follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Riddle me this Batman

4 1/2 years ago I did the Rav 4 key fob conversation. Yesterday I go to lunch and as I shut off the car, the plastic piece that holds the physical part of the key to the fob just shattered.

Luckily I had a good portion of the key still sticking out of the ignition. I get a pair of pliers with one hand and hold the key fob close to the ignition with the other (I'm not sure how the chip works but I wasn't taking any chances). I grab ahold of that key with the pliers and give her a twist......she started as soon as she cranked over. I drive back to work and finish my shift.

I knockoff work and head out to my car. Again I hold the key fob close to the ignition with one had and turn the key with pliers in the other. She fired right up....then died 2.5 seconds later. I gave it another twist and she attempted to start but immediately died. I tried to start it over and over and with every ignition turn, the starter would cut off a fraction of a second sooner than the previous attempt. Before too long the starter would not bump or engage at all. No clicking noise or anything. Just a weird hummming from the speaker every time I turned the ignition.

I know what you're thinking and the battery was not deing. I have to give it to whomever designed and built our factory battery because that thing is fucking resultant. I was in sub freezing temps cranking her for 15mins straight (thanks E85 in cold weather) before it finally fired. I have literally put that battery through hell and it's still alive. I know for a fact it wasn't the battery.

My spare key is at home and I live 40mins away without traffic. My roommate was in a job interview so I couldn't ask him to bring it. Luckily one of my coworkers that lives near me was still at work and was able to give me a ride home. She offered to give me a ride in the morning and I could just bring my spare key with me then.

The next morning we get to work and my car fired right up with the spare.

Why did it start up after I broke the key fob but acted that way when I got off work?

When I was on lunch and it started after the fob broke, it's like there was "residual signal left" and the car started. Then when I went to leave work, the signal slowly faded away when each attempt at starting it until the signal dissipated.
Attached Images

370hp on E-85

Last edited by draggin_az; 03-09-2017 at 09:42 PM.
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Because, your pictures are too damn big .........

What is the ...... Rav 4 key fob conversation ..??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:22 PM   #3
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
key start cars will actually crank and start but if the software code is not read from the fob part then car will shut off after a few seconds. The keylees cars wont even crank.

check the key symbol on dash if its orange or red then car will die its indication that code is read from fob, if it still red in coulour code is not reading correctly or fob is bad

id also try removing then reinserting key into ignition this may trigger some kind of reset
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

humfrz
Lol they are uploaded straight from my cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
key start cars will actually crank and start but if the software code is not read from the fob part then car will shut off after a few seconds. The keylees cars wont even crank.

check the key symbol on dash if its orange or red then car will die its indication that code is read from fob, if it still red in coulour code is not reading correctly or fob is bad

id also try removing then reinserting key into ignition this may trigger some kind of reset
I was able to drive home from lunch just fine and it was broken.

When I got off work and was attempting to start it, there were no lights on the dash indicating anything.

Trust me when I said I tried everything......pulling the key out and putting it bank in....pulling the key out, opening the door, closing it, putting it back in....locking the doors then unlocking them......pulling the key out, opening the door, closing it, looking the doors from the fob, unlocking them, opening the door, closing it, putting the key back in and turning to start it....I tried everything I could to "reset it".

When I was on lunch and it started after the fob broke, it's like there was "residual signal left" and the car started. Then when I went to leave work, the signal slowly faded away when each attempt at starting it until the signal dissipated.
370hp on E-85
Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

humfrz
It is swapping the guts for a flip out key. Sort of like a little switchblade. I considered it until I read about them breaking all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post

check the key symbol on dash if its orange or red then car will die its indication that code is read from fob, if it still red in colour code is not reading correctly or fob is bad

This^ Pushbutton start cars send out a strong signal to find the fob's chip as long as it is in a two foot range of the seat. The unit checking for the physical key is very week and looking for the chip in a very specific place. Only an inch or so can mean it doesn't recognize it.
draggin_az (03-10-2017), humfrz (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 11:02 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It is swapping the guts for a flip out key. Sort of like a little switchblade. I considered it until I read about them breaking all the time.

OK.

But why would anyone want to do that..??

I had a "switchblade" key like that for my miata ...... never thought it was special.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:46 PM   #7
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This^ Pushbutton start cars send out a strong signal to find the fob's chip as long as it is in a two foot range of the seat. The unit checking for the physical key is very week and looking for the chip in a very specific place. Only an inch or so can mean it doesn't recognize it.

^that. When I had my sti i had a key that wasnt chipped as a spare. If i tried to use it i had to hold my chipped key exactly right or it would do just as you described. You probably were holding the broken fob a little different and the connection wasnt good enough

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
draggin_az (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #8
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Quote:
OK.

But why would anyone want to do that..??

I had a "switchblade" key like that for my miata ...... never thought it was special.

humfrz
I don't like large objects in my pocket and the factory key is bulky. Honestly is oversized imo. This was a way to shrink it and hat it laying in my pocket more comfortably.
370hp on E-85
The Following User Says Thank You to draggin_az For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-10-2017)