follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I'll admit I'm a complete suspension n00b, and have never had a need to drop a car (although I have raised a truck or too) so pardon if this is a stupid question, but at least I'll learn something out of it.

The numbers I've seen so far for the FR-S range from 5.11" (Toyota numbers) to 4.9" (C&D review) ground clearance, so lets call it 5".

Dropping it 1.5 to 2 inches just to reduce wheel gap would seem to me to make it almost undriveable in the real world. I'm already concerned about some of the speed bumps I go over every day.

Am I missing something obvious?
Yeah in my opinion it is already low enough from the factory, I don't think there's any reason to lower it more.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
Rabble

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Damn, this is a tiny car!
Rabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #17
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
If you have to ask that question, then you're totally OK leaving your suspension stock.

If you want to know why I will be changing my suspension components, it's because:

A. I want to tweak it to perform better, and better fit my driving style

B. I want to improve the looks of the car. Like many of us, I think the wheel gap on this car looks terrible, and the stock wheels aren't spectacular either.

Now I understand that certain compromises will be made in doing so. The ride quality may be less pleasant, due to higher spring/damper rates and reduced suspension travel. These are compromises the manufacturer had to make to ensure that everyone wouldn't be offended by the way the car behaves. Everyone will have different opinions on what's best for the car. Bottom line is, if you drive it and you're totally satisfied with the way it is stock, then don't worry about it.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.

Last edited by Turbowned; 04-24-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #18
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
I have to agree with Dadhawk on this. Over the weekend I attended a EuroSunday meet of sports car enthusiasts and listened to a number of them boast about how much they spent on suspension mods to lower their cars. Then I watched them gingerly drive over speed bumps on the way out. They will spend 99.9% of their time daily driving and having to watch out for speed bumps and road dips and then do the occasional autocross. Another point about "mods"- I recently sold a Mini Cooper back to a dealer in preparation to getting the FRS and the first question they asked was "Have you done any mods"? It is apparently much more difficult to sell a modded car because of the implication that it has been raced. I plan on keeping my FRS stock because I figure that Toyota / Subaru engineers know what they're doing.
If you know what you're doing then mods can actually increase the value of a car. I've seen race converted and turbocharged civics with asking prices of just below 20K.

Besides, when you trade your car in they will always lowball you.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
If you know what you're doing then mods can actually increase the value of a car. I've seen race converted and turbocharged civics with asking prices of just below 20K.

Besides, when you trade your car in they will always lowball you.
I would never consider a modded used car because, like a whore, you don't know where its been.

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to russv For This Useful Post:
JARE_ee (07-26-2014)
Old 04-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaquestion View Post
Threads like this are the very reason why I hate car meets, and the car community in general. All I have to ask is, why do you care? Why do you care what someone else is doing with their car. Focus on your own life, your own interest, and your own property, and quit judging people for doing the same.

Also, the right aftermarket suspension for ANY car will improve handling. It doesn't matter if they spent 2 years designing the suspension, because they did it on a budget. Where as purchasing a new aftermarket suspension throws that budget right out the window. I am not saying every aftermarket setup for the BRZ/FR-S will improve handling, but there sure as hell will be a lot that do.

That's like saying, why upgrade the tires when the car was built and tuned around its Prius tires.
i dont think the OP's question was judgmental, or it shouldnt have been. i think it's more like, "really can you explain to me why?" and im no expert at all and i do genuinely want to know.

and again with the Prius tires, it's a set of very nice tires that a Prius can *upgrade* to, they are better than majority of the stock tires you see on the road.
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luxmn For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-24-2012), russv (04-24-2012), WhiteGDB (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #21
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
i dont think the OP's question was judgmental, or it shouldnt have been. i think it's more like, "really can you explain to me why?" and im no expert at all and i do genuinely want to know.

and again with the Prius tires, it's a set of very nice tires that a Prius can *upgrade* to, they are better than majority of the stock tires you see on the road.
That's not a regular Prius tire, it's the tire found in Prius sport package that is sold in Japan. I'm using the exact same tire on my IS right now. They are kinda expensive( about 250 for 17"), but they are pretty good. Not very sticky, but grippy and perform fairly good in wet condition.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #22
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
That's not a regular Prius tire, it's the tire found in Prius sport package that is sold in Japan. I'm using the exact same tire on my IS right now. They are kinda expensive( about 250 for 17"), but they are pretty good. Not very sticky, but grippy and perform fairly good in wet condition.
yup exactly
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
If you have to ask that question, then you're totally OK leaving your suspension stock.
.....Everyone will have different opinions on what's best for the car. Bottom line is, if you drive it and you're totally satisfied with the way it is stock, then don't worry about it.
Thanks for the clarification.

I have no problem with anyone doing anything they want to their car, I really just wanted to make sure I understood the relationship between ground clearance and modifying the suspension to get rid of the wheel gap.

Honestly, I don't think I could lower it if I wanted to. Right now, I think the front may drag just getting in/out of my driveway. My street has probabably 10% grade and my driveway has a greater grade immediately upon turn-in. My wife's Mustang barely clears the nose.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #24
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
I would never consider a modded used car because, like a whore, you don't know where its been.
That's true for any car. Especially manuals.

Buy an auto if you want a babied car.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #25
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Threads like this are the very reason why I hate car meets, and the car community in general. All I have to ask is, why do you care? Why do you care what someone else is doing with their car. Focus on your own life, your own interest, and your own property, and quit judging people for doing the same.
Not sure you are referring to my question or not, but to clarify I DON"T CARE. You can lower it to .005" clearance, paint it Primer and Pink and put Hello Kitty ears on it. I'd admire your handiwork and say "Hey, interesting choice there".

Sometimes a question really is just about learning something new, that's all. Your type of response is why I don't like car meets because folks get offended if it sounds like you're questioning their choices.

Sometimes, I just want to have a conversation around why you make the choices you do. You can even ask me why I left mine stock. I'd have reasons, and you might even change my mind.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
colHolm (04-24-2012), ichitaka05 (04-24-2012), nibor33 (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #26
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Sometimes a question really is just about learning something new, that's all. Your type of response is why I don't like car meets because folks get offended if it sounds like you're questioning their choices.
You guys must be going to the wrong meets.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #27
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
You guys must be going to the wrong meets.
Sounds like justaquestion and I both go to the same ones and only talk to each other!

My statement was probably too broad. I've been to good ones and bad ones. I was really just trying to say it seems to work both ways.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #28
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Probably throw on a slightly bigger rear sway bar to see if that stiffens the back enough to not want to do springs. Downside is I have found driving in bad snow with a big back sway to be a bit dangerous. I almost ran my STI into a snowplow with how loose the back end was... ended up just passing him in a glorious awd sideways drift.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote