follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2016, 03:07 AM   #617
An Amish Woman

Drives: '15 WRB Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
oft comes with tunes for uel catless header and 91 or 93 fuel and e85 fuel.

grimspeed intake should not need any tune adjustments one of the few that dont.

cel is already disabled in the stage2 tunes for uel headers

the oft flashes tune to ecu after that you dont need to have it plugged in unless you want to log or use guage functions. tune is permanent till you reflash a new tune or your stock tune back to ecu, removing battery connection does not alter tune just resets ecu.
Thanks for the clear up!

'15 WRB BRZ Limited (Summer)
'93 Ford Festiva L (Work Horse / Race Project)
An Amish Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #618
STV3
Señor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Anyone have issues with passing an OBDII state inspection with the OFT? My mechanic tried numerous times with both the Stage 2 tune flashed and with the stock rom flashed and my car would not send the diagnostic info to the machine for me to pass inspection.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:40 PM   #619
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
Anyone have issues with passing an OBDII state inspection with the OFT? My mechanic tried numerous times with both the Stage 2 tune flashed and with the stock rom flashed and my car would not send the diagnostic info to the machine for me to pass inspection.
Oh man.. that's not good. Have you tried running the stock rom for a bit before hooking it back up to the machine?

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #620
Felix7007

Drives: Scion FR-S Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

You have to drive a while or key on so many times for it to re-configure the ready checks
Felix7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:55 PM   #621
STV3
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Oh man.. that's not good. Have you tried running the stock rom for a bit before hooking it back up to the machine?
Long enough to make sure that I only had one monitor in not ready status, because that is passing in NY. If I drive any long the CEL comes on due to my FT86SP catted UEL

When I got my car inspected last year it was at the same place with the same tune. It did take a couple of tries to get the machine to read my car but it eventually worked. Unfortunately it is not the same story this year.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #622
STV3
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix7007 View Post
You have to drive a while or key on so many times for it to re-configure the ready checks
Yeah, I monitored that via the torque app and drove to the point that I only had one reading not ready but no CEL from my header yet.

One not ready is ok and will pass in NY but the inspection machine was simply not receiving the diagnostic info from my car.

I have read of other people with the same issue getting inspected with an OFT but have found no solution yet.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #623
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah, I monitored that via the torque app and drove to the point that I only had one reading not ready but no CEL from my header yet.

One not ready is ok and will pass in NY but the inspection machine was simply not receiving the diagnostic info from my car.

I have read of other people with the same issue getting inspected with an OFT but have found no solution yet.
A tune using oft does not in any way effect the abbility of the diagnostic equipment to connect to and read obd info from the car. Even systems like ecutek or brzedit which "lock" ecu only lock the ability to reflash or read the actual tune they dont effect the ability to read diagnostic info or reset cel or the readyness monitors. If they cannot connect its likely the obd port in your car has loose pins and thier not getting a solid connection happened on a lot of cars 2013 and earlier
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
solidONE (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #624
StegaDragon

Drives: 13 Sc10n FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Never mind I'm thinking of something else

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
StegaDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #625
cdq85

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
A tune using oft does not in any way effect the abbility of the diagnostic equipment to connect to and read obd info from the car. Even systems like ecutek or brzedit which "lock" ecu only lock the ability to reflash or read the actual tune they dont effect the ability to read diagnostic info or reset cel or the readyness monitors. If they cannot connect its likely the obd port in your car has loose pins and thier not getting a solid connection happened on a lot of cars 2013 and earlier
i'm actually having the same exact issue right now. i recently flashed over to an e85 tune last week and my inspection is up now. mechanic said he could not get connected to my ecm via OBD. i told him the tune on it should not interfere. he tried one more time but still didnt' connect. any suggestions to make it work? it's a 13MY if that makes any difference.
cdq85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #626
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdq85 View Post
i'm actually having the same exact issue right now. i recently flashed over to an e85 tune last week and my inspection is up now. mechanic said he could not get connected to my ecm via OBD. i told him the tune on it should not interfere. he tried one more time but still didnt' connect. any suggestions to make it work? it's a 13MY if that makes any difference.
Its likely its his cable, the oft has a good quality plug with thick pins, a lot of obd cables have thiner pins and dont make good contact.

if your oft can get daignostics from car then the other guys should as well, its likely the socket in your car has loose connectors, maybe try a short obd extension, or forwards\backwards pressure on plug will often get it to connect .

theirs nothing in the tune or ecu firmware that should stop it.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:50 PM   #627
StegaDragon

Drives: 13 Sc10n FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've flashed pretty much every tune and can get them to connect to techstreem it's probably the emissions guys equipment, hint you probably shouldn't tell them about your tune unless you know them really good

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
StegaDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StegaDragon For This Useful Post:
steve99 (08-04-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 09:21 AM   #628
STV3
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdq85 View Post
Quote:
Its likely its his cable, the oft has a good quality plug with thick pins, a lot of obd cables have thiner pins and dont make good contact.

if your oft can get daignostics from car then the other guys should as well, its likely the socket in your car has loose connectors, maybe try a short obd extension, or forwards\backwards pressure on plug will often get it to connect .

theirs nothing in the tune or ecu firmware that should stop it.
Yea I think my next step is to try an OBD extension cable. Even my OFT doesn't work every time on the dot when flashing tunes. I did read about a nice hand full of people having issues with the OBDII port on the 2013's and having to buy a new harness to re pin it.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #629
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Yea I think my next step is to try an OBD extension cable. Even my OFT doesn't work every time on the dot when flashing tunes. I did read about a nice hand full of people having issues with the OBDII port on the 2013's and having to buy a new harness to re pin it.

you could just buy new obd socket and do it, or most auto electricians should be able to replace obd socket for you
Old 08-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #630
STV3
Señor Member

Quote:
you could just buy new obd socket and do it, or most auto electricians should be able to replace obd socket for you
Well I got an extension cable for $10 on Amazon. Trying to avoid the headache of re pinning it. If the extender doesn't work then I guess i'll just have to get under there and do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to STV3 For This Useful Post:
steve99 (08-06-2016)