follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
Axel

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GAZOO Racing info.

content removed

Last edited by Axel; 03-21-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Axel

When making omelets, the flavor will vary depending not only on whether salt or soy sauce is added, but also on how much is added, in what order, and when in the cooking process. The very best chefs can make all the difference to a soup by adding just the right amount of salt at the very end. The “automotive seasoning” that we do is exactly the same. The feel of the ride can change completely by changing the shock absorber shims by just two-tenths of a millimeter. Also, the quality of the ride that humans feel when driving is related to “longitudinal G-force” (“lateral G-force” is related to fear), and through experience and training, we can feel and adjust the force in units of 1/1000 of a G. The longitudinal G-force normally felt in an elevator is about 0.2 G, so this gives an idea of just how subtle our adjustments are. If these minute differences are taken in isolation, ordinary people won’t feel anything different. But when combined together with all the other minute differences, a big difference can be made to the “taste” of the car.

When we eat delicious food, if we can tell the secret to its delicious taste to be solely the careful use of salt or the use of high-quality soy sauce, then it can’t truly be called a great dish. Put another way, most people cannot really tell the difference between high-end brand clothes and relatively inexpensive clothes simply by looking at them, but when worn, the differences become apparent. This is the case of high-quality products and of true tastes. It is exactly the same with cars. One troublesome matter is that we get tired of food that tastes too good. If the food is too perfect, it’s good while we’re eating it, but afterwards, it does not leave any lasting impression. It has been commonly said that people get tired of a beauty after three days. With a car, as in the case of my dear wife, the true flavor comes out after years of being together, through thick and thin. As with one’s spouse, it is the odd imperfection that gives a car its unique character and appeal. Even at my age, I feel that I still have a long way to go. There is no end to the journey in search of new and interesting flavors.

When I speak to European engineers, they often talk about “agility.” They say things like “This car is agile” or “It’s not agile.” I do not speak English well (my discussions with Europeans are generally conducted in Japanese; rather than speak in halting English or use interpreters, it is easier to convey information in Japanese when talking to other engineers), so I don’t understand the underlying meaning, but I have taken “agility” to mean that the balance is good or well-connected, so I answer, “That’s right-‘taste’ is crucial for a car.” This is enough to establish a conversation, so I do believe that what we are trying to say is universal.

The best steering is found on Mercedes Benz vehicles. For riding comfort, it is BMW. If these characteristics were to be combined in one vehicle, would you want to try driving it? Unfortunately, if you were to drive such a vehicle, you would almost certainly be disappointed. Mercedes have a flavor unique to Mercedes, while BMWs have a flavor unique to BMW, and although each has its good points, simply combining them will not result in a better product. There is no point in imitation. We have to create a unique Japanese flavor that they do not offer. I want to create cars that have a unique Japanese flavor like the famous five-story pagodas in Nara and Kyoto, and compete against European cars. Japanese companies focus too much on eliminating imperfections. When cooking, if we add salt when it is not salty enough and then add sugar when we want a sweeter flavor, the flavor steadily becomes peculiar. The main point is that this is an issue of balance. If we focus only on the imperfections and completely eliminate them, the quality that existed until then would probably be destroyed. To create good flavor, it is important to accentuate the good points (strengths) rather than eliminate every imperfection. If we were to create an all-round vehicle with no imperfections that practically no one would dislike, it wouldn’t have any flavor. European automakers understand this well.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Axel

When adding seasoning, it is necessary to determine one’s own flavor. Even if you were to conduct a survey and ask customers what kinds of flavor they want, you wouldn’t find the answer there. Rather, there are two possible questions that you could ask customers. Does it taste good or bad? Or, do you want to eat it again or not? This is because customers are not professionals, and if you increase or decrease the salt according to customer requests, the flavor will gradually become peculiar. There is no sense in seeking a middle of the road taste that practically no-one would dislike. Of course, flavoring something only in accordance with your own personal preferences is not acceptable. That said, as a professional, no one will accept your creation unless you develop a style distinctly your own. In my case, when seasoning, I ask and answer questions by myself from the perspective of the customer. I first sit in the back seat, then in the passenger seat, and last sit in the driver’s seat and hold the steering wheel. My method is to first apply the seasoning from a distance. I perform this repeatedly, and the flavor is slowly perfected. After this step is completed, one’s own flavor is finally achieved.

As automotive manufacturing has recently entered the CAD/CAM era, people like to replace everything with data and calculate everything by computers. Data, however, only indicates results in numeral form; the figures cannot represent transient characteristics that occur only momentarily. This is also the case with cooking, as the flavor is determined in an instant. Even if something is cooked according to the recipe, it does not always have the same flavor. A computer alone cannot generate flavor. I fear that we are becoming over-dependent on the computers. At one point, there was an attempt to quantify my know-how and create a manual. In the end, however, it didn’t turn out well. This is because know-how is not the same as knowledge. Results such as “in this type of situation, I used this kind of countermeasure” are no more than solutions for specific problems. What is important is asking how the solution was reached, or why something was done the way it was. This is what we call technique or craftsmanship. Craftsmanship is not handed down through education. Things that are learnt from others passively will never be useful. What is necessary is “nurturing.” In other words, you will not learn unless you feel that you must do something and want to do something and have the desire to learn and to take from others. Craftsmanship is handed down in implicit knowledge.

Races are the best forum for handing down craftsmanship and nurturing human resources. Unexpected things happen all the time and things that must be done out of necessity occur constantly. It is necessary to skillfully and accurately solve problems with limited time and tools. These types of things do not happen within a computer, but happen right before our eyes. It is under these extreme conditions that we focus entirely on winning the race and work as hard as we possibly can. The word “can’t” does not exist at the racetrack. This type of experience builds our character, and builds cars. Both the drivers and engineers focus their five senses to engage in a dialogue with the car under the extreme conditions of the race. It is through this dialogue that the perfect flavor becomes visible. Since Toyota’s foundation, it has placed particular importance on checking based on the Genchi Genbutsu approach, and it is through this that the flavor of cars is created. As I mentioned earlier, what is important is not discussing automobile development based on words and data, but to actually install the parts, feel them with your own hands, and see them with your own eyes. Looking back over Toyota’s history, prototypes of both the Toyota 2000GT and the AE86 were put in races before they went on sale, to refine their flavor. Toyota has always made cars based on this principle. I want car developers to study their craft through the medium of car racing, and remember that the flavor of Toyota cars was created on the racetrack. Even now, European cars such as Porsche and Ferrari are created on the racetrack.

A restaurant has a person who is responsible for determining the flavor of the dishes. That is the chef. The decisions of the chef are final. Dishes that the chef has determined unacceptable are never brought to a customer’s table; if the chef gives the okay, the dish will appear on the restaurant’s menu and will be served to customers no matter how many others object. Determining the flavor isn’t done by a majority vote. Deciding things by compromise is also highly objectionable. European automakers employ a master craftsman (meister) who is responsible for determining the flavor of the cars, and until that person gives the okay, the cars cannot be sold. I believe that Toyota needs this type of person in the future. A restaurant chef not only determines the flavor of the dishes, but has the authority to make decisions on all stages of preparation, right from procuring the ingredients. To me, the ideal would be for a member of the Toyota management team to be such a chef who understands completely the ingredients and the flavors.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Axel

Test Driver, Toyota Motor Corporation
Hiromu Naruse

Hiromu Naruse has had a unique career. After joining Toyota Motor Corporation in 1963, he was first employed as a temporary employee in the Vehicle Evaluation and Engineering Division of Toyota. (At the time, Naruse held numerous qualifications. In addition to being a certified auto mechanic, he also held a level-2 certificate for the abacus and was nearly placed in the Accounting Division). Naruse worked his way up through the ranks to become a test driver. During the first 10 years after joining Toyota, he was involved in motorsports projects, and headed up production of the Toyota 7 and Toyota 2000GT. In 1970, Naruse was stationed in Switzerland where he was involved in the formative years of Toyota Motorsports, including Japan’s first participation in the Nürburgring and Spa-Francorchamps races. He influenced development of all the sporty mass-production vehicles from the Toyota 2000GT to the MR-S, and has racked up more years of experience and logged more miles on the holy ground of vehicle development, Nürburgring (Germany), than any other Japanese. Even Ferrari acknowledges his expertise, giving him the nickname “Nur Meister (One and Only Master Craftsman)” and referring to him as the “man who knows all the world’s roads.” Although Naruse is now over 65, he continues to conduct road tests on the autobahn and drives through mountainous areas with his wife on his days off to keep up his driving skills. He is a kind but uncompromising, tireless worker, and numerous automobile journalists count themselves among his fans.

