follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2016, 10:48 AM   #99
ssyed

Drives: 2013 Frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1. Greddy Evo exhaust - insane amount of drone.
2. Cheap stretched tires.
ssyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #100
PollosHermanos

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited 6SP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This thread has got to be one of my favorites of late.

Interesting to see what "must have" mods many consider useless. Never thought I'd see an OFT listed here for example.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
1990 Laser RS - Lights go up, lights go down ||1992 MX-6 Coupe - Hah ... no || 2001 Integra GSR - Almost rice. Risotto || 2003 IS300 - A nice car but no fun. || 2011 Stage I GTI - Lots of fun. Would buy another

2014 BRZ - That BRZ. So hot right now.
PollosHermanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:42 AM   #101
everythingsablur

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S RS 2.0
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollosHermanos View Post

Interesting to see what "must have" mods many consider useless. Never thought I'd see an OFT listed here for example.
Agreed. I still see more praise/love for the OFT than detractors. Is Ecutek and a custom tune better? Almost undoubtedly so, but for many that's just either not feasible or not desired for a variety of reasons (cost, lockout, lack of access to a dyno/tuner, etc.) At least with OFT you can try it out, and if you don't like it, it's fairly easily resold at a minimal loss.

Mine should be arriving any day now, so I'll see which camp I fall into. Stage 1 until the spring, then consider a header and Stage 2.

My worst mod so far: custom license plate. Don't get me wrong, I like the plate, but I also think it's a little silly/ricer, and probably was money i should have spent elsewhere. Oh well, live and learn.
2016 Scion FR-S Release Series 2.0 #170/1000
everythingsablur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:50 AM   #102
Bowen
Powered by Crickets

Drives: 14' SWP MT Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
Agreed. I still see more praise/love for the OFT than detractors. Is Ecutek and a custom tune better? Almost undoubtedly so, but for many that's just either not feasible or not desired for a variety of reasons (cost, lockout, lack of access to a dyno/tuner, etc.) At least with OFT you can try it out, and if you don't like it, it's fairly easily resold at a minimal loss.

Mine should be arriving any day now, so I'll see which camp I fall into. Stage 1 until the spring, then consider a header and Stage 2.

My worst mod so far: custom license plate. Don't get me wrong, I like the plate, but I also think it's a little silly/ricer, and probably was money i should have spent elsewhere. Oh well, live and learn.
Ecutek tunes are gonna be more accurate since they're built for you car and its mods. i.e intake and different exhaust setups.

OFT tunes are basic presets as long as you have an EL or URL header. As well as the fuel type. Now I'm pretty sure you can hit up Shiv and for a couple extra bucks he can make a custom tune after data logging.

Also something to note is that OFT's currently have no flex fuel tuning available. Which means your only option is to run an E-Tune from Delicious or Moto East.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #103
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

That's the main reason I started this thread. I like to learn from other people what they hated. And also I really despise the OFT but to be fair I never tried Stage 2 or E85 so take that with a grain of salt.

Also It was up for sale by me after 1 day of use and 80 miles driven. The guy who got it off of me practically got a new one.

Last edited by SUB-FT86; 08-24-2016 at 12:27 PM.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #104
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:

Stage 1 will disappoint you but I'm anxious to hear your thoughts when you get it.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:30 PM   #105
PollosHermanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
Stage 1 will disappoint you but I'm anxious to hear your thoughts when you get it.
Stage I makes it a smoother ride but will not blow your hair back in any way. Stage II I found much better and really does knock out the torque dip pretty well. Never tried e85.

Never dyno'd before or after so I don't have numbers to back it up. Butt dyno'd was triggered so my guess is about 10hp maybe?

1990 Laser RS - Lights go up, lights go down ||1992 MX-6 Coupe - Hah ... no || 2001 Integra GSR - Almost rice. Risotto || 2003 IS300 - A nice car but no fun. || 2011 Stage I GTI - Lots of fun. Would buy another

Old 08-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #106
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:
Stage I makes it a smoother ride but will not blow your hair back in any way. Stage II I found much better and really does knock out the torque dip pretty well. Never tried e85.

Never dyno'd before or after so I don't have numbers to back it up. Butt dyno'd was triggered so my guess is about 10hp maybe?

The funny thing is my car was smoother prior to it with just a Magnaflow CB and a dry HFF.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:42 PM   #107
PollosHermanos

Quote:
The funny thing is my car was smoother prior to it with just a Magnaflow CB and a dry HFF.
That's pretty funny cause I had the exact same set-up!

Where are you located? Wonder if temps/humidity had much to do with it.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #108
KendallH

Drives: 2013 FR-S Base, 1997 Jeep Wrangler
OFT Stg2 E85 is very nice IMO. Been running that tune for a few weeks now and I would say its not a huge bump in power but the car feels as it should have from the factory.
KendallH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #109
ansibe

Drives: White BRZ
Worst mod: 18" wheels and sticky(er) tires.

Wheels were relatively light Enkeis, with Hankook Evo II tires. I really liked the look, and the grip was better than OE, but ...

I track my car, and it was noticeably slower with the 18s. The stock motor just doesn't have the power to overcome the extra rotational inertia. The biggest problem, though, was the way the tires affected the balance. My BRZ understeered on OE rubber, and it got quite a bit worse with the Hankooks. I found out (after the fact) that the rear gains camber with body roll faster than the front. Sticky tires = more roll = more grip at the back = more understeer.

So for about a $1000, I had a slower car that was less fun to drive. Fail.
ansibe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ansibe For This Useful Post:
Bowen (08-24-2016), funwheeldrive (08-24-2016), MasonL1997 (08-24-2016), Takumi788 (08-24-2016), Teseo (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 01:02 PM   #110
everythingsablur

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S RS 2.0
Garage
Quote:
I fully expect to not really see too much difference with Stage 1 based on what I've read.

The key to avoiding disappointment in anything is to understand and accept what you're getting into and adjusting expectations accordingly.
  • Bought OFT used, so at least I'm already saving some money, and can flip for little appreciable loss if necessary (will feel much less "burned" if I don't like it)
  • Expect power gains to be at best very minimal, if even perceivable. Can't change the laws of physics with software alone.
  • Hoping for just a little smoothness improvement. Lower idle, smoother throttle response, maybe slightly better fuel economy, etc.
  • Access to data logging and other tools to simply learn more about the car/cars in general
  • Access to play with some other configurable ECU tweaks like launch control
  • Stepping stone to trying Stage 2 with minimal mods before shelling out for a custom tune (and probably Ecutek at that point)

I see it as a dip your toe in tuning tool/gateway. It isn't the cheapest thing out there, but the risk is fairly low. If you bought new for $500 USD, and resold for $400, you're out $100. If you bought an Ecutek license, you're just out $350+ forever, plus the cost of the tune. I'm not married to the car enough yet to make that investment, but at least with the OFT, I always could in the future.
2016 Scion FR-S Release Series 2.0 #170/1000
everythingsablur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #111
irod1021

Drives: 2013 Red FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
my front lip, wasn't a bad mod I just lost it on the freeway on a bump going a 100+ mph

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
irod1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irod1021 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 01:14 PM   #112
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I fully expect to not really see too much difference with Stage 1 based on what I've read.

The key to avoiding disappointment in anything is to understand and accept what you're getting into and adjusting expectations accordingly.
  • Bought OFT used, so at least I'm already saving some money, and can flip for little appreciable loss if necessary (will feel much less "burned" if I don't like it)
  • Expect power gains to be at best very minimal, if even perceivable. Can't change the laws of physics with software alone.
  • Hoping for just a little smoothness improvement. Lower idle, smoother throttle response, maybe slightly better fuel economy, etc.
  • Access to data logging and other tools to simply learn more about the car/cars in general
  • Access to play with some other configurable ECU tweaks like launch control
  • Stepping stone to trying Stage 2 with minimal mods before shelling out for a custom tune (and probably Ecutek at that point)

I see it as a dip your toe in tuning tool/gateway. It isn't the cheapest thing out there, but the risk is fairly low. If you bought new for $500 USD, and resold for $400, you're out $100. If you bought an Ecutek license, you're just out $350+ forever, plus the cost of the tune. I'm not married to the car enough yet to make that investment, but at least with the OFT, I always could in the future.
Excellent outlook there. Anyone expecting noticeable power out of stage1 will be disappointed as you said.

The OFT stage1 however will give you :
Better idle
Better throttle response
Higher, soft redline
Slightly better torque dip
Launch control / no lift shift
Noticeably better mileage

-Josh
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
everythingsablur (08-24-2016)