follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-13-2015, 03:40 AM   #1
Spinning Sushi
Legend

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Sushi's DD Build

So, I jumped on the car journal bandwagon a little late… Anyways, a little intro about myself.

I've owned multiple rotary powered cars throughout my life and I've always had a knack for messing around and improving them. I'm no photographer so most of the pics are going to be really shitty. I'm a ricer at heart so be warned.

Sushi’s BRZ Build
I bought this car back in late 2013 and I never really wanted to mod much but then it happened… the mod bug infected me.
I’ve gone through multiple exhaust setups and I tend to buy and get rid of stuff that goes on my car frequently.
So, this is how my girl sits at the moment.

I’m not going to post how my stock car sat so I’m going to post all the things that’s happened to my car so far…

After taking the car off the lot, I immediately started buying parts for it. I tried limiting it to 1 mod a month but that didn’t happen…

The first item to come in was the Beat Sonic Version 1 shark fin antenna. I put it on a bit crooked and I blame the alcohol that was involved.

I debadged the car about a week after ownership, I felt like the rear was too cluttered.

I got the OEM armrest along with some new fog light bulbs just to make my car a bit more enjoyable shortly after.

I also “had” a Godspeed front sway… now I emphasized “had” because it broke… I know there are a bunch of people running Godspeed products but I had trouble with mine. First… the holes where the endlinks bolt in are too small so I had to drill it out and broke two drill bits. I complained to Godspeed and their customer service department was rather… let me not get into it… Fast forward a year and two months. The damn sway bar ended up bending from light use. Once again, I tried their customer service and they basically told me to go eat a ****. I’M NEVER BUYING ANYTHING FROM GODSPEED AGAIN.

Anyways…

I picked up my Greddy EVO3 on 02/07/2014 and slapped it on two days later

Literally, on the same night after the install, I was backed up into… Here’s the carnage

This was fixed within 5 days and it was back to new again.

Let me tell you… the drone was UNBEARABLE! I had to do a 100 mile round trip due to work the day after the install and the drone was like OMFGWTFBBQ!!!11!1one
My sensitive little ears couldn’t handle it so I immediately took it off and went back to stock after only a mere five days. It was sold to someone from the SoCal Southbay86 group a week later for helluva price.

I then finally got my new vanity plate in.

Fast forward another few weeks.

I picked up the ARK DT-S exhaust, slapped it on, and was finally happy.

I decided to red out my OEM tail lights with Nightshades, I like the contrast between red and WRB but did a horrible job at it so I’m not going to post pictures of my #fail. I then went back to stock again... fml

I also installed my coilover system in this time frame, added some Cusco LCA, and cheap wheels because #brokeassmofo.
Also changed out my tranny and diff fluids.

Now one of the best mod I’ve ever done to my car are the RexSpeed mirrors. It almost eliminate my blind spots.

Installed my Kartboy SS kit.

At this point, I’ve had the ARK DTS for about 5 months and I told myself that it’s not “JDM tyte y0” enough and sold it to another local member from SoCal Southbay86 for an incredible price.
I ended up with a Greddy CS GTS Version 2 Limited… it’s a mouthful telling other enthusiasts what kind of exhaust setup is on my car.

O M G, THIS EXHAUST IS SO FRICK’N QUIET! WTH?!
So I ordered a Megan Front Pipe right away due to how quiet it was… it sounded quieter than a Q300 or SP Elite. Now before you start spewing shit for buying Megan products, let me start by saying that a front pipe is a pipe. Any pipe will work with the correct diameter you’re looking for. Hell, you can probably make one if you can weld for a few bucks. And the best part about this pipe was that I got it brand new for less than a bill.

I didn’t like the way the Beatsonic V1 antenna looked so I decided to get the V2. I decided to use the V1 as a splitter and mounted it to my front bumper.

I decided that the Kartboy Short Shifter wasn’t for me. Don’t get me wrong, I love that damn thing but I couldn’t handle the play and NVH that came with it. In fact, the play use to drive me bat shit crazy. I ended up selling it to some guy who lives near LA. I went back to stock for the time being.