Created as a compact sports car, its market launch coincided with the 1965 race season. It debuted as non-production model from Engineering Division 7 of Toyota Motor Co., Ltd. and in spite of its lower-end specs, it is well known for competing in numerous impressive races with its rival, the Honda S600/S800.

Toyota offered the production model 1600GT in response to a market demand for a truly sporty car. Although it possessed the Corona hardtop, the 9R DOHC engine developed by Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. set it apart from the Corona. A race model was also developed, equipped with many special features, such as a five-speed gearbox and Toyota customized parts.

This sports car measured up to international standards in both performance and styling. Yamaha oversaw engine development and also provided the superbly crafted body. During the period from its unveiling to its launch, the car established various records in motor sports, including setting a world speed record.

This two-seater racing car was revealed in 1968 with the aim of channeling Toyota’s racing experience into a production car. The year following its debut, it took 3rd place in a racing competition, and in 1970, a new 7 equipped with a turbocharged, five-liter engine was ready for the Japanese Grand Prix. Unfortunately, the 800ps “monster” never got a chance to flex its muscles due to the cancellation of the race.

This was the first domestically produced specialty car, debuting in December 1970. It had a slim, two-door coupe body with a long nose and short trunk base, which it shared with the Family Saloon and Carina launched at the same time.

The Trueno inherited the front engine, rear-wheel drive and was equipped with retractable headlights to distinguish it from the Levin. In October 1985, a 1600GT sedan version was produced.

This car got its name by taking the first letters of the phrase “Mid-ship Runabout 2-seater.” It was the first car in Japan to have a mid-ship engine design and was developed for young drivers particular about enjoying the driving experience. Its low-nosed front was equipped with retractable headlights, and its overall style exuded sportiness.

The Supra aimed to be a genuine super sports car and underwent its first complete redesign in May 1993. It had a low, wide shape and an ultra-curvy body. The aggressive, captivating styling gave it a striking appearance, including the large, optional rear-wing spoiler. The Supra offered buyers a conventional sports car without the high-tech equipment.

In November 1998, this car debuted as a genuine sports sedan for sporty drivers who had long-awaited a front engine, rear-wheel drive car, which had not been produced for some time in Japan. The engine aside, it employed the Progres platform with a shortened wheelbase of 110mm, and sported a slightly larger tread. The overall body width was increased, placing it in a larger class size.

In October 1999, this car debuted as Toyota’s new mid-ship sports car and replaced the MR2, which had been produced for about 10 years. The rear wheel drive was transversely placed behind the driver and passenger. The MR-S was a sports car that emphasized drivability and sought to provide nimble steering over power.

The world’s first mass-production hybrid car, the Prius, underwent a complete redesign in 2007. The second generation Prius debuted on September 1, 2003. It achieved 29.6km/L (based on the 10-15 Japanese test cycle) and was the first vehicle to accomplish “FY2015 Fuel Efficiency Standards” in accordance with the Law Concerning the Rational Use of Energy. Its motor output and efficiency were increased to provide power performance on par with a two-liter vehicle.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Excellent post!
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
This thread delivers!
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
Good read
Midship Runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Kenji

Drives: RX8
Damn that's some good info. So is this like BMW's M and Mercedes' AMG? Or something not as integrated and controlled by Toyota?
Kenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Nice, I wish Honda had this same level of dedication.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S2KtoFT86 For This Useful Post:
JPxM0Dz (08-01-2013)