follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
PollosHermanos

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited 6SP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My Plastidip Reverse-Alchemy Project - Making Copper Out of Gold

So I bought my summer wheels today and I'm thinking that instead of going with gold wheels this summer I'm going to change them over to a copper dip. In fact, the copper may end up being a theme for me on my SWP for the rear chrome badges and maybe the fender louvers, too.

So what are we starting with? Gold OZ Ultraleggeras - 17'' x 8''+48

There are a few chips on these and they are NOT brand new. Good thing because I paid about half of retail for them so it's all good.

As you can see there isn't any rubber on these yet. I'm trying to pick out the proper tire now but since it's only 2/1 and I'm in New England I've got some time.

I've never dipped a damned thing so this will all be new to me. I've thought up a few questions for those who have dipped wheels before:
  1. Should be dipping AFTER the wheels have tires mounted? Or can I just touch them up if the mounting rubs off the dip? I think I can do either but since this is a combo process of colors I might want to wait until after.
  2. Much much dip do I need? I plan on going with a camo brown with the copper metalizer over the top to get a deep copper color. In this video go to 5:45 for the color:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOtQ320LzyY"]this[/ame]
  3. Any tips or tricks for a plastidip noob? I've been watching plenty of videos and it looks hard as hell to get it to be even all around.
  4. What am I not thinking of?

I'll keep this updated with my progress. Right now I've just got the wheels and I plan on ordering a can of the camo brown and a can of the metalizer to do some tests and see if I like it on the wheels.

More to come!
1990 Laser RS - Lights go up, lights go down ||1992 MX-6 Coupe - Hah ... no || 2001 Integra GSR - Almost rice. Risotto || 2003 IS300 - A nice car but no fun. || 2011 Stage I GTI - Lots of fun. Would buy another

2014 BRZ - That BRZ. So hot right now.
PollosHermanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1. it will be better with the tire mounted on as the dip will peel on the mounting machine

2. I normally like to do at least a can a wheel as it will make your life a lot easier when you peel it off. Light coats will mean it will be a bitch to remove.

3. Put cars inbetween the rim and tire and I myself like to do it stages where I will coat the wheel, roll it a bit coat some more roll again and repeat. Mess around tho and you will find what works for you.

4. Shake the cans very very well and make sure they are somewhat warm to avoid the dip spraying in a gunked up form. Also when spraying I don't really like to move my wrist so I can lay it on as flat as possible.

All I can really think of. I'm not a expert by no means but have done a couple cars now.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
_search

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I actually did the wheels on my old Impreza with a copper dip. Only advice I can add to the above comment is buy some extra metalizer. The metalizer dip is a little different than the regular dip because it is sorta metal flakes suspended in a transparent dip and that makes it a bit tricky to get even out of the can. In truth using cans of dip instead of a sprayer is always a bit tough to get a nice even finish. Try to be patient and build up the coats slowly and then have at least one extra can to do touch ups. Also just have fun learning and playing with it. That's the real upside of dip. Worst case scenario you have some not perfect wheels for a week while you wait for some more dip to do them over with.
_search is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 AM   #4
Nguyenstreak

Drives: 09 Civic Sedan
The video doesn't mention putting a bit of painter's tape in the lug holes to prevent the paint from tearing, stretching, or being weird whenever you tighten/remove your wheels.
You could also fill any minor imperfections with a bit of bondo or finish putty then plastidipping over it for a flawless looking wheel.
You could try contacting Dipyourcar for their professional opinion. I've asked them several questions before and they definitely do what they can to answer you and be as helpful as possible.
Also, buy a spray gun trigger from walmart or something, saves your fingers from going numb lol those plastidip cans can really do a number on your hands.
Nguyenstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
illest86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollosHermanos View Post
So I bought my summer wheels today and I'm thinking that instead of going with gold wheels this summer I'm going to change them over to a copper dip. In fact, the copper may end up being a theme for me on my SWP for the rear chrome badges and maybe the fender louvers, too.

So what are we starting with? Gold OZ Ultraleggeras - 17'' x 8''+48

There are a few chips on these and they are NOT brand new. Good thing because I paid about half of retail for them so it's all good.

As you can see there isn't any rubber on these yet. I'm trying to pick out the proper tire now but since it's only 2/1 and I'm in New England I've got some time.

I've never dipped a damned thing so this will all be new to me. I've thought up a few questions for those who have dipped wheels before:
  1. Should be dipping AFTER the wheels have tires mounted? Or can I just touch them up if the mounting rubs off the dip? I think I can do either but since this is a combo process of colors I might want to wait until after.
  2. Much much dip do I need? I plan on going with a camo brown with the copper metalizer over the top to get a deep copper color. In this video go to 5:45 for the color:
  3. Any tips or tricks for a plastidip noob? I've been watching plenty of videos and it looks hard as hell to get it to be even all around.
  4. What am I not thinking of?

I'll keep this updated with my progress. Right now I've just got the wheels and I plan on ordering a can of the camo brown and a can of the metalizer to do some tests and see if I like it on the wheels.

More to come!
Those wheels are so beautiful the way they are. I hate for that to be my feedback on this project.

When I used plastidip on my stock wheels, after months and months, the black plasti-dip had softened and melted onto where the wheel mounts. It was a bit messy to clean up when I took them off.

I don't know if I would recommend plasti-dip on such a high-friction/high-heat area. I know that painting wheels with plasti-dip is popular, but from personal experience, it's a very soft material. I would even be sketchy about using it on a front lip without adhesive promotor or sanding. They also have a product out now that supposedly 'makes their product more permanent.' So that would be essential.

If those wheels were mine, I would wash and polish them. And wait for install day Good choice by the way!
illest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
PollosHermanos

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited 6SP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks for all the input!

After mulling it over I will be trying these out on the car before I dip anything. They are pretty sweet wheels so maybe ill love them as is.

That being said I do plan to dip the stocks since they will become my dedicated so rwd wheels so all this info is good regardless.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
1990 Laser RS - Lights go up, lights go down ||1992 MX-6 Coupe - Hah ... no || 2001 Integra GSR - Almost rice. Risotto || 2003 IS300 - A nice car but no fun. || 2011 Stage I GTI - Lots of fun. Would buy another

2014 BRZ - That BRZ. So hot right now.
PollosHermanos is offline   Reply With Quote