I went to 86 Fest and I found a pair of tail lights I found at a vendor. I decided to be Asian and entered a bargaining war with the vendor and eventually dropped the tail lights well below what most places are currently pricing it for today. They’re full red out Valenti’s.
I couldn’t stand my current reverse bar setup so I decided to go with the red out Valenti reverse bar too. Like with many people on the forum, I decided to crack it open and rewire it so that the V stays on when the headlights are on and have the triangle stay off until brakes are pressed.

I got tired of the cheap OEM BRZ fog lamps and their lame PSX24W connector so I decided to upgrade it to real glass ones and H11 pigtails, added a 3000k HID kit and called it a day.

I ended up buying another stock shifter and had it modified by the owner of Garage Bomber. Now if you don’t know who or what Garage Bomber is… google Narita Dogfight and Garage Bomber. That’s uber JDM tyte y0 stuff.

OHHHH EEM GEEEEEE
This shifter rocks! The throw is short and it feels great. It feels like a S2000’s or RX-8’s transmission on steroid! Throw is great, there’s less leverage so the shifter is about 20% stiffer and it’s the perfect height. It feels super ergonomic especially with the arm rest… and it adds at least 50whp, probably 100whp when tuned.
After a little bit with the shifter, I decided to buy the TRD quickshift kit and this made the shifter 100% better.

Shortly after the shifter, I did something that a lot of people would probably shun on for being a street car.
I removed the airbags/steering wheel and added a quick release.
NRG suede steering wheel + NRG quick release + Works Bell hub.

Personally, I love it. The wheel is smaller and I feel like it’s easier on my nubbly fat arms. The suede makes it easier to grip too.
I didn’t like the quick release that I had so I opted for a different one, the NRG Quick Relase 3.0, modded it a bit and removed the wings and now it looks a lot better.

**Will add pics later**

It’s now April 2015 and I was doing some spring cleaning, clearing out junk from my closets and I saw a box for the AVO Turboworld Rear Sway Bar Mount Reinforcement Kit that I bought nearly two years ago. I totally forgot I bought this and so I decided to throw it on.

I got a little bored and impulse buy the Cusco Front Strut Bar with MC Brace and Cusco Rear Strut Bar Type OS

So… there’s been a couple of burglaries near my area so I became paranoid and got myself a dashcam. I got the BlackVue DR650GW-2CH + Power Magic Pro and let me tell you, this thing is awesome. It records front and rear and will record until the battery hits a certain voltage and it will turn off. It lasts about 15 hours before it turns itself off thanks to my Optima yellow top.

Whelp, that’s it for now. I’m picking up my JRSC kit from their headquarters this week and it’ll be on my car hopefully by next weekend. Stay tuned for pics of the install!
Spinning Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spinning Sushi For This Useful Post:
Joshwahhhs (07-13-2015), shifter907 (07-15-2015), shiumai (03-24-2016)
Old 07-13-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I would love to have my shifter customized like yours! The throws are nice with the TRD kit, but that height O_o Yours reminds me of a Nissan Z. Awesome build btw

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:30 AM   #3
Spinning Sushi
Legend

Garage
Picked up the Jackson Racing stuff today from their headquarters and tetris everything into my car.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:45 AM   #4
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinning Sushi View Post
So… there’s been a couple of burglaries near my area so I became paranoid and got myself a dashcam. I got the BlackVue DR650GW-2CH + Power Magic Pro and let me tell you, this thing is awesome. It records front and rear and will record until the battery hits a certain voltage and it will turn off. It lasts about 15 hours before it turns itself off thanks to my Optima yellow top.
Get a GoPro and hide it on back by brake light inside. Can't see it if you have semi tinted windows and the LED turned off. Records 2/3 of car if you place seats down. Dashcam only front. Get a kill switch or two. I get paranoid too. If its parked a week w/o use I put a dummy spark plug cable. Take good one with me inside.

Other than that, liking your build! Keep it up.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:53 AM   #5
Spinning Sushi
Legend

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
I would love to have my shifter customized like yours! The throws are nice with the TRD kit, but that height O_o Yours reminds me of a Nissan Z. Awesome build btw
Thanks! It makes driving a lot more enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
Get a GoPro and hide it on back by brake light inside. Can't see it if you have semi tinted windows and the LED turned off. Records 2/3 of car if you place seats down. Dashcam only front. Get a kill switch or two. I get paranoid too. If its parked a week w/o use I put a dummy spark plug cable. Take good one with me inside.

Other than that, liking your build! Keep it up.
Thanks man! I've hid it in such a way where you can't see the rear one but the front is clearly visible.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:18 AM   #6
Terran

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Nice. Looking forward to your build.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:09 AM   #7
Spinning Sushi
Legend

Garage
Jackson Racing SC install time!

It's good to be organized so I parts are all laid out for ease of installation.

Removed all the useless stuff out of the engine bay...

Installed FMIC.

Rotrex unit bolted on...

And... DONE!

I'm currently running on the CARB tune right now and it feels great!
Break-in period for the Rotrex unit is 65 miles according to the manual and I can't wait to start beating on it.

This SC kit is probably one of the easiest that I have ever installed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spinning Sushi For This Useful Post:
Crashdummy (08-12-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 02:20 AM   #8
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
the valentis look really great on the car!
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:13 AM   #9
Crashdummy
too much is never enough.

Drives: 2015 FR-S RS1.0, 2005 Corolla XRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Do you have any more pics or info on how he shortened the height of the stock shifter?

Nanako's Mod Thread
Crashdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:54 AM   #10
Slammedsteve

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-s,91 240sx missle
Lol I hope your joking about the v1 on the front bumper. Very clean wrb though! Looks beautiful. Let us know how the super charger feels after the break in. I'm looking into going the route aswell.
Slammedsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:24 AM   #11
Spinning Sushi
Legend

Garage
So... I totally forgot that I had a build thread for a while and I was busy with life so I couldn't update it.

Anyways...

September 11, 2015
Cooling was an issue and I noticed my temps sit pretty high (in the 210F-240F area in stop and go traffic) so I decided to beef up my cooling as well as an oil change.
To combat the heat issues, I got myself a Koyo Racing Radiator and a Jackson Racing Oil Cooler kit.

September 23, 2015
New steering wheel added.

November 11, 2015
I decided to go kitted.
I ended up buying a C-West front lip and a set of 5axis sideskirts and rear spats and got myself some bumper quick releases.

To be continued...
Old 02-22-2016, 05:37 AM   #12
Spinning Sushi
Legend

Garage
So, I eventually destroy my front lip and decided that it's not the route I wanted to go for a daily driver. Too much low!

I ripped off the kit, sold my sides and donated my front lip to someone locally for free.

I then ended up buying some new shoes for my DD.

I then got a little bored and decided to figure out how to get my cruise control back without using the stalk. I've found a bunch of people on this forum relocating the stalk but I think it looks tacky and ugly so I decided to figure out the circuitry behind it. I'm also doing this because I'm going flex fuel soon and I want to be able to switch between maps.

Here's my prototype...
This idea came to me while I was eating, lol

I figured out the ohmage and resistance on the cruise control stalk, made my own circuit board, and put it into my steering wheel column.

Oh... and it works! Yes... it's pretty dusty in my car...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s187aqlbJEw"]BRZ Cruise Control Relocation/Rewire - YouTube[/ame]

Anyways, more to come!

I'm waiting on my order of gauges to come in; oil pressure, oil temperature, and boost.

I'm also waiting on my custom gauge pod to come in as well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spinning Sushi For This Useful Post:
craigpitts7 (03-25-2016), D_Thissen (08-25-2016), olsonpg (02-22-2016), R2RO (04-25-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 06:39 AM   #13
slowest86

Drives: slow frs
Awesome build man! Keep up the great work.
slowest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:02 AM   #14
Spinning Sushi
Legend

Garage
Added some gauges on 03-12-2016. I'm still waiting for my custom gauge pod to come in but I went ahead and set up everything for the hell of it.

Here's a video of the opening ceremony of the gauges. Sorry for the low quality video, I swear it wasn't filmed by a potato.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2CPivUrL_Y"]Prosport Premium Series Gauges on 2013 BRZ Limited - YouTube[/ame]

Tags
brz, jackson racing, jrsc, spinning sushi, subaru