follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2017, 10:35 PM   #99
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
This is the noise level of mine now. I can live with that (note the center console is not mounted and it takes quite a bit of noise):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw0JiDWUpBc"]DIY tuning: Performance check... - YouTube[/ame]
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
TeutonicShift89 (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 12:53 AM   #100
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
This is the noise level of mine now. I can live with that (note the center console is not mounted and it takes quite a bit of noise):
You don't know what the rattle is on the shifter? Or you do and it just wont go away with anything you do?

Instagram: Drakiv
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:07 AM   #101
RiskyTrousers

Drives: '87 Corolla GTS, '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I got mine installed a couple of days ago and have rattle in all the top gears (1st, 3rd, 5th), although it's really bad in 3rd. I haven't had a chance to remove the console yet but it sounds like it could be coming from the linkage. First thing I'll try is to add some o-rings or a washer and a metric ton of grease.
RiskyTrousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:19 AM   #102
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakiv View Post
You don't know what the rattle is on the shifter? Or you do and it just wont go away with anything you do?
The problem most likely lies in the gearbox. That's probably why Subaru/Toyota can't fix the stock shifter rattle either. Without the center console, and if you try to blend out the shifter rattle, you can really hear the gearbox sounds like a sack of nuts being tossed around. The shifter is just singing along like a tuning fork. When the shifter is not being fixated if just vibrates silently along with the gearbox. But the rubber boot is enough that it makes audible vibrations, hence it helps to install a softer boot. At least that's my findings so far.

If you are lucky enough to have a car where the stock shifter doesn't vibrate, you probably wont have any problems with this shifter either. From doing a ton of research on shifter rattle on this forum here, it seems to be the same problem with every short shifter mod and with the stock shifter and the TSB from Scion.

Solution, get another gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskyTrousers View Post
I got mine installed a couple of days ago and have rattle in all the top gears (1st, 3rd, 5th), although it's really bad in 3rd. I haven't had a chance to remove the console yet but it sounds like it could be coming from the linkage. First thing I'll try is to add some o-rings or a washer and a metric ton of grease.
Don't bother, it's not the linkage.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:19 AM   #103
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
OK, here is a possible solution: the bolt in the picture 1 is to fixate the cable. The movement could be happening where the hex key is pointing in picture 2.
If you undo the bottom bolt, (make sure you have something to hold the cable into position) and pull it a little to apply a slight tension on the cable, the rattle could be possibly eliminated!

Also, to reduce the rattle please use a piece of hard rubber to place it in between the unit and gearbox! Or like our german friend here, use a piece of carbon fiber.
Attached Images

Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk77FT For This Useful Post:
BRZ FTW (02-28-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 11:48 PM   #104
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I have made this sandwich consisting of carbon fiber plate, soft rubber and aluminum plate. Will report back with results.
Name:  IRP CF.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  45.1 KB
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hawk77FT For This Useful Post:
BRZ FTW (03-08-2017), civicdrivr (03-08-2017), Crazypinoy9 (03-08-2017), Tor (03-08-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 08:45 AM   #105
BR-ZED

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sorry in advance if this isn't the best place for this.

I like the idea of the irp short shifter, but not the nearly $500 price tag... I just don't think I could justify that cost.

Even the kartboy seems expensive for what it does ($290 or so).

Have any of you considered a budget setup to shorten throw and extend the shift lever? I want a higher lever for autox and track, but at a lower price range.

I was thinking something like the TRD short shifter
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/trd-...Q#.WMP0Z59OnqA

coupled with something like this:
(4 or 7 inches)
https://www.twmperformance.com/shift...ies-shift-knob

Or (5 inches)
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/alum...l#.WMP8Vp9OnqB

Or a simple extender
http://www.subispeed.com/torque-solu...Q#.WMP-D59OnqA

There's also this thread
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2425528

but curious how something like what I've mentioned compares to the IRP.
BR-ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #106
Trust86

Drives: 2016 Halo FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Even though you are using a short shifter, the taller you go, the longer the throws get
Trust86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:33 AM   #107
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR-ZED View Post
Sorry in advance if this isn't the best place for this.

