follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2016, 02:24 AM   #29
humdizzle

Drives: 2018 GT3 / 2015 M3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
you guys do realize the systems are still on even though you press the TCS button for 5 sec right??? Drive hard enough and the light will still flash at you on the dash and you will feel the tcs cut in. personally i've usually only seen it on big drift angles or if a wheel catches air.

The only way to really turn off the systems is the pedal dance.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25494

Regardless, you as a human cannot beat the ECU when it comes to safety. You cannot individually brake certain wheels like it can.

Past: 458 Italia, R35 GTR, E36/E46/F80 M3, 335i, Scion FRS
humdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:38 AM   #30
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
i only use vsc sport...don't need to turn it all off on the streets but before i pull into the dealership sometimes i turn it all off to make myself seem like a hot shot driver when the kid gets into to drive my car to the back
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:51 AM   #31
ericmpena

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I only turn on Sport Mode when I gotta accelerate out of a turn quickly. I pretty much never turn off the entire traction control. Probably 95% of my driving is with everything on.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:09 AM   #32
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Haven't driven RWD in 30 years until the BRZ, and it's been interesting to reacquaint with the idiosyncracies of rear drive. Many quick turns at right-on-red traffic lights will blip the traction system as one of the rear tires lifts, where FWD would pull you around that corner fast and flawlessly. So I leave the systems on all the time, but I often wonder about the gray area and whether on or off would be better. I have experienced being left high and dry with no power for a second only once, but I wouldn't call the middle of a busy intersection "fun."

Anyway, I guess I'm glad the car is equipped. It is a Subaru, after all.
Tcoat (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 09:05 AM   #33
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
I drive in the street with all the nannies on. I only turn off TCS when i experiment with the car in a relatively safe environment (parking lot etc). i'm not on stock tires, so i have to lose grip on purpose to break them loose, or drive faster than i should in the street, for the nannies to kick in.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #34
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfaffendorn View Post
Haven't driven RWD in 30 years until the BRZ, and it's been interesting to reacquaint with the idiosyncracies of rear drive. Many quick turns at right-on-red traffic lights will blip the traction system as one of the rear tires lifts, where FWD would pull you around that corner fast and flawlessly. So I leave the systems on all the time, but I often wonder about the gray area and whether on or off would be better. I have experienced being left high and dry with no power for a second only once, but I wouldn't call the middle of a busy intersection "fun."

Anyway, I guess I'm glad the car is equipped. It is a Subaru, after all.
I very much doubt you're getting lift... more likely you're slipping the entire rear end a little. Unless you've screwed up your suspension...
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #35
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
I turned mine off once two years ago when it snowed a 1/2 inch on the way to work.
Had melted by the time for the the drive home.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:17 AM   #36
NMBRzer

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdizzle View Post
you guys do realize the systems are still on even though you press the TCS button for 5 sec right??? Drive hard enough and the light will still flash at you on the dash and you will feel the tcs cut in. personally i've usually only seen it on big drift angles or if a wheel catches air.

The only way to really turn off the systems is the pedal dance.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25494

Regardless, you as a human cannot beat the ECU when it comes to safety. You cannot individually brake certain wheels like it can.

http://www.beastronix.com/shop/86nanny-speed-academy/.

As a human I'm more predictable than the ECU. On a track I don't want surprises and faster lap times are possible with the system off.
NMBRzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NMBRzer For This Useful Post:
Beastronix (05-22-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #37
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
On the street I put the car in sport mode as part of start up because the full nanny mode is intolerably intrusive but I leave the system on. There is really absolutely no reason to turn it full off on a public road and I very rarely do. It's a safety net and my ego isn't larger than the 25k check I'd have to write to replace the car. Occasionally I I'll tap the TC button to turn the system off until ~32mph some wheel slip to get out a bit faster.

Off for autocrossing, I've never used the pedal dance and doubt I ever will although the OFT makes it easy to do so.
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #38
softgrip

Drives: 2017 BRZ - Dark Grey Metallic
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
Off for autocrossing, I've never used the pedal dance and doubt I ever will although the OFT makes it easy to do so.
It's super easy.

2x brake and hold, 2x handbrake and hold, 2x brake.

About 5 seconds to turn it off.

It's so easy, I wonder why people bother having a special box to do it. The install time alone, you could have pedal danced a few hundred times.
softgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #39
kberkel

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Lately I do it every day.

My snow tires are dead.. so I'm just eating up the tread on them for fun. Sliding everywhere

Rain is bad though.. I'll just do sport.
kberkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #40
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
I would keep it on in the rain especially if you're on stock tires. I nearly hit a curb taking a turn at speed in a light drizzle, the car started hydroplaning mid turn.
My wife and I began our first cross-country trip home from the Bay Area in heavy rain. It stayed with us the entire trip North. I immediately realized that at highway speed, I either reacted more quickly to hydroplane, or had greater tolerance for it than the nannies did. I tried patiently for an hour to work with it both in and out of cruise mode but inevitably, we both ended up correcting for the same thing and the argument actually made things worse. It really messes with my rhythm. The 5-second push does not help. It still interferes with me in many situations.

My wife is super comfortable with my driving. Even in twisties, she just kicks back and does her thing so when I pulled off of the highway and pedal danced, she barely looked up. I noticed the improvement right away but a few minutes in, she looked up from knitting and said something like "Man, that makes a big difference."

So, yeah, I pretty much hate the nannies.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #41
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrip View Post
It's super easy.

2x brake and hold, 2x handbrake and hold, 2x brake.

About 5 seconds to turn it off.

It's so easy, I wonder why people bother having a special box to do it. The install time alone, you could have pedal danced a few hundred times.
What's your point? I know how to do the dance, and my oft would make it foolproof even if I didn't, I just don't see a need for doing it with driving I'm doing. I've maybe seen the TC light up once when I'm axing with the TC off and it was when things were going very sideways. In other words it wasn't slowing me down.
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:19 AM   #42
softgrip

Drives: 2017 BRZ - Dark Grey Metallic
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0sl0w View Post
What's your point? I know how to do the dance, and my oft would make it foolproof even if I didn't, I just don't see a need for doing it with driving I'm doing. I've maybe seen the TC light up once when I'm axing with the TC off and it was when things were going very sideways. In other words it wasn't slowing me down.
You said OFT makes it easy, and my point is that it's easy anyway.
softgrip is offline   Reply With Quote