follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #309
STJ

Drives: Skyline R33 GTR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Uh what?

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...urbo-pics.html

herp derp

The 2GR is an interesting creature IMO. 83mm stroke is really really short for a motor that goes into Siennas. I wonder what would happen if you built it to go to 9000rpm. That's kind of my dream car right now, an Evora or Exige S (with supercharger removed) and built NA 2GR.
I know about that but i was talking about the 2GR-FSE that goes into RWD Toyota's. The FSE has never been turbocharged by anyone.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #310
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxersixxerman View Post

Found this on Facebook
And so it begins...
Old 01-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #311
RL_BRZ

Drives: BRZ WRB Pearl Limited Manual
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
I found this rendering w/o the nose.

wow... I like this... :-)
Old 01-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #312
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
I found this rendering w/o the nose.

This Rendering need some more touches up. The Huge Rear Vents need to be gone, or just as small as the Last Gen MKIV. Because, you can not open the door, and make that Vents practical and production friendly at all

Thanks for the pix though
Old 01-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #313
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
And so it begins...
dude, it was only a matter of time
Ashybone (09-09-2014), ZionsWrath (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #314
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Not easy to understand. Is the FT-1 the Supra? Looks like yes. Will it be produced? Don't know. Will the BMW Z3/Z4/Z5/"whatever-its-name" be developed with Toyota? Looks like yes. What will be the Toyota equivalent? Something between GT86 [FT-86] (F4 2.0 NA) and Supra [FT-1] (I6 3.0 FI)? Looks like Nissan 370 Rival and Porsche Cayman/Boxster rival powered by I4 2.0 FI + Hybrid II. This makes sense afterall, Porsche Cayman/Boxster GTS will come with 3.4l F6 making 340 PS, and later F6 will be replaced by 2.4 F4 Turbo.

If the BMW Z4 will not have any I6 anymore, but I4 including the I4 M engine that the M2 is to get, this would rather be a Z3. So where is the Z5? Will it come later, before or never? And what about MR2?

My guess:
Toyota GT86 (F4 2.0 NA)
Toyota Mirai (I4 2.0 FI + Hybrid)
Toyota Supra (I6 3.0 FI - not BMW S55 engine)
Lexus RC-F (V8 5.0 NA)
Lexus SC (V8 5.0 NA + Hybrid)
Lexus LFA II (V10 5.3 + Hybrid)

Those are many sportscars for one global company.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:51 AM   #315
M.I.A

Drives: N/a
Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1390110623241.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  77.7 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1390110661531.jpg
Views: 2176
Size:  65.6 KB

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2014, 12:51 AM   #316
M.I.A

Drives: N/a
Sorry for the doubles

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2014, 01:17 AM   #317
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kelbyat07 For This Useful Post:
RRnold (01-21-2014), vh_supra26 (01-19-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 02:39 AM   #318
FRSFrank

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post
This Rendering need some more touches up. The Huge Rear Vents need to be gone, or just as small as the Last Gen MKIV. Because, you can not open the door, and make that Vents practical and production friendly at all

Thanks for the pix though
I do believe that the door on the prototype has part of the vent built into it. If you look at pictures of the actual FT-1, with the door open, you will see the bottom of the door curve upwards.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #319
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How Toyota raced the clock to create the FT-1 sports car

Editor's note: The inner sanctum of an automaker's design studio is as classified as a top-secret government spy shop. Even many top executives aren't allowed inside, much less civilians or the media. But after months of negotiations, Toyota Motor Corp. allowed Automotive News inside its Calty design studio in Newport Beach, Calif., to track the development of the FT-1 concept car. This is the story.

Kevin Hunter knew he had a winner.

Presenting a full-sized model of Toyota's next-generation sports car concept to a roomful of executives in Nagoya was going to be a pressure-packed performance. What if Toyota Motor CEO Akio Toyoda didn't like the car? What if the Japanese design chief wanted big changes made? Would there be enough time to make changes before the public unveiling at the Detroit auto show in January, less than nine months away?

But Hunter, the quiet, reserved president of Toyota's Calty Design Research studio in Newport Beach, Calif., had an ace up his sleeve.

In addition to the in-your-face styling of the FT-1 concept he was presenting, the Calty team had brought along a video-gaming pod with a Gran Turismo simulation of the FT-1 installed.

After giving the gleaming red sports car an approving walk-around, Toyoda climbed into the gaming pod, tearing off virtual hot laps at Toyota's home track, Fuji Speedway.

After a few minutes, he climbed out of the pod, beaming that the FT-1 was faster than his real-world lap time in an actual racecar.

Hunter breathed easier. He knew the concept was a go.

Interior design chief William Chergosky discusses the “slingshot” approach to the driver’s seat.

A spiritual pace car

The process of getting a sports car concept approved in the first place had started a year earlier, and with no less uncertainty.

Ever since the recession showed signs of easing, the Calty studio had wanted to build an outrageous high-performance concept car.

So when Hunter attended a meeting of Toyota's top management in March 2012 for a design briefing, he gently borrowed Akio Toyoda's recent edict: No more boring cars. Toyoda had publicly expressed worry that the automaker had become saddled with a reputation for conservative vehicles that evoked as much emotion as a dishwasher.

The Toyota brand sells millions of Corollas, Camrys and compact pickups worldwide. But it had no spiritual pace car in its current portfolio. As he entered the management meeting room for his original pitch, Hunter thought to himself: What could be less boring than bringing back a sports car for the Toyota brand?

Hunter's idea was for a concept car that could generate excitement at an upcoming auto show. This would not be a flight of fancy, but a halo car that would tickle show-goers with the idea that Toyota might actually produce such a vehicle.

As he gave his presentation, Hunter watched for reactions. Toyoda seemed excited, as did Mitsuhisa Kato, Toyota's new executive r&d chief, as well as Hunter's boss, global design czar Tokuo Fukuichi.

After Hunter left the room, the gathered executives eyed their CEO, the scion of Toyota's founding family. Fukuichi asked Toyoda and Kato if they thought the concept was worthy of a green light.

Akio looked at his team, and said, "Let's do it."

These early renderings of the interior and exterior of the Toyota FT-1 closely resemble the final car that the automaker unveiled in Detroit last week.

Generation gap

It may seem counterintuitive, but designing a sports car is the toughest challenge a stylist can undertake. On one hand, it's what every designer has dreamed of since doodling during high school algebra. No one aspires to sketch a minivan.

But the pressure to create such a brand statement is unreal. Just ask the guy in charge of updating the Porsche 911 or Ford Mustang. The result must be gorgeous and awe-inspiring, of course. But it also must conform to the company's design ethos without breaking myriad governmental regulations.

One false line — perhaps the hood must be raised by an inch to comply with European pedestrian-crash safety laws — and the car's aura can be compromised.

Over a lightning-fast 18 months, Calty's caffeine-

fueled designers, stylists, modelers and cultural ethnographers would work overtime to transform a clean-sheet idea into a prospective scene-stealer at the Detroit auto show.

Calty chief designer Alex Shen's portfolio already included a couple of Toyota sporty cars, including the

FT-HS concept and Scion FR-S production coupe. But after 20 years at Calty, this was something different: a once-in-a-career opportunity, as Shen calls it, to make "a kick-ass sports car."

When the 46-year-old Shen assembled his team in spring 2012 to start formulating ideas that would evolve into the concept, one car's name kept popping up: Supra.

It's one of the few vehicles in the Toyota lineup that actually has a sporty heritage in the United States. But the last Supra twin-turbocharged sports car was sold here in 2002.

"The perception in Japan was that the Supra was a good sports car," Hunter said. "In Japan, Supra is just another product in a long series of good products. They were unaware of its cult status here.

"But our designers, when we're out socially, when people ask us what we do, the very first question they all seem to ask is, 'When is the next Supra coming?'"

Calty's designers asked themselves how the Supra would have evolved had Toyota kept redesigning it. By 2014, two more generations of the vehicle would have passed through customer hands and another redesign would be arriving this year. What would it look like by now?

Turns out Toyota HQ didn't want Calty to be completely hamstrung by focusing its design on Supra-think. After several rounds of transoceanic meetings, it was decided to not attach the Supra name to the concept. Not only did that ease the pressure of expectations, but it gave the design team more freedom of expression.

They didn't know what to call the concept; it just wouldn't be "Supra." Eventually, the car would be known as FT-1, as in "Future Toyota," with "1" representing "the ultimate."

"You don't want to overthink it. It's not superintellectual. You want to appeal to the inner 12-year-old. If you don't feel it, throw it out."
William Chergosky
Calty Design Research

"The FT-1 concept pays homage to Toyota's entire sports car heritage, including the Celica, Supra and, before that, the iconic 2000GT," Fukuichi said in an e-mail interview. "The FT-1 is meant to be an extension of this historic lineage, but not a replacement or reinvention."

Before putting pencil to paper, the Calty team went to the Las Vegas Motor Speedway in June 2012 and drove the track's amassed collection of European exotic cars. The intent was not to pillage other companies' collective ideas but to see how other automakers approached the idea of a modern sports car and to explore how Toyota's styling language fit into that realm.

"It was more than a field trip," said William Chergosky, Calty's interior chief designer, a grin escaping his attempt at a poker face.

The group came back with so many opinions that every designer in the studio was allowed to sketch his or her own ideas for the concept.

"Everyone had their own vision of a Toyota sports car," Shen said. "We went around the room to get ideas, and there were obvious words like 'sexy.' But what kind of sexy should it be? There could be nothing trite or contrived about it. It had to attract and perform."

Through the summer of 2012, a circular wall of sketches was created in the studio, where designers slapped their various inspirations for the vehicle's form.

"It's something you feel and see that influences the way it looks," Chergosky said. "But it also comes back to the obvious: You don't want to overthink it. It's not superintellectual. You want to appeal to the inner 12-year-old. If you don't feel it, throw it out."

At Calty, stylists generally are directed not to become locked into their first sketches but to let new ideas flow — especially if they're working on the brand's halo car. Doodling is encouraged. Much of the best work comes from designers on their lunch hour, taking a break from other assigned projects.

For three months, Calty's designers drew their interpretations, with Hunter's caveat of "so long as the car looks like it came from Toyota, not from Ferrari or Chevy or Dodge."

"Even though we were designing the car in America, there was some exoticness to being true to Japan's culture and who we are as a company," Hunter said. "Everyone has their own identity. It's hard to wedge a new car into a place where people don't say, 'Ooh, it looks like a Corvette,' or whatever. We didn't want to go off in a direction where we missed our target. We didn't want to rely on fashion."

Calty President Kevin Hunter told his design team, “Convince me that it’s cool.”

'The perfect one'

Typically, when designing a concept car, Toyota engineers give Calty a vehicle's dimensions, along with instructions on packaging and the "hard points" where chassis and body structure should meet. But in this case the studio did its own proportioning work for the wheelbase, width and overhangs, Shen said.

Andrew MacLachlan, the FT-1's concept planner, noted that while Calty was given a clean slate, the team also knew that Fukuichi and Toyota's top executives in Japan had to approve the work. Calty enlisted Toyota Racing Development engineers to ensure that the car's aerodynamics were legit.

Added Shen: "This was to be a design-focused vehicle, not engineering-based. This was what designers' ideal proportions of what a sports car should be."

A key decision early on: where to place the engine?

Although the 2000GT of the late '60s, the first-generation Celica and all Supras have had a front-engine/rear-wheel-drive setup, the MR-2 was mid-engined. Many Ferraris and Lamborghinis have engines located behind the driver, and the 911 famously parked the engine behind the rear axle. When it comes to sports cars, there is no simple right answer.

"We spent a lot of time deciding on stance and proportion, whether it should be front-engine/rear-drive or a midship-mounted engine," Shen said.

"Everyone had their own vision of what makes a Toyota sports car."

The consensus was to have a front-mounted engine, located mostly behind the front axle.

Because designers have egos, "Every designer thought their [sketch] was the perfect one, so we had to manage that," Shen said with a laugh.

The exterior design emerged from there. No single sketch won the contest; an amalgam of ideas was mashed into one final design sketch.

It was the fall of 2012. With little more than a year before the car would be unveiled, it was time to start making small clay models.

Meanwhile, the interior design team had started working on packaging. The passenger compartment was being designed "like a slingshot, where the driver is the projectile," Chergosky said.

Although a concept car gives license to be dramatic, Chergosky's team wanted elements that could be passable in a production car.

The cabin headliner couldn't look "like a big piece of dryer lint." The engine brace that protrudes into the cabin was designed "to take something mundane and make it amazing." The head-up display looked pulled from a fighter jet.

"We wanted to fall in love with each element," said the 43-year-old Chergosky. "We went the extra mile."

As the interior and exterior began taking shape, Hunter took a rather laissez-faire approach to his marching orders, distilling it down to "convince me that it's cool." This from a 53-year-old boss who has a Captain Picard Star Trek uniform hanging in the corner of his office and a Batman Pez dispenser on his desk.

Birth of a concept
  • March 2012: Calty makes pitch to Toyota top management
  • May 2012: Toyota gives formal go-ahead for Calty to begin work
  • June 2012: Calty team takes field trip to Las Vegas Speedway
  • June 2012: Decision made for car to be front-engine/rear-drive layout
  • July-September 2012: Exterior sketch proposals
  • July-October 2012: Packaging drawings and renderings
  • September-November 2012: 15% and 40% scale clay models
  • December 2012-February 2013: Full-sized milled “hard” model
  • March 2013: Toyota top management OKs concept
  • May-June 2013: Calty “nip-and-tuck” of full-sized hard model
  • Summer 2013: Concept name decided: FT-1
  • July-November 2013: Fabrication of show car
  • January 2014: Unveiling of car at Detroit auto show

Calty senior creative designer Bob Mochizuki sculpts a 15 percent scale clay model of the FT-1.

Scaling up

From the collection of final sketches, Calty modelers took the two months before Christmas 2012 to sculpt six 15 percent scale models and mill four interior bucks. There still was no clear winner.

"We were looking at ideas for potential," Shen said. "There was a lot of, 'I'm not sure about this.' There were a lot of discussions. It was kind of like therapy, with who saw what, and what felt better. It was an emotionally driven design process."

Rather than pick a winner, intriguing elements were taken from each clay model, and a series of 40 percent scale models attempted to harmonize those elements into one final design. Shen calls the process "functional sculpting," which is meant to be "emotional … juicy with purpose, but not frivolous."

One problem: What looked great at 40 percent didn't look so great when blown up to a full-scale packaging study. It did not feel right, Hunter said. The wheelbase was too long. The car looked "a little fluffy," like it had too much mass.

Time was running out. The new year was starting, and the time-consuming milling of a full-sized "hard" model had to begin. The sign-off meeting with top management in Japan was barely two months away.

Final sign-off

Within that two months, the wheelbase was shortened, the hood line and the rear three-quarter view were thinned to have more snap in the center line. The exhaust pipes were beefed up, and the taillights were given more zip. The rear deck received more aerodynamic treatment. And a huge rear spoiler sprouted from the trunk lid.

Still smelling of a mixture of composite materials, sweat and coffee, the full-sized model was crated up and loaded into the cargo hold of a jet bound for Japan, along with the Gran Turismo gaming pod that had been specially programmed by Polyphony Digital.

After Akio Toyoda's video-gaming exploits sealed the deal, approval was granted to build a show car — one able to propel itself onto a stage and be subject to scrutiny from the world's automotive executives and media.

Like most design studios, Calty doesn't have the machinery to build a self-propelling prototype from scratch. Instead, Calty called upon fabricator Five Axis, located just up Interstate 405, which had created a lengthy portfolio of Toyota, Lexus and Scion auto show concept vehicles.

"We just dropped off the data," Hunter says. He's kidding.

Transforming software coding into a milled model, and then into a working, breathing machine has hundreds of ways to go wrong. Even though all the numbers might appear to add up in the Alias design software, the scissor-hinged doors might not open properly when the car is shown to the world's automotive press. Or the interior might not align quite right with the exterior. A solenoid might not work, and the cool rear spoiler might not pop up from the trunk lid. Come auto show time, any error could be a career-shortening embarrassment.

For the next five months, a team of 15 Calty designers, modelers and fabricators invaded Toyota's secured space at Five Axis to build and perfect the FT-1. Toyota wouldn't reveal the price of the project, but concept cars typically cost about $1 million.

Finally, the concept rolled into Calty's shop at the end of November, to receive final detailing before being shipped to Detroit for last Monday's introduction.

Back in Orange County, as the car sat in repose in the dimmed, high-ceilinged Calty staging area, the three top designers gathered for video interview sessions. Normally, designers get no feedback on their work until it is shown to the public, for better or worse. But this is a rare exception.

Turning the tables, Shen looked at a reporter and asked — his voice a swirling mixture of pride and confidence, with just a hint of uncertainty: "What do you think?"

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...#axzz2qwtWqV20
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
rcm47 (01-20-2014), RRnold (01-21-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #320
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

FT-1: Moving forward into the past

Calty’s studio team poses with the FT-1 – the culmination of every designer’s dream job.

Quote:
It's not the next Toyota Supra. Or is it?

While paying tribute to the history of Toyota sports cars, the Toyota FT-1 concept unveiled at the Detroit auto show wasn't specifically designed to be the next Supra.

Calty Design Research and Toyota Motor Corp. executives went out of their way to avoid using the word "Supra" for fear of giving the concept the aura of an official production sign-off. FT-1 stands for "Future Toyota."

But Toyota has a track record of developing concept cars that find their way to the street.

"We called this design 'Supra' in presentations. There was a big debate over the name. So it's 'FT-1' now," said Calty President Kevin Hunter. "We're not ignoring that we have a history. The name itself is a different matter."

With that in mind, if the FT-1 were to become a production car, viewers should think smaller. To be perceived as a serious sports car on the show floor, the FT-1 had to have stage presence. That meant the concept would be 10 percent larger than what a real-world vehicle would be, Hunter said.

Had Calty done a real-size concept, there was a risk show-goers and the media wouldn't take the smaller vehicle seriously, Hunter said. In other words, people should avoid taking dimensional measurements and calling the FT-1 a grand-touring car.

Calty's starting point was to design a sports car with a theoretical $50,000 to $60,000 price tag, Hunter said. That meant designing something wild, but not so exotic that it pushed the car into the territory that would make it a Lexus.

"We didn't want [Toyota Motor top management] to see this and think it was a $150,000 car," Hunter said. "We also did the Lexus LF-LC [concept coupe] at Calty, so we wanted a different form vocabulary for this car. Anything that looked like the LF-LC was rejected. That car was more touring oriented, while this is a pure sports car."

Exterior: 'Functional beauty'

"We approached the design with the idea of 'functional beauty,' in that it should have a sense of purpose but still be beautiful," Hunter said.

Walking up to the car's front quarter shows the essence of the car's horsepower hugging the wheels close to the body and making the wheel flares taut.

"We wanted movement in every surface," Calty chief designer Alex Shen said. "The fundamental thing with a sports car is stance -- how you set up the proportion to set up wheels. We wanted it to have the broad shoulders of a purpose-built racecar."

As for the sculpting of the FT-1, Shen calls the processes "erosion" and "exogenetic," where outside forces such as wind sculpt the car.

"We wanted to see the air flow through and around the vehicle. We wanted large forms that are smooth and slippery, with strategic areas that create downforce," Shen said.

Remember, Calty was the studio that poured mud into water balloons to envision the slippery shapes of the original Lexus SC 400 coupe. These guys think differently than the rest of us.

But the idea of form for form's sake disappears when examining the technical needs of the car, Shen said.

The car's tail has a "trip edge" to emphasize downforce and to enable brake cooling. The front air intakes extend all the way to the rear diffuser for ground effects and aerodynamics, while the front intake vents relieve pressure in the front wheelhouse. In looking closely at the cabin's wrapped windshield and double-bubble roof, elements of the original 2000GT are noticeable.

A key feature of sports cars is the location of the A-pillar. Raking it forward makes the windshield look "faster," and the car's power appears more evenly distributed front and rear. Functionally, however, it sacrifices forward visibility.

Making the A-pillar more upright and locating it further back in the body is classic sports car styling, showing off a long engine bay and placing the emphasis on the rear wheels putting power to the pavement -- with the added benefit of excellent visibility.

"We saw that the Ferrari 458 Italia A-post was way back toward the driver. The Lamborghini Gallardo had the A-pillar way out by the wheels, and it felt more like fashion. We wanted to treat the cockpit as a totally separate element, all business," Hunter said.

Powertrain: Inline 6?

So what's under the hood?

As a show car, it's just a battery pack that can barely push the car onto a stage. But, theoretically, Calty "always thought of an inline-six, because it's in the Supra lineage," Hunter said.

Toyota doesn't make an inline-six anymore. But other automakers -- BMW, for instance -- still do. Hunter dismisses such theorizing. The engine could be a V-6, V-8, hybrid or some other package. Toyota and BMW last year announced a joint venture to build a next-generation sports car.

Hunter cuts off the conversation quickly: "We can't talk about engines anyway."

Interior: Far out but do-able

Many show cars are merely exterior styling exercises to stretch the legs of designers. But the FT-1 has a complete interior that seems almost ready for production -- complete with a new telematics interface.