I like the idea of the irp short shifter, but not the nearly $500 price tag... I just don't think I could justify that cost.

Even the kartboy seems expensive for what it does ($290 or so).

Have any of you considered a budget setup to shorten throw and extend the shift lever? I want a higher lever for autox and track, but at a lower price range.

I was thinking something like the TRD short shifter
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/trd-...Q#.WMP0Z59OnqA

coupled with something like this:
(4 or 7 inches)
https://www.twmperformance.com/shift...ies-shift-knob

Or (5 inches)
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/alum...l#.WMP8Vp9OnqB

Or a simple extender
http://www.subispeed.com/torque-solu...Q#.WMP-D59OnqA

There's also this thread
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2425528

but curious how something like what I've mentioned compares to the IRP.
Don't think anything you can do with a regular OEM style 'short shift' kit can compare to what you experience with something like the IRP / CAE Ultra shifter. I reference my thoughts with a link to my post in the CAE Ultra Shifter DIY thread:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=15

I'm glad the IRP came out, because it's ~1/2 the price of the CAE Ultra shifter and basically performs the same...
BR-ZED (03-15-2017), FirstWinter (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #108
FirstWinter

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Just got mine installed yesterday. Decided to add some tennis overgrip to it to add some color and more grip. Figured it would help with wear over time from shifting.
FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:42 PM   #109
bhmax

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 FiST, 05 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Got this installed yesterday. Seeing all the talk of vibration, I cut up the large stock rubber boot and used it as a gasket between the car and the IRP base plate. It appeared that the main bracket was going to rub against the metal ring as everything was tightened down, so I put some thin rubber in those locations. Went for a drive and still got a lot of vibration from what seemed to be the reverse button, mainly in the odd gears, but in all gears the higher the RPMs got. I removed the reverse button and the small metal cylinder below it that the cable goes through. I put some tape around them to stop metal on metal contact. That probably took away 90% of the annoying rattle for me. I'll need to drive some more to see if it's tolerable for me now. I could always try the CF base plate idea or I might need some thicker tape or something similar in the areas I've already tried.
bhmax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bhmax For This Useful Post:
Tor (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #110
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax View Post
Got this installed yesterday. Seeing all the talk of vibration, I cut up the large stock rubber boot and used it as a gasket between the car and the IRP base plate. It appeared that the main bracket was going to rub against the metal ring as everything was tightened down, so I put some thin rubber in those locations. Went for a drive and still got a lot of vibration from what seemed to be the reverse button, mainly in the odd gears, but in all gears the higher the RPMs got. I removed the reverse button and the small metal cylinder below it that the cable goes through. I put some tape around them to stop metal on metal contact. That probably took away 90% of the annoying rattle for me. I'll need to drive some more to see if it's tolerable for me now. I could always try the CF base plate idea or I might need some thicker tape or something similar in the areas I've already tried.
How did you get the button off? I want to try this too.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #111
bhmax

Drives: 13 BRZ, 16 FiST, 05 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor View Post
How did you get the button off? I want to try this too.
There's a couple of set screws on the front and rear that I removed. Then I just put some pressure on the top of the button and unscrewed it.
bhmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #112
Tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhmax View Post
There's a couple of set screws on the front and rear that I removed. Then I just put some pressure on the top of the button and unscrewed it.
Thanks, I will try that. This I how I have my shifter now:

It's a 3 mm rubber plate below the carbon. Combined with a softer rubber boot. Note the boot doesn't touch the carbon only the rubber and it's not firmly attached, just floating on top of the rubber plate. The carbon plate is just there to stabilize the rubber.

This took away all the handle-noise and I now only have a hissing rattle from the button above 6-7k rpm. Would be great to eliminate that too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tor For This Useful Post:
bhmax (03-29-2017)