follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2017, 05:55 AM   #1
Alabang BRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Kenwood DDX917WS head unit -- any installed?

New Kenwood DDX917WS Release for Toyota & Subaru

The Kenwood DDX917WS release has just been announced and is set to arrive on the Australia shores on 1 March 2017.

The new Kenwood DDX917WS is based on the previous model the DDX916WS but will now included additional features:
  • Built in Air Mirroring via WiFi
  • ADAS DVR Camera control on screen (dash camera control) *Requires Kenwood DRV-N520 sold seperately.
  • Super Hi-Res Audio file playback
Built In “Air Mirroring 2 ” with Advanced Two Way Android Link.

With the new Kenwood DDX917WS Release comes Wi-Fi Mirroring is now built in to our 2017 CP/AA Range (excluding DMX7017BTS)
Connect your smartphone via Wi-Fi and mirror your Android or iPhone screen without fuss onto our 7″ Capacitive Screen!
Kenwood has also added advanced Two Way Smartphone Link to easily control your Android Phone via the head unit. This new technology allows seamless Android control from your head unit without any additional third party apps or Bluetooth setup requirements.
Just simply activate your Android quick connect function and you’re ready to go!
Off Road/4WD mapping,Videos,Apps and even Android Auto Wirelessly via Air Mirroring!
Yes, it’s all possible within the new 2017 CP/AA AV Range.

ADAS DVR Control

An industry first, Kenwood can now integrate an ADAS DVR with the AV Receiver. Full DVR control, screen viewing, setup etc. can all be operated via the Head Unit. The DRV-N520 is a fully Advanced Driving Assistance System (ADAS) DVR that can detect and alert collisions, Lane Departure as well as Departure Delays.

Alerts are communicated on screen and through audio.

Alabang BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:15 PM   #2
HBKeazy!

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Kenwood DDX917WS head unit -- any installed?

I just ordered this on Fasmoto.com for $650! I love how there made for Toyota's. I bought an antenna adapter, camera harness to keep the oem camera and a cable to keep the oem USB port. You don't need a steering wheel control module! It's built in! And connects directly to the cars original port! And it fits perfectly! Im so pumped up can't wait till it gets here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by HBKeazy!; 06-11-2017 at 11:29 PM.
HBKeazy! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HBKeazy! For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (07-13-2017), tv4184 (01-23-2018)
Old 06-11-2017, 11:20 PM   #3
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I thought this was a Aus only unit... I didn't see it on Kenwoods webpage after I saw this video...

imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:23 PM   #4
HBKeazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
I thought this was a Aus only unit... I didn't see it on Kenwoods webpage after I saw this video...

Australia and some parts of Asia

Old 06-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
ncted

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBKeazy! View Post
I just ordered this on Fasmoto.com for $650! I love how there made for Toyota's. I bought an antenna adapter, camera harness to keep the oem camera and a cable to keep the oem USB port. You don't need a steering wheel control module! It's built in! And connects directly to the cars original port! And it fits perfectly! Im so pumped up can't wait till it gets here.

Sounds great and exactly what I want for my '17 BRZ. My question is, considering this is a APAC-market unit, what doesn't work and what is missing? e.g. I assume there is no HD Radio or SiriusXM, which is fine for me, but is there anything else you would expect to have on a NA-market stereo that isn't there?

Thanks,
Ted
ncted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
willimusk

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
DVDs won't play, as they are coded by region. Beyond that, and what you mention, all should work here, as far as I know. I've been considering this unit since it was announced, and finally ordered one myself.
willimusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
ncted

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by willimusk View Post
DVDs won't play, as they are coded by region. Beyond that, and what you mention, all should work here, as far as I know. I've been considering this unit since it was announced, and finally ordered one myself.
OK, yeah, that makes sense. Gotta say I am not that likely to want to sit in my BRZ and watch a DVD, so not gonna sweat that one.
ncted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #8
HBKeazy!

Like he said no dvd, had radio or Sirius. It does have have airplay mirroring. I had to buy an antenna adapter, camera retention with 12v to 6v for the oem camera and USB retention everything else plugged right in. Now I'm trying to bypass the oem amp so I can full control of all the speakers. I'm still amazed about the built in steering wheel control. I programmed one of my buttons to command Siri.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
dezmoondo

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
OK, yeah, that makes sense. Gotta say I am not that likely to want to sit in my BRZ and watch a DVD, so not gonna sweat that one.
As long as Netflix plays.
dezmoondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:57 AM   #10
Jakinit

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Limited (MT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBKeazy! View Post
Like he said no dvd, had radio or Sirius. It does have have airplay mirroring. I had to buy an antenna adapter, camera retention with 12v to 6v for the oem camera and USB retention everything else plugged right in. Now I'm trying to bypass the oem amp so I can full control of all the speakers. I'm still amazed about the built in steering wheel control. I programmed one of my buttons to command Siri.

What camera retention and USB retention did you get? I did a quick install today to see where I'm at and my camera doesn't work. Current thoughts noted below:

1. Steering wheel controls: I went into the setup and it let me set up vol up/down and skip/back. It doesn't seem to register the play, answer or hangup buttons. Did you run into this?

2. Backup camera not currently working. Didn't test it with the engine off, but you mention the steering wheel controls are also the camera?

3. Mic: are you using the included mic? I might try and splice the stock one unless you found an adapter.

4. Need both antenna and USB adapter. Gonna order that now.

5. I need to find where to connect the reverse light. I just grounded the parking break to bypass that but I need to research this one. I only have it a couple hours today.
Jakinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #11
HBKeazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakinit View Post
What camera retention and USB retention did you get? I did a quick install today to see where I'm at and my camera doesn't work. Current thoughts noted below:

1. Steering wheel controls: I went into the setup and it let me set up vol up/down and skip/back. It doesn't seem to register the play, answer or hangup buttons. Did you run into this?

2. Backup camera not currently working. Didn't test it with the engine off, but you mention the steering wheel controls are also the camera?

3. Mic: are you using the included mic? I might try and splice the stock one unless you found an adapter.

4. Need both antenna and USB adapter. Gonna order that now.

5. I need to find where to connect the reverse light. I just grounded the parking break to bypass that but I need to research this one. I only have it a couple hours today.

Yes you program the steering wheel controls I didn't program anything other then what the original controls did. Except the button "mode" I use it to bring out Siri. It should give you options to change that tho but I'm not sure if answer/hang up were an option.

The back up camera needs a 12v to 6v if you have the oem camera. You need this part Axxess AX-TOYCAM3 a video out comes from there and a reverse signal should be in pin 2 from that harness. What I did is I tapped into the harness where pin 2 is so I wouldn't have to mess with the oem wires. All the instructions are included. Ax-cam6v is what you need for the voltage drop to 6v.

I did use the oem mic since I hear anything is better than the oem and from my experience is a little better when I make phone calls.

Yes metra 40lx11 is the antenna adapter and pac USB-ty1 I know metra makes one just look to see if they match.

If you buy the ax-toycam3 you can tap in to a reverse signal. Dont forget the 6v step down converter or it will burn out you oem camera.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #12
willimusk

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP CWP
I bought this unit through Carbon Car Systems in Australia. I believe I was the first person in the States to get one from them. I installed it yesterday, along with the one-piece Canadian dash; it took all of an an hour, and I was being overly cautious.

Carbon bundles with a proprietary wiring harness for the 2017 BRZ that makes it all plug and play. Steering functions and camera work perfectly. The sound is a big upgrade over the stock unit, and having Carplay is a big plus.

Wireless air mirroring is available for both Apple and Android, though it is only one way on the iPhone, meaning it displays but you cannot control any functions from the HU screen. Android is two way. I won't find this feature very useful because it seriously degrades the excellent sound available via wired Carplay. But if I want to use Google Maps or Waze or other non-CarPlay apps, it will be handy.

I have to say, this HU is excellent, IMO, and I'm a hardcore home audio guy. It offers a lot of options to fine-tune the sound, including a number of preset EQ curves and effects. And it looks fantastic in the one-piece dash.

I also purchased the OEM Audio + Reference 450Q, but I plan to spend time with this Kenwood for a while before I install it. At the kind suggestion of Daniel at O+, I actually had Carbon ship directly to O+ so they could install the HU in their test BRZ and tune their DSP to it. The settings have been added to their database, so others can get theirs tuned easily now.
willimusk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willimusk For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (07-13-2017), Irace86.2.0 (12-20-2019)
Old 07-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #13
TheRoops

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Quote:
I bought this unit through Carbon Car Systems in Australia. I believe I was the first person in the States to get one from them. I installed it yesterday, along with the one-piece Canadian dash; it took all of an an hour, and I was being overly cautious.

Carbon bundles with a proprietary wiring harness for the 2017 BRZ that makes it all plug and play. Steering functions and camera work perfectly. The sound is a big upgrade over the stock unit, and having Carplay is a big plus.

Wireless air mirroring is available for both Apple and Android, though it is only one way on the iPhone, meaning it displays but you cannot control any functions from the HU screen. Android is two way. I won't find this feature very useful because it seriously degrades the excellent sound available via wired Carplay. But if I want to use Google Maps or Waze or other non-CarPlay apps, it will be handy.

I have to say, this HU is excellent, IMO, and I'm a hardcore home audio guy. It offers a lot of options to fine-tune the sound, including a number of preset EQ curves and effects. And it looks fantastic in the one-piece dash.

I also purchased the OEM Audio + Reference 450Q, but I plan to spend time with this Kenwood for a while before I install it. At the kind suggestion of Daniel at O+, I actually had Carbon ship directly to O+ so they could install the HU in their test BRZ and tune their DSP to it. The settings have been added to their database, so others can get theirs tuned easily now.
Good move having the DSP calibrated. It sounds amazing. I actually had them do it in person since I work like 2 miles away. They're great guys.
TheRoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
Jakinit

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Limited (MT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I didn't even know carbon systems would ship to the US...that would have made my whole life easier. I hope to get mine fully wired and installed this weekend.
Jakinit is offline   Reply With Quote