read up on how to post pictures because I received an error that my dimensions are too large in my jpeg file to load properly) Pictures to follow.

I can't wait to be able to attach my bike rack and transport my bikes again.

Last edited by shadowlady1997; 11-03-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: added bike rack for broader search results
shadowlady1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That's great. This should put an end to (at least, in part, resolve) all the threads on trailer hitches, roof racks, bike racks, kayak racks.

I found that the best solution (not my BRZ) has been a trailer hitch which allows one to keep the bike rack as different cars come into use.

When you get to modifying your JPG use a 'medium' size.

Last edited by BRZfan; 11-05-2013 at 06:39 AM.
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
yberther

Drives: '13 SWP Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Interested in pictures compared to the 'offroad' one sold by one of the members on here.

How much did it set you back?
How does it attach?
yberther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
RandyP

Drives: Asphalt FRS
I got mine last week after a 6 week wait. It was about 18lbs and pretty heavy duty with a max tongue weight of 150lbs. No cutting of the car is needed and it attaches to the bumper support area like the off-road hitch but uses thicker material. Only real complaint is that I had to use an angle-grinder on the hitch to get it to mount on my FR-S bumper studs. Just like the off-road hitch, it is close to the stock muffler, but the 1/4" of clearance seems to be enough. Standard receiver just below the bumper cover makes for easy connections.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
leon78

Drives: 13 Whiteout
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Subbed b/c I need a hitch.
GunMetal 16x8+25 Enkei CompE_Cusco OCC_ Kartboy Crank Pulley_Kartboy TMM insert_Koni Yellows_RCE Springs_K&N Drop-In_Eibach FSB_J2 Catless FP_WhiteLine Camber Bolts_NameLess Track Pipe_RBF600_Ferodo DS2500_PTUNING Tuned.
Less parking more racing
leon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
RandyP

Installed pictures

Here's the installed pics showing the tight clearance to the muffler.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
vinh

Drives: a car
wash your car :P
any pics of the hitch not installed?
Old 11-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
shadowlady1997

I had my hitch installed today by a locally owned hitch installer and over all the hitch just needed "a little persuading" but otherwise went flawlessly.

The installer said the instructions could have been more clear. This is what he wrote down for me to report back to U-Haul.

Add to instructions:

Step 1 - Lower exhaust four rubber isolators.

Step 2 - Remove two fascia brackets and reinstall after hitch is installed.

His suggestion to U-Haul is to notch around the fascia brackets.

Here are some pictures I took of the hitch both before and after installation. I am sorry if they are out of order, I am trying to learn the new Windows 8 program.

I will be emailing U-Haul with my experience having the hitch installed on my BRZ. If I were you I would place my order for one of U-Haul's hitches listed for the Scion FRS. I believe it will take 10 days to receive your order.$199.00

Good luck. I am off to go take my bikes on a road trip with me.
PS You can't see the U-Haul stickers after the hitch is installed.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowlady1997 For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-04-2013), leon78 (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
ArgentoAtl

Drives: Argento manual
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So, is this hitch installed by removing the rear bumper like Kast's in another thread? In that thread, some folks had to trim off a flange and in some cases needed to mash the muffler so the hitch does not touch. Was that required here?

Also, do you mind giving the installation cost?

Thanks,
Old 11-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
wrussi

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
awesome! i will be buying this soon!
wrussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #11
imom

Drives: BRZ sold
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I wonder if the stock height or if the car is lowered by an inch or more if the hitch will drag onto the driveway or street? I like that one, but I wish they had one where the hitch receiver was removable so it doesn't affect anything when not in use.

What would be even more cool is the red triangle is removable and the hitch receiver is behind that...hidden away.

BTW, thank you for the post
imom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Can't have everything. For instance, if one 'lowers' their car (without adjustments available), I wouldn't plan on any off-roading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imom View Post
I wonder if the stock height or if the car is lowered by an inch or more if the hitch will drag onto the driveway or street? I like that one, but I wish they had one where the hitch receiver was removable so it doesn't affect anything when not in use.

What would be even more cool is the red triangle is removable and the hitch receiver is behind that...hidden away.

BTW, thank you for the post
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
RandyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoAtl View Post
So, is this hitch installed by removing the rear bumper like Kast's in another thread? In that thread, some folks had to trim off a flange and in some cases needed to mash the muffler so the hitch does not touch. Was that required here?

Thanks,

No flange trimming because it uses thicker metal rather than the gusset support. Muffler clearance is a problem as I heard a new exhaust noise this morning. The hot exhaust pipe expanded enough to touch the hitch at the muffler. I used a crow-bar to flatten the muffler a little where it was touching.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #14
shadowlady1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoAtl View Post

Thanks,

I didn't watch the installation but I believe they would have to have taken the bumper off. They did not have to manipulate the muffler and so far I haven't heard any type of rattle or noise from the hitch coming in contact with the muffler. I should be receiving my new Kuat Sherpa bike rack in the mail tomorrow and I am hoping this is the hot set up for this car.

I paid $80 (flat fee charged at this shop for a hitch installation) and it took them 50 minutes to install it. I hope all this information helps you out some.