follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-22-2018, 02:33 AM   #1
Benji

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Diode Dynamics SMD12 boards

I was looking through the catalogue for the 2017 BRZ (I have the Limited PP if that makes any difference) and it looks like the following has an 'SMD12' board option for the following:

Door
Trunk
Dome

These don't look like a direct fit so I was curious as to what is required as I cannot seem to find any info.

Additionally, a few other questions if I may:

1. Are there any issues caused by fitting any of these bulbs on offer
2. What isn't a direct placement/plug and play
3. For the dome light, where does the HP6 fit in the line up, why does it look different and what are the lumens in comparison to the rest of the options
4. The 2017 doesn't list vanity lights but the 2016 options does, will these same vanity lights work on the 2017 as well
5. Is there anything else I should know
Finally are there any deals/sales going on right now or about to be?

Thanks for all your help!
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:59 AM   #2
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
So, I've had some of these installed since roughly September.

I got HP3 and HP5 for the license and trunk respectively.

I got an SMD12 for the dome light.

The HP3/HP5 have worked perfectly the entire time. The SMD12 has been consistently failing for me in under roughly 45 degrees farenheit weather (until the cabin has warmed up from heat). Otherwise they work fine, so there's some issue with cold temps.

I'm on my second SMD12 board and literally just started emailing back and forth with their support again today to see about getting yet another replacement. They claim that they haven't heard of anyone else having issues with cold temperatures, but the fact that this has happened to me with two separate SMD12 boards seems to point to an issue with the temperature range they're made with materials for.

The alternative solution I've been given to try is to use dielectric grease on the connectors, but I haven't been able to try that for this board and it seems like it shouldn't be necessary, but still trying to figure that out.

Anyway, of the three they've all been plug and play. I have the vanity and door courtesy replacements as well but have been procrastinating on replacing them. But from what I've heard they're also plug and play.

--

Maybe @Ultramaroon would know why I'm having that issue with the dome LED board. But otherwise it's a bit frustrating. Can update you later on how things go.
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Benji (02-22-2018), Ultramaroon (02-23-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 03:34 AM   #3
Benji

Great info and yeah, general troubleshooting logic like that after the second one would imply an issue with the board design, or at the very least, starts pointing the finger in its direction more than anything else.

I'd be concerned too with the fact that it's in the interior at the top and it's possible the door/trunk area might experience colder temps and thus potentially, exacerbate any potential problems. Heck even in Texas it's below 45 right now.

Perhaps I best stick to the normal bulb designs then however, I'm still curious as to how they fit, are there clips in the areas where they are fitted normally? It just looks like a small board with a pigtail connector, so it would seem like you plug it in normally, but then how is the board secured in each area?

I'll definitely be following your results.

Are there any things to avoid? I saw a YouTube video talking about the vanity lights and NOT to get the brightest option since it glares in your face too much, are there any other areas you might not want to go to the highest option due to potential safety issues or maybe something else?
Old 02-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post
Great info and yeah, general troubleshooting logic like that after the second one would imply an issue with the board design, or at the very least, starts pointing the finger in its direction more than anything else.

I'd be concerned too with the fact that it's in the interior at the top and it's possible the door/trunk area might experience colder temps and thus potentially, exacerbate any potential problems. Heck even in Texas it's below 45 right now.

I'll definitely be following your results.
I'd recommend staying away from SMD12's at this point. DD replied and sent me this today:

Quote:
The grease is to help with conductivity so if the bulb is losing connection this may help and is why this suggestion is being made. I have spoke with one of my colleagues who was running two of these boards in the dome light of his Civic EG hatch. He states that he would also have this happen with his SMD12 boards, so I have to assume a third SMD12 board will not correct this for you either.
I can try the grease at this point if I can find any, but it's not looking promising, and I can't say I agree with the conductivity being the issue, though I'm not an electrician. The LED works fine on warm days after being driven on bumpy roads, which would be much more likely to cause the bulb spring and housing to lose contact than a drop in temperature.

If his friend's had the same issue before then it probably doesn't bode well for this LED board and its intended usecase.
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Benji (02-22-2018), Tcoat (02-22-2018), Ultramaroon (02-23-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I've had the SMD12 boards as door puddle lights in my BRZ for years now. I live in Chicago, so cold temperatures are definitely a thing (though the vehicle is garaged overnight, FWIW.) I recall having an issue with one of them flickering at one point, but I think it was just that it came unplugged. Either way, they've served me well and I have no complaints.

I do agree that DD's troubleshooting methods are... lacking. They will just run you in circles, endlessly having you diagnose this and that over and over, without seeming to consider that their design might have some sort of defect. I went through THREE headlight control modules for another one of their kits, and a month of back-and-forth emails, with lots of time spent troubleshooting it. I finally threw in the towel when their "lead engineer" started making suggestions that had me questioning if he even understood how electricity flows through a fuse. I built a purely mechanical version of their electronic module using two relays wired together in series. Took me 20 minutes, and everything worked, lol.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:58 PM   #6
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji View Post
I was looking through the catalogue for the 2017 BRZ (I have the Limited PP if that makes any difference) and it looks like the following has an 'SMD12' board option for the following:

Door
Trunk
Dome

These don't look like a direct fit so I was curious as to what is required as I cannot seem to find any info.

Additionally, a few other questions if I may:

1. Are there any issues caused by fitting any of these bulbs on offer
2. What isn't a direct placement/plug and play
3. For the dome light, where does the HP6 fit in the line up, why does it look different and what are the lumens in comparison to the rest of the options
4. The 2017 doesn't list vanity lights but the 2016 options does, will these same vanity lights work on the 2017 as well
5. Is there anything else I should know
Finally are there any deals/sales going on right now or about to be?

Thanks for all your help!
1. They are compatible with the 2017 model BRZ and will not cause any issues. We've done extensive testing on the FRS / BRZ / and 86. Even owned an FRS for several years.

2. The SMD12 is the brightest model, which has an adapter that goes directly into the factory socket. The board is mounted with 3M adhesive.

3. The HP6 is brand new and lumen figures haven't been added yet. It is brighter than the previous SMF6 model. It looks different because it's a new diffuser lens design.

4. 2017 may have factory LED vanity lights, but it's possible we haven't had a chance to update that listing yet (brand new website, 12,000+ listings, working on it!)

5. We have extensive hands on experience with both of these cars, and videos & instructions available for nearly every location.

Please send us a PM for the free-shipping code if you haven't already

Feel free to give us a call if you have any additional questions: (314) 205-3033

Thank you,
Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diode Dynamics For This Useful Post:
Benji (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
Benji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
1. They are compatible with the 2017 model BRZ and will not cause any issues. We've done extensive testing on the FRS / BRZ / and 86. Even owned an FRS for several years.

2. The SMD12 is the brightest model, which has an adapter that goes directly into the factory socket. The board is mounted with 3M adhesive.

3. The HP6 is brand new and lumen figures haven't been added yet. It is brighter than the previous SMF6 model. It looks different because it's a new diffuser lens design.

4. 2017 may have factory LED vanity lights, but it's possible we haven't had a chance to update that listing yet (brand new website, 12,000+ listings, working on it!)

5. We have extensive hands on experience with both of these cars, and videos & instructions available for nearly every location.

Please send us a PM for the free-shipping code if you haven't already

Feel free to give us a call if you have any additional questions: (314) 205-3033

Thank you,
Nick C.

Excellent info, exactly what I was looking for, I think I'm going to just go with the option below the SMD12 boards on the ones that have them for now, I also need to check I'm not being dumb and that the vanity lights aren't already LED!

Will place an order tonight, thank you for the free shipping code.
The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #8
Geese1

Drives: 2018 BRZ w/ PP - WRB
I noticed Subaru is offering an LED dome light swap as an option on the 2018 model BRZs. I believe this is new for this year (can't be sure, but I don't remember seeing this in the brochure for 2017). Was wondering if it was worth ordering the car with this option since I planned to update all the non-LED lights to LED anyway?
Geese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #9
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese1 View Post
I noticed Subaru is offering an LED dome light swap as an option on the 2018 model BRZs. I believe this is new for this year (can't be sure, but I don't remember seeing this in the brochure for 2017). Was wondering if it was worth ordering the car with this option since I planned to update all the non-LED lights to LED anyway?
Not sure if its worth ordering the car with that option if they are going to overcharge you for simply putting in an LED bulb in the Dome. You could always buy all the LED bulbs and change them yourself it is very easy and does not take long at all also there are tons of DIY guides on how to do it. That being said, having an LED bulb in the dome makes a huge difference the light is actually useful and you can clearly see everything in the dark. I would definitely recommend switching out the interior and exterior bulbs to LED they make a huge difference and look great.
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vital For This Useful Post:
Geese1 (02-24-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Maybe @Ultramaroon would know why I'm having that issue with the dome LED board. But otherwise it's a bit frustrating. Can update you later on how things go.
Been away for a few days. I'd have to see the example and fiddle with it before passing judgement. Haven't yet had a need to crack open my dome light because *gasp* stock