Calty's stylists deliberately tried to make the interior into something achievable, even if some of the effects seem a bit far out, said William Chergosky, Calty interior chief designer.

With the instrument panel, head-up displays are all the rage, and Calty took the FT-1 to a new level. Rather than beaming the information onto the windshield, a separate screen protrudes up from the steering column. All important information is right in the line of sight. If you remember the head-up targeting display from Maverick's fighter jet in Top Gun, you get the idea.

A cool display is one thing. Interacting with it at speed is another. When Chergosky's team tested competitive exotics at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, no driver recalled looking away from the track -- and down at the instrument panel -- to visually register any key information.

"We wanted the point of view to be from the knuckles up," Chergosky said.

The clickpad interface for the display resides on the steering wheel itself, with four quadrant-based buttons. All functions are just a couple of button clicks away, and unneeded info can be virtually pushed into the lower "dock" display where traditional gauges normally reside.

"Everything needs to be within the range of your fingertips," Chergosky said.

Calty also was adventurous in terms of its use of materials. Because the FT-1 is meant to make the driver feel like a superhero, Chergosky said, Calty looked at modern comic books to see what costumes are in fashion.

"Batman is basically wearing woven iron today. There's no more blue tights," Chergosky said.

Because this is a purpose-built track car, not a luxury sports car, materials were chosen to display an underlying function. The headliner construction appears more like a roll cage, with heat-treated aluminum giving the impression of a red-hot motorcycle muffler pipe.

Sports car wonks -- including CEO Akio Toyoda --note that the gas and brake pedal sprout from the floor, "church-organ" style, rather than hanging down from above.

Being a sports car, if it's to have an automatic transmission, paddle-shifting is a requirement.

With fixed paddles, you have windshield wipers and blinkers getting knocked when the driver is cornering and hunting for the paddles with his fingers. The FT-1's paddles would rotate with the steering wheel.

So, to the question: Is this the next Supra?

After several hours of rare openness in the studio, Hunter's answer becomes a bit evasive: "We have a history of making these kinds of concept cars, where it is not a pipe dream. We want to feel a possibility that it could happen. ... We can't help speculation."
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...#axzz2qyXTVmGw
Old 01-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #321
supragoods

Drives: Ravenfire
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/video...N8afj8krB2t0DP sorry if its a repost i didnt see this videos when i skim through.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #322
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Vijay Pattni21 January 2014 This is a Toyota FT-1 racing car

Before you get excited, IT’S NOT REAL: artist renders racing version of Detroit concept

Quote:
This isn't real. It's a concept sketch of how the Toyota FT-1 concept car might look had it been built as a GT500 race machine and liveried in one of Toyota's all-time classic schemes. Simply put, then, it looks glorious.

Rendered by TG.com's good friend Jon Sibal as a work of fantasy, the render - remember, IT'S NOT REAL - takes the hyper-hyper FT-1 concept car that took everyone by surprise at last week's Detroit Motor Show, and makes it fighty.

That livery is a knowing nod to what many believe the FT-1 represents: a new Supra. Don't forget, the last Toyota Supra - that's the Mk IV - raced in the All-Japan GT Championship that was inaugurated in 1994, where modified production cars knocked seven bells out of one another.

In 1997, the Mk IV Supra, clad in TOMS livery, lined up in the GT500 class against things like the Honda NSX, Lamborghini Diablo and Nissan Skyline, using a 2.0-litre 16v engine tuned for over 480bhp.

With Michael Krumm and Pedro de la Rosa behind the wheel, this Supra fought a hard campaign but emerged on top - and victorious - thus establishing itself within the Toyota Supra Appreciation Society as a bona fide legend. It would later star in Gran Turismo, too, giving it greater longevity amongst the gamer community. This is a community you do not want to upset.

So we're quite glad Jon has reimagined the FT-1 as a racing Supra, because it looks superb. Of course, the FT-1 isn't a Supra. But good god, if it were...

(We've included some pics of the original TOMS Supra, too)
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/t...der-2014-01-21

The Toyota FT-1 is merely a concept, but the ghost of Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda approves. It's worth noting, of course, that Mr. Toyoda is still alive.

http://jalopnik.com/im-pretty-sure-i...ere-1501624453

Last edited by vh_supra26; 09-27-2016 at 12:09 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
rcm47 (01-21-2014), RRnold (01-21-2014)

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose