follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #85
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mengsta View Post
Yes these definitely do perform. They are top quality coils and we have had nothing but happy customers. As for the fronts being inverted, this is a huge plus for performance reasons. Should decrease fluid temperatures as well as the weight distribution of the coilover. Dampening may not be as easy as just popping the hood, but its still easy. You can turn the wheel and just reach under the coilover. Once you get a good setting, its not like you will be messing with it all the time.

Btw we have these in stock as well at the lowest pricing.
Any lap times to validate performance claims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mengsta View Post
Also as mentioned above, yes these may not be "race" level systems, but that doesn't mean they won't perform exceptionally well at the track. Unless you are racing professionally there is no need to spend double the price compared to these on coilovers on 3way dampening adjustable coilovers just for a weekend racer. Depending on your budget, to most FRS owners that daily drive and track as a hobby, these are a very good choice. We ran this set on our track TC and loved it. Performed exceptionally well at the track, yet it still took us back home comfortably at the end of the day.
Any data to validate this? The TC and BRZ/FRS have very little in common.

I'm not a pro, but I run a significantly more expensive system on my s2k, and I can name countless others with similar systems. I have a very comfy ride home on my coilovers too.

If you want to loan us a set, I'll be more than happy to do some validation testing for you.

Last edited by CSG Mike; 02-26-2013 at 08:02 PM.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Shit Luck (02-27-2013), SubieNate (02-26-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #86
JETRED

Drives: Unicorn
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stepping away from brand validity for a moment...

To those that have these installed or vendors:
-How have they broken in?
-Any knocking or loud noises like the ones plaguing the BC racing coils?
-How's the ride comfort?
-Is it annoying/how annoying is it to adjust the dampening from below?

I guess I just want a full review of these because I am looking for some good introductory coilovers and these seem like a great option!
JETRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #87
FR-S86

Drives: MT Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
^ This!

NC Plate: GT86
FR-S86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #88
eckoflyte

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The correct term is "damping". "Dampening" is used when you "dampen a wet towel" or "he is dampening a towel".
eckoflyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eckoflyte For This Useful Post:
2015firestormFRS (05-10-2015), CSG Mike (02-28-2013), plucas (05-13-2013), SubieNate (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #89
JETRED

Drives: Unicorn
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoflyte View Post
The correct term is "damping". "Dampening" is used when you "dampen a wet towel" or "he is dampening a towel".
Still want to know how these ride and how damp they get!
JETRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #90
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
no its not. either term is perfectly correct despite the fact that dampen addresses the act with a little more specificity. its like saying "he didnt jump. he took off with one foot so it was a hop"
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #91
eckoflyte

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
no its not. either term is perfectly correct despite the fact that dampen addresses the act with a little more specificity. its like saying "he didnt jump. he took off with one foot so it was a hop"
Im not great at english, it is my second language. The word "dampen" (verb) and "dampening" (noun) mean to surpress or restrain and can also mean to moisten. For eg "he dampened the mood on the celebrations severely", or "he is dampening the towel".

The word "damping" is specifically used in physics to refer to the reduction of harmonic oscillations, which in our case is the shock.

So it is technically correct to refer to reduction in oscillation of a car shock as "damping".
eckoflyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eckoflyte For This Useful Post:
2015firestormFRS (05-10-2015)
Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #92
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Im not great at english, it is my second language. The word "dampen" (verb) and "dampening" (noun) mean to surpress or restrain and can also mean to moisten. For eg "he dampened the mood on the celebrations severely", or "he is dampening the towel".

The word "damping" is specifically used in physics to refer to the reduction of harmonic oscillations, which in our case is the shock.

So it is technically correct to refer to reduction in oscillation of a car shock as "damping".
if english is your second language, i wouldnt be surprised if i was better than mine. dampening is a verb however and aside from meaning to moisten, it also means to restrain or restrict. while damping is correct, i also think that dampening works as well
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #93
Mengsta

Drives: Scion tC, Gen Coupe,
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mengsta
Sorry for the misconception, I didn't do a good job on the previous post. I meant there is no "need". I didnt mean there is no "reason". Oh of course we all have our reasons to spend our own money on which parts we want. All we are saying is that it may not be necessary. These are still very good coilovers that can perform. Obviously there are better sets out there that may cost more. Is it necessary to run at the track? No. In fact you can run OEM suspension at the track and still have fun. All we are saying is that its not always necessary to spend even more when Stance offers a pretty good setup.
Mengsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #94
Mengsta

Drives: Scion tC, Gen Coupe,
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mengsta
Sorry Mike to be honest we do not have actual proof of the benefits of inverted coilovers. We are mainly a small family owned business with a passion for this sport and hobby. However seeing the differences in design for the inverted vs non-inverted I wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturer claims are correct in that aspect.

As for comparison to other sets. Well, we never knocked on the higher end sets. All we said was that it may not be necessary for the majority of us which are just track enthusiasts. I personally have an S2K as well, and coilover wise I just run on Swift springs with Koni shocks and have a blast. We believe that at least for the beginner to intermediate, improving times are more about the driver. A KW set may perform better, but to most, paying extra isn't necessary. To stay on topic, thats all we meant in our previous posts. Nothing more, we never bashed on the more expensive set. Its just most of us here track for fun and spending the extra thousand may not be necessary when these Stance coilovers are fairly priced and do perform.

Yes TC and FRS are two totally different cars. I wish we had a shop FRS to track with to give you guys before and after lap times.
Mengsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #95
Jwong

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCIV.Andrew View Post
Dropped on Stance Coils.
Were you maxed out in this picture?
Jwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #96
XCIV.Andrew

Drives: ASPHALT FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwong View Post
Were you maxed out in this picture?
No, not at all. I can literally lay frame if I wanted too, but idk if you bout DATLIF.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #97
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
Stance and BC are strikingly similar.

Stance, I'll say, has some amazing after-sales service and warranty.

Waiting for HSD to put something out. I'd use those over Stance or BC. Just don't buy them from some online wholesaler 2000 miles away.
Why would you use HSD over Stance?
OFT Remote, OFH, Motiv OP & FP, Perrin 3' CB & 3' IT, Setrab/MoCal cooler, STI motor mounts, Wilwood 6/4 plot F&R 12.8 kits, Brake ducts, complete Whiteline catalog, complete bushing replacement, OSGiken clutch & Diff, 4.556 FD, Stance W/Spec valving 8/9 Swift.
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #98
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,572 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Only Coilovers I think I would chose over stance are DG5s. Granted, they're nearly twice the price and they aren't located stateside... So even for that much, I'd probably just go with Stance 2-Ways

I would love the KW V3s if they came with camber plates.... I'm shocked they don't.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote