follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2016, 04:41 PM   #29
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
When Japan had the STI Performance Package it was STI rims, full bodykit, flexible tower bar, and flexible draw stiffeners. The package was about 280,000 yen IIRC.

This Yellow Edition could be something similar. Being yellow in color they will probably put the Bilstein suspension on it (seeing how they are also putting it onto the new Levorg STI). Next year's WRX STI should bring big changes (new engine and suspension).

Exciting times for Subaru (Fuji Heavy Industries is even changing their name to Subaru Corporation). I think soon they will integrate tuned by STI models with the factory production line and expand their STI line-up worldwide (thus dropping the tS moniker) just like the others (i.e. Mercedes Benz AMG, BMW M, Audi Sport RS, Volkswagen R, Porsche Motorsports GT, Lexus F) and no longer acting like an independent tuner.

Last edited by krayzie; 06-08-2016 at 05:01 PM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #30
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
http://www.torquenews.com/1084/sti-b...icked-big-meet

"Subaru and STI are bringing a surprise 2017 BRZ to Wicked Big Meet. What is STI up to?

The 2017 Subaru BRZ has just been announced and it’s coming with new upgrades. Subaru Tecnica International (STI) is bringing a surprise BRZ to the Wicked Big Meet on June 12. What will the new BRZ sports coupe be getting? It will likely be an STI-enhanced special edition model.

On their Facebook page, Subaru announced a few days ago they are bringing “something new” to the Subaru gathering in Stafford Springs, CT. They teased the picture above and said Subaru enthusiasts at WBW will see it first. It’s the largest Subaru enthusiast festival in America and it takes place at Stafford Motor Speedway in June.

Last year, Subaru surprised fans with the new Hyper Blue Subaru WRX/STI and BRZ special edition cars. This year, Subaru says it has another surprise, this time it’s a special BRZ sports coupe.

STI is behind the special BRZ
The special BRZ will be coming from Subaru Tecnica International (STI) who will also be at Wicked Big Meet and Big Northwest on June 25. The new BRZ could be an STI-enhanced model which Subaru will introduce as a BRZ special edition. We already know it will come in Sunrise Yellow which Subaru has used on the Crosstrek special edition. It will have more than a special color.

It will likely get the new 2017 BRZ Performance Package that includes Brembo calipers and larger rotors on both front and rear brakes for better stopping power. Subaru says the advanced braking system gives BRZ a significant boost in stopping power, fade resistance, and pedal feel. The package also includes SACHS Performance shock absorbers on all four corners for improved ride and corning stability. Also included in the package are special 17-in x 7.5-in black aluminum alloy wheels.

STI is bringing more than the new Sunrise Yellow 2017 BRZ. They will bring a showcase of vehicles for Wicked Big Meet fans. They will also bring the exclusive JDM only WRX STI S207. This is a WRX STI with the 2.0-liter 328hp boxer U.S. fans want to see brought here. STI also brings rally legend Colin McRae's Impreza WRC98, and a 1998 Impreza 22B. Subaru enthusiasts at Wicked Big Meet will get to see what STI is up to on June 12."
Yeah torque jumps on any opportunity to "announce" a STI-equipped BRZ. I think they're just misinterpreting the combination of a special edition BRZ is being announced, and STI having a presence at WBM, to equal special edition STI BRZ coming.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
kch (06-09-2016), krayzie (06-08-2016), Zaku (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #31
krayzie
Drive From Home

Torquenews is just some made up bullshit blog site.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #32
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
Yeah torque jumps on any opportunity to "announce" a STI-equipped BRZ. I think they're just misinterpreting the combination of a special edition BRZ is being announced, and STI having a presence at WBM, to equal special edition STI BRZ coming.
While the article is all conjecture, Subaru keeps saying they are going to expand the STI parts line, and a BRZ with all sorts of STI parts would be special.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #33
DSOmegaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
While the article is all conjecture, Subaru keeps saying they are going to expand the STI parts line, and a BRZ with all sorts of STI parts would be special.
It's a question of whether STI will be updating the parts list for the revised model. Things like the lip kit need to be redesigned now with the difference in shape on the bumpers, springs readjusted for the new damper specifications, etc. A lot of these improvements have been somewhat adapted into the new model, which takes what they've learned developing cars like the tS, 14R, Gazoo, etc. While I do expect to see things like the strut bar make its way here, I wouldn't expect anything beyond that.

Not to mention price. A limited with PP will most likely be running near 33-34k. You add even more on top of that and you could be looking at a BRZ that's north of 35k, especially since it's an extremely low volume for import into the US and Canada.

That being said, I expect the car to get the STI strut bar since the hyperblue in Canada has it equipped already (which is a slap in the face for US hyperblue owners)

Last edited by DSOmegaX; 06-08-2016 at 07:15 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
Jordan Silveira (06-08-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 07:01 AM   #34
Axel

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If the yellow series does get the 2017 Performance Package, that would be a full year before that is available on the rest of the 2017 BRZ's ("available Winter 2017")... that in itself is a pretty big incentive to pony up the extra cash.
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:35 AM   #35
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,447 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
If the yellow series does get the 2017 Performance Package, that would be a full year before that is available on the rest of the 2017 BRZ's ("available Winter 2017")... that in itself is a pretty big incentive to pony up the extra cash.

Just because they're showing "a" car this weekend doesn't mean the production run is just around the corner. I'll be very surprised if the yellow limited edition arrives before those with the performance package.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
why? (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #36
DatsunDimer

Drives: Datsun 510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I interpreted the Winter 2017 to mean the winter of the 2017 MY. The actual winter of 2017 would be in the MY18 window. That would lead me to believe somewhere between December and February. Still, probably almost 6 months behind the initial release of the MY17. I also doubt the limited release would be available September if equipped with the PP.
DatsunDimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #37
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
It's a question of whether STI will be updating the parts list for the revised model. Things like the lip kit need to be redesigned now with the difference in shape on the bumpers, springs readjusted for the new damper specifications, etc. A lot of these improvements have been somewhat adapted into the new model, which takes what they've learned developing cars like the tS, 14R, Gazoo, etc. While I do expect to see things like the strut bar make its way here, I wouldn't expect anything beyond that.

Not to mention price. A limited with PP will most likely be running near 33-34k. You add even more on top of that and you could be looking at a BRZ that's north of 35k, especially since it's an extremely low volume for import into the US and Canada.

That being said, I expect the car to get the STI strut bar since the hyperblue in Canada has it equipped already (which is a slap in the face for US hyperblue owners)
They have to make new parts for the new model. Subaru keeps saying they are going to expand the STI parts catalog, they cannot do that if their are not tons of parts for the BRZ. There can always be more aggressive more race oriented parts, no matter how sports oriented the car is stock. And they don't all have to come on the special model to be displayed on them either. No matter what they put on the special model, I doubt it will change in price much from the $32k or so it seems to have been for the past few.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #38
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm calling it right now, but if they put the sports package brakes / suspension on this yellow edition its going to be knocking on a 38K pricetag.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #39
krayzie
Drive From Home

Quote:
They have to make new parts for the new model. Subaru keeps saying they are going to expand the STI parts catalog, they cannot do that if their are not tons of parts for the BRZ. There can always be more aggressive more race oriented parts, no matter how sports oriented the car is stock. And they don't all have to come on the special model to be displayed on them either. No matter what they put on the special model, I doubt it will change in price much from the $32k or so it seems to have been for the past few.
I don't think they will expand the STI parts catalog, unless they start rebadging TRD parts. The production of parts is so low for them to even bring the entire selection overseas (e.g. the sport muffler took 3 weeks to make when I ordered it from Japan).

What Subaru needs to do is just to expand the STI line-up in the showroom. They currently only have one car (WRX STI) and soon just one more (Levorg STI but only JDM). These STI models don't have much STI aftermarket parts on them either, usually just a slightly higher performance spec car from the factory.

I wonder why they didn't just badge the PP as an STI model, maybe cuz it's a shared package with Toyota.

Last edited by krayzie; 06-09-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #40
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
This yellow color will just be a waste of time. It's just going be another hyerblue series, or hikari edition or whatever else they decide to call it for adding some aero kit.

Maybe, it will have the performance package (because that works in marketing today) but for normal drivers it's pointless. Unless your a track person, for most drivers like myself who don't track, the stock brakes can handle the power output perfectly. I don't need Brembo's to stop at a red light. Same goes for suspension components.

This will just be another overpriced special edition.

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
Elleteeh (06-09-2016), krayzie (06-09-2016), WolfpackS2k (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #41
DSOmegaX

The 2017 Series.Yellow....what upgrades?

Quote:

There's already a full catalog of parts in Japan (at least double that of what's available in the AU market) plus what's available from the JDM tS. What I meant is if it's worth it to STi to have to update what's already available for the older model.

Also it's Subaru of America that keeps talking about expanding the STI parts catalog, but they don't actually have any power over STI. That's Subaru of Japan, and they haven't really pushed anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #42
DSOmegaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I don't think they will expand the STI parts catalog, unless they start rebadging TRD parts. The production of parts is so low for them to even bring the entire selection overseas (e.g. the sport muffler took 3 weeks to make when I ordered it from Japan).

What Subaru needs to do is just to expand the STI line-up in the showroom. They currently only have one car (WRX STI) and soon just one more (Levorg STI but only JDM). These STI models don't have much STI aftermarket parts on them either, usually just a slightly higher performance spec car from the factory.

I wonder why they didn't just badge the PP as an STI model, maybe cuz it's a shared package with Toyota.

They wouldn't badge another model with the tS around. Unless I'm mistaken, the reason cars get badges tS or STI is dependent on who leads the project from STI (tS of course being Tatsumi). And I'm thinking that the levorg STI has more going on underneath the car in subtle ways, similar to how the BRZ tS improved on the chassis with the extended bolts, collars, etc. these things don't make headlines but can make differences nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk