follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #15
Face_Plant

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
They're designed to crumble to absorb crash energy and save the people inside... watch crash test videos of cars from the 70's vs modern ones.
I am aware of why they do it. I feel like it's a double edged sword: sure it saves your life, but you lose a car you're sentimentally attached to in the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
If you want to take any parts off the car after it's been towed away you'll have to buy it back from the insurance company after they write it off.
I know. I assumed the adjuster isn't coming with a tow truck so I'd have a few hours to put a couple small items back to stock. I thought about what I was planning to do and it sounded highly illegal, so I'm going to put it back to stock before it's appraised instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
UGH! Yes, it can be fixed, but, I doubt the insurance company will opt to fix it -

humfrz
Well if that's the case, then they're going to buy me another one.
Face_Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #16
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,432 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Plant View Post
What about it makes you think it's totaled? The accident really wasn't as bad as the car makes it look. I was the only person injured, and all I got was a bruise on my neck/shoulder from the seatbelt. Cars nowadays seem to just disintegrate at the slightest impact...
Either the front or the back and you would be fine. Probably $5-6k on the back, $4-7k on the front (depends on other damage I can't see). Together, you are looking at $10k-ish at a decent shop. That's pretty damn close to what I think the limit is on a 2015 depending on miles, but the first impression is going to be totalled. People tend to stick with their first impression.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Face_Plant (07-02-2019), korhun (07-04-2019), soundman98 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 10:15 PM   #17
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,322 Times in 999 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
It's totaled, the lower left front core support is impacted, that's a difficult repair in itself. Plus the rear quarter...I've bought plenty of insurance auction totaled twins with less damage...not saying it couldn't be fixed and fixed properly. Most of the times insurance doesn't want to fix them.
Face_Plant (07-02-2019), soundman98 (07-04-2019), wparsons (07-04-2019), ZionsWrath (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 04:24 AM   #18
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I am aware of why they do it. I feel like it's a double edged sword: sure it saves your life, but you lose a car you're sentimentally attached to in the process

I know. I assumed the adjuster isn't coming with a tow truck so I'd have a few hours to put a couple small items back to stock. I thought about what I was planning to do and it sounded highly illegal, so I'm going to put it back to stock before it's appraised instead.

Well if that's the case, then they're going to buy me another one.
They will total it on the estimate and let you arrange for a tow at your place.

I went through this with Geico and I arranged the estimate for a few days in advance. I recommend you postpone your estimate and take off all the parts you want before they come. Once they make an estimate/total it the car is expected to be as it was looked at. Unless you want to try and work it out with the adjuster.

I was able to swap out wheels, brakes, and almost entire suspension before my adjuster came. And the wheels I put were badly bent with bald tires and I put the spare as one of the wheels. This was not a twin, but just telling you my experience. Also I was rear ended and there was not really any possibility of me being at fault, I'm not sure your situation.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:29 AM   #19
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Don't get attached to cars, use, abuse, replace.

Or

Cruise around, have fun, get to work, sell it for another one.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
korhun (07-04-2019), soundman98 (07-04-2019), Will BRZ (07-04-2019), wparsons (07-04-2019), ZionsWrath (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #20
Face_Plant

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
They will total it on the estimate and let you arrange for a tow at your place.

I went through this with Geico and I arranged the estimate for a few days in advance. I recommend you postpone your estimate and take off all the parts you want before they come. Once they make an estimate/total it the car is expected to be as it was looked at. Unless you want to try and work it out with the adjuster.

I was able to swap out wheels, brakes, and almost entire suspension before my adjuster came. And the wheels I put were badly bent with bald tires and I put the spare as one of the wheels. This was not a twin, but just telling you my experience. Also I was rear ended and there was not really any possibility of me being at fault, I'm not sure your situation.
I managed to save a good 80% of my aftermarket parts yesterday. I can't salvage my suspension and various interior/exterior pieces l because I can't find the stock parts anywhere in my garage, or they got ruined in the accident. I guess it's better to get some than none...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Don't get attached to cars, use, abuse, replace.

Or

Cruise around, have fun, get to work, sell it for another one.
I find it impossible not to get attached to my cars. I spend shit tons of money on them, they provide me with lots of fun and enjoyment, help me pick up chicks, get me where I need to go, etc, so when they're dead it's like losing a member of the family.

The thing that makes this so devastating is I've only had the car for about 18 months. For at least half of that time I couldn't even drive it for medical reasons. I get bored with cars after 3-4 years, but with my FR-S I was just getting started...

Last edited by Face_Plant; 07-03-2019 at 01:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Face_Plant For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-04-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 04:58 PM   #21
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
You have totally avoided telling us what happened
wparsons (07-04-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 05:51 PM   #22
Face_Plant

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You have totally avoided telling us what happened
No one asked. They're building new houses along a windy road in my area and as a result the road is covered in dirt/sand/gravel from the trucks and other construction equipment. One of the entrances to their construction site is right at the entrance to a sharp turn. While entering this turn the rear lost traction and stepped out. I was able to catch it and it seemed like we were going to be alright.

I'm not sure what I did wrong, but after straightening the car out the rear stepped out even worse on the opposite side. I tried to correct it, but the rear had too much momentum and the car began to spin. First the front hit the embankment, then as the car continued spinning the driver's side rear hit the embankment. After doing a full 360 we rolled into a ditch.

I wasn't sure what to do since the only property damaged was my own, no one was injured, and we weren't blocking the road. Luckily my friend was kind enough to let me use his AAA to request a tow truck. After waiting about an hour and a half the truck still hadn't arrived, so I called AAA for an update. They said the truck would be at least another hour and a half to 2 hours, so they signed us up for an unattended tow and said it was okay to leave.

About an hour later the cops found the car and showed up at my house. They said after an accident you're required to call the cops no matter what and threatened to arrest me for leaving the scene of an accident. Calling the police was probably the last thing on my mind at the time and everyone I've spoken to had no idea you're required to call the police. I told them what AAA said and luckily they were reasonable enough to only write me a warning. I still have to go to court over the whole ordeal since technically I committed a crime, but the cop is confident that I'll get off.

Last edited by Face_Plant; 07-04-2019 at 11:34 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Face_Plant For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-03-2019), soundman98 (07-04-2019), Tcoat (07-03-2019), wparsons (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #23
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
So you stepped on the gas after the car straightened back out?

If so, i suspect adrenaline and the pendulum effect were your undoing. In your mind, the car had straightened back out, but with the adrenaline pumping, it had only been fractions of a second, and the car hadn't actually settled, you just felt the rear regain traction, so reapplying the gas allowed the rear to go the other way.
Face_Plant (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #24
Face_Plant

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
So you stepped on the gas after the car straightened back out?

If so, i suspect adrenaline and the pendulum effect were your undoing. In your mind, the car had straightened back out, but with the adrenaline pumping, it had only been fractions of a second, and the car hadn't actually settled, you just felt the rear regain traction, so reapplying the gas allowed the rear to go the other way.
I'm not entirely sure. It all happened so fast, but it's very likely that I tried to accelerate again after losing traction the first time. This was my first rear wheel drive car and I'd been driving it for less than a year, so I wasn't a master at it yet.

Maybe for my next car I'll get an Evo. That way I have an excuse to hate my friend with a WRX and I'll have AWD.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:22 PM   #25
soundman98

I don't like the evo based purely on how mitsu handled the aging of the platform...
Old 07-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #26
Face_Plant

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
I don't like the evo based purely on how mitsu handled the aging of the platform...
I know almost nothing about the Evo. How did they handle it? Discontinue it? I don't actually plan to buy one, I was being sarcastic. Hopefully I can find another good deal on an FR-S so I can reuse the $2,000+ worth of parts I removed yesterday.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #27
soundman98

The last new model evo was introduced in 2007, and marketed nearly unchanged until 2016 when it was discontinued. Basically what they did with the eclipse, except over a longer time period.
Face_Plant (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 11:25 PM   #28
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
No one asked. They're building new houses along.....but the cop is confident that I'll get off.
After that story it should be clear that our gov't just needs to make money off of us so badly that if they could, they would make a pooping tax/fine and get some cash from us for taking a dump.
Your car was damaged, nobody else's property was damaged and yet they still want you to call them so they can come out, waste your time and theirs to hand out some tickets. Pathetic.

I also don't see in the law where it specifies you are required to call them in your particular situation: https://law.justia.com/codes/marylan...tle-20/20-107/
If there was another driver or property damage to deal with then it would make sense but it sounds like they just want to catch an impaired driver fleeing the scene.

If they start pushing and you actually do get cited in court and/or fined then call an attorney and give them hell right back:
https://www.marylandinjurylawyer.net...accidents.html
To me, it sounds like the road wasn't safe due to the construction(a sign up doesn't let the construction company off the hook for their negligence of debris on the road) and if somebody is looking
to make your life even more difficult on top of having the car wrecked maybe you need to act accordingly by giving it right back.

The more I think about it and get mad for you, maybe just call an attorney no matter what and soon to get their opinion of the situation.

Last edited by Impureclient; 07-04-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
Face_Plant (07-04-2019)