follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #15
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
get a shorter spring
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:42 AM   #16
fl4t ftw

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2016 FiST
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Height Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Lower the spring perches, you're not "maxed out"
Yes he is. That’s how mine looks at minimum preload. I suppose I can’t speak for him but I’m at “max low”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
It was never designed to go super low.

It was designed to have decent amount of travel both in bump and droop, while having a modest amount of lowering adjustment.

Removing preload and lowering the spring perch would get you lower, but you would sacrifice some bump travel.
I’d hardly consider a 3” drop “super low”. At best I’m getting 1.75 - 2”. Like I said I still have a full finger of gap at max low. Preload is basically zero on my setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daenon View Post
I'm new to this stuff so I appreciate the help.

The body won't move into the lower housing any more than this. It gets stuck. So when I try to lower the upper perches the body gets jammed and if enough force is given, it will start loosening the preload instead.

This seems more likely what might be wrong... I'm having a hard time imagining the change this would make though. I would set the preload on the perches before re-tightening into control arm, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Extremely doubtful. I tried preloading my control arms during install. It would make such a minute difference and probably would settle anyway once they’re driven on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
get a shorter spring
Sure, but I’m wondering which component was seemingly changed somewhere in the manufacturing process from the older ones to the newer ones.
fl4t ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #17
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl4t ftw View Post
Yes he is. That’s how mine looks at minimum preload. I suppose I can’t speak for him but I’m at “max low”.
"minimum preload" means nothing, you can still lower the spring perches and achieve a lower ride height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtengr View Post
get a shorter spring
If they insist on maintaining the same "preload" then that will have no change to ride height and only create a risk that the spring binds. A stiffer+shorter spring and maintaining "preload" will raise ride height.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #18
fl4t ftw

I didn’t know you could lower the spring perches. I’ll have to look into that.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #19
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl4t ftw View Post
I didn’t know you could lower the spring perches. I’ll have to look into that.
One of the big thing that Tein advertises about the flex series is the ability to change ride height without messing with preload. Hence the perch adjustment.
NoHaveMSG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:52 PM   #20
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Just get a LCA with the different mounting points. PBM is a good option.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #21
fl4t ftw

Height Adjustment

Quote:
Just get a LCA with the different mounting points. PBM is a good option.
Oh wow only $240. Not bad at all. I guess I’ll just sell my SPC ones. The 25mm setting would be perfect.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #22
Daenon

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
One of the big thing that Tein advertises about the flex series is the ability to change ride height without messing with preload. Hence the perch adjustment.
I'm having a hard time finding any info on how to do this. Manual doesn't say anything and searching isn't finding me anything. Any idea of any resources?
Daenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #23
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
I'm having a hard time finding any info on how to do this. Manual doesn't say anything and searching isn't finding me anything. Any idea of any resources?
FULL LENGTH SYSTEM FOR RIDE HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT WITH MINIMAL CHANGE IN RIDE
Full-length ride height adjustment system, used for FLEX Z, enables adjustment of ride height by adjusting the case length, without changing the damper stroke length and/or spring pre-load. This has the advantage that the change in ride quality is kept minimal when the height is adjusted.

This system not only makes it possible to maintain good balance between the low-down appearance and ride comfort, but also provides more setting choices for sport driving as well.

Substitute Z for A. Same wording otherwise. It's in their advertising and what everyone is referring to when saying adjust the spring perch instead of messing with the preload. I don't have the manual in front of me.

Last edited by NoHaveMSG; 01-10-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #24
Daenon

Quote:
Full-length ride height adjustment system, used for FLEX Z, enables adjustment of ride height by adjusting the case length, without changing the damper stroke length and/or spring pre-load. This has the advantage that the change in ride quality is kept minimal when the height is adjusted.

This system not only makes it possible to maintain good balance between the low-down appearance and ride comfort, but also provides more setting choices for sport driving as well.

Substitute Z for A. Same wording otherwise. It's in their advertising and what everyone is referring to when saying adjust the spring perch instead of messing with the preload.
Okay but I can't find anything on HOW to do it. I know how to unlock the lower collar and screw the body into the lower housing (which maxes out), I know how to adjust the preload. What I think you guys are saying is I can lower the upper perches (that normally adjust preload) without removing preload, which I don't know how to do.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #25
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Substitute Z for A. Same wording otherwise. It's in their advertising and what everyone is referring to when saying adjust the spring perch instead of messing with the preload. I don't have the manual in front of me.
Quote:
Okay but I can't find anything on HOW to do it. I know how to unlock the lower collar and screw the body into the lower housing (which maxes out), I know how to adjust the preload. What I think you guys are saying is I can lower the upper perches (that normally adjust preload) without removing preload, which I don't know how to do.
ya'll got it all mixed up.
two ways to lower it.
1. as the manual suggests- bottom mount, keeps preload and adjusts the case length.
2. Spring perch, which also affects preload. Not suggested as spring will not be captive under full droop and it will affect bump travel.
option 3. buy lower control arms with different mounting points.
option 4. buy another suspension setup.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #26
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
What I think you guys are saying is I can lower the upper perches (that normally adjust preload) without removing preload, which I don't know how to do.
No, after further lowering the spring perch there will be "zero preload" at full droop the springs will be loose.

This is really not as problematic as it's hyped up to be. For instance all of RCE's Tarmac setups have springs that would be loose at full droop without the tender springs they include in their kit. Those have "zero preload" and there's nothing terribly wrong with that.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #27
Daenon

Quote:
ya'll got it all mixed up.
two ways to lower it.
1. as the manual suggests- bottom mount, keeps preload and adjusts the case length.
2. Spring perch, which also affects preload. Not suggested as spring will not be captive under full droop and it will affect bump travel.
option 3. buy lower control arms with different mounting points.
option 4. buy another suspension setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
No, after further lowering the spring perch there will be "zero preload" at full droop the springs will be loose.

This is really not as problematic as it's hyped up to be. For instance all of RCE's Tarmac setups have springs that would be loose at full droop without the tender springs they include in their kit. Those have "zero preload" and there's nothing terribly wrong with that.
Thanks guys. I was beginning to think there was some miscommunication with NoHaveMSG. I retightended bolts under weight and I think it helped a bit (more so some turn stability/return to center issues I was having). I'm perfectly content with the answer "they just weren't meant to go lower." I was more just worried I did something wrong since the front would go so much lower than the rear. Thanks for your patience and help!
Old 01-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #28
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Sorry, I didn't give you any reference as to exactly what I was referring too. It just sounds like for some of you guys these just don't go low enough. My car is only dropped about an 1.25, as someone who came from the motorcycle industry I found the preload/height adjustment setup rather ingenious.