follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #57
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I actually think this is part of the problem. Damn near everyone has timing devices in their cars now even in damn DE1 sessions. There are sessions and run groups for setting fast laps, but DE sessions are not meant for that. If someone is on a fast lap or what they think is a fast lap they are not going to want to lift to let a BRZ/FR-S by. They will say to themselves, I will point by and then assume he didn't want it as I floor the throttle.
If you've given a point, you've already given up your hot lap.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
wparsons (06-19-2015), zdr93523 (06-11-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #58
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
You missed my point. When you have drivers looking to set laptimes instead of caring about watching their mirrors and executing proper point byes in a DE situation, then this is what can occur. He obviously knew you weren't going to pass him without lifting, and that way he got to finish his lap and set his laptime. I am not saying everyone does this, but I am saying that having the timing devices is part of the issue.
I understand your point and I think we are talking about two different things...

You are saying that timing devices and a desire to run "as fast as possible" contributes to poor passing/point-by ettiquette at the track.

I am saying that this type of point-by (as denoted by my video clip) is not how you should execute a point-by if you are already pointing by someone to let them pass you.

I should post the entire video from my session as a counter to your point, because I spent the rest of the session catching up to him in corners. I had to drive purposely slower as a result in several sections.

Our run group was advanced w/ point-by passing. This is not how you do point-by passing, nor should I (the passer) be the one asking the car in front of me for a pass/point-by.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
zdr93523 (06-11-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #59
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
I actually think this is part of the problem. Damn near everyone has timing devices in their cars now even in damn DE1 sessions. There are sessions and run groups for setting fast laps, but DE sessions are not meant for that. If someone is on a fast lap or what they think is a fast lap they are not going to want to lift to let a BRZ/FR-S by. They will say to themselves, I will point by and then assume he didn't want it as I floor the throttle.
I agree that it's a problem, but not related to the point by issue.

I've helped friends from the pass seat with less experience and the second a lap timer is installed they push it harder and harder and quickly run out of talent.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
swarb (06-11-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 12:30 AM   #60
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr93523 View Post
To add to that, even in open passing, I will point the guy by, well ahead of time so they know that I have acknowledged them and that's why I'm off line. If I don't have time or the area of the track prevents that, I will hold my line to not cause confusion.

Yeah I provide early point bys as well, so early that many of the older PCA guys can't even see it - or simply choose to wait.. not sure which.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
zdr93523 (06-11-2015)
Old 06-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #61
gatorac
Chin Track Event Manager

Drives: 15 Series Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pointing by and staying online is great, unless the passing car leaves you hanging.....
[ame]http://youtu.be/LwhDXPXqEdk[/ame]

We work hard in our group to teach and promote better passing. Some don't care or don't realize they have more to learn.
09 Comp Yellow NC
20 Gladiator tow vehicle.
gatorac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatorac For This Useful Post:
wparsons (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 07:46 AM   #62
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Anyone ever get black flagged for trying to take a point-by where the driver didn't lift? I had this issue my last track day running with a club that only allowed point-bys on certain straights.

- I catch up to a Miata entering a corner and stay close to signal I want a point-by.
- He gives the point-by at the start of a short (1/6 mile) straight following the corner.
- I go off-line to take it, but he doesn't lift.
- By the end of the straight, we are side-by-side entering an 80 mph turn (and me off-line on the inside).
- I can slow down to tuck behind him before the corner, but that may create more confusion.
- Normally in a pass-anywhere group I would complete the pass on the inside on corner entry, so I do that.
- Black flag (first time ever!). I explain that the Miata didn't lift, which led to us being side-by-side into the corner.
- After getting released from the pit, I just happen to come up on the same Miata in the same corner. Literally the exact same situation. I think to myself this time he will surely lift.
- Halfway down the straight I realize he is not going to lift.
- Groundhog day. Again, I don't want to hit my brakes before the corner as it would create confusion, so I complete the pass on corner entry. Black flag redux. WTF.

I will say that the Miata driver didn't seem to mind me passing on corner-entry and it seemed to work out ok given the short straight. It is a bit nerve-wracking though to try entering a high-speed corner off-line for the first time with another car directly to your side. The biggest question is whether there is enough space in front of the other car to commit to a corner speed that would necessitate a full track-out.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build

Last edited by DarkSunrise; 06-19-2015 at 07:58 AM.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #63
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Reminds me of this gem from yesterday:

I had something just as awesome happen in project cars. Got a little loose mid corner and as I was straightening out it rolled (while going straight), then flew up way in the air and just hovered spinning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Anyone ever get black flagged for trying to take a point-by where the driver didn't lift? I had this issue my last track day running with a club that only allowed point-bys on certain straights.

- I catch up to a Miata entering a corner and stay close to signal I want a point-by.
- He gives the point-by at the start of a short (1/6 mile) straight following the corner.
- I go off-line to take it, but he doesn't lift.
- By the end of the straight, we are side-by-side entering an 80 mph turn (and me off-line on the inside).
- I can slow down to tuck behind him before the corner, but that may create more confusion.
- Normally in a pass-anywhere group I would complete the pass on the inside on corner entry, so I do that.
- Black flag (first time ever!). I explain that the Miata didn't lift, which led to us being side-by-side into the corner.
- After getting released from the pit, I just happen to come up on the same Miata in the same corner. Literally the exact same situation. I think to myself this time he will surely lift.
- Halfway down the straight I realize he is not going to lift.
- Groundhog day. Again, I don't want to hit my brakes before the corner as it would create confusion, so I complete the pass on corner entry. Black flag redux. WTF.

I will say that the Miata driver didn't seem to mind me passing on corner-entry and it seemed to work out ok given the short straight. It is a bit nerve-wracking though to try entering a high-speed corner off-line for the first time with another car directly to your side. The biggest question is whether there is enough space in front of the other car to commit to a corner speed that would necessitate a full track-out.
With any of the groups I've worked with up here, it's the passing cars responsibility to complete the pass before the passing zone ends. We typically have double cones to start and triple cones to end so there's no confusion.

If you can't complete the pass before the passing zone ends, it's your job to fall back behind the car you were passing.

If it were up to me, the miata would've been black flagged as well for pointing you by then not allowing the pass.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 01:08 PM   #64
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I had something just as awesome happen in project cars. Got a little loose mid corner and as I was straightening out it rolled (while going straight), then flew up way in the air and just hovered spinning.

With any of the groups I've worked with up here, it's the passing cars responsibility to complete the pass before the passing zone ends. We typically have double cones to start and triple cones to end so there's no confusion.

If you can't complete the pass before the passing zone ends, it's your job to fall back behind the car you were passing.

If it were up to me, the miata would've been black flagged as well for pointing you by then not allowing the pass.
Very interesting to hear a different perspective/take on it. Here, there's no instruction that if the other car doesn't lift before the end of the passing zone, you should slow down and tuck behind him (that I can remember).

One thing class instructors will harp on is don't change your mind on hand gestures. So if you give a pit signal, don't change your mind and pull back onto the track. In my mind at least, another application would be, if someone gives you a point-by and you move off line to take it and don't wave it off, then you shouldn't change your mind halfway through the maneuver and try to tuck back behind him.

It does make me want to clarify what the correct rule is. The way I see it, if you've already pulled alongside or nosed in front of the car being overtaken, it would be dangerous to brake and attempt to tuck back behind him before a turn.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 06-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #65
wparsons

Garage
I would suggest it's way more dangerous to enter a turn off line, side by side, than to brake and fall in line behind them.

That said, you should know WELL ahead of the corner if you're going to make the pass or not. No one should be making that decision at the turn in point.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
OkieSnuffBox (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #66
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Very interesting to hear a different perspective/take on it. Here, there's no instruction that if the other car doesn't lift before the end of the passing zone, you should slow down and tuck behind him (that I can remember).
That is your problem right there.. you are assuming A, Miata driver is assuming B, and the track host/course workers are looking at a couple of drivers driving like idiots (to them).

While it is counter-productive to assign blame, I'd say the primary responsibility falls on the track host to communicate passing rules clearly. Then, it falls on the passing car to ensure a safe pass of the passed (?) car.

I think any competent track host will clearly outline the passing rules in the morning driver's meeting. If they don't, do everyone a favor and bring it up before the track goes hot, otherwise your guess is as good as the other person's.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (06-19-2015), strat61caster (06-19-2015)
Old 06-19-2015, 01:51 PM   #67
DarkSunrise

Quote:
I would suggest it's way more dangerous to enter a turn off line, side by side, than to brake and fall in line behind them.

That said, you should know WELL ahead of the corner if you're going to make the pass or not. No one should be making that decision at the turn in point.
On a short straight (1/6 mile), it requires trust that the driver being overtaken will lift. If he doesn't, the straight is so short that by the time you realize (as the overtaking driver) that he's really not going to lift, you're already at the braking zone.

You can never completely predict what the other driver will do, which is why I think it's stupid to black flag the overtaking driver in that scenario. If you're the driver giving a point-by on a short straight, the main responsibility should be on you to make the point-by happen by lifting once the other driver has chosen to take the pass. That's the only way a complete pass will happen on a short straight between cars within, say, 150 hp of each other. It's not like the overtaking driver can will his car to be faster, but the overtaken driver quite easily has the power to lift (and is in the best position to make the pass happen safely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
That is your problem right there.. you are assuming A, Miata driver is assuming B, and the track host/course workers are looking at a couple of drivers driving like idiots (to them).

While it is counter-productive to assign blame, I'd say the primary responsibility falls on the track host to communicate passing rules clearly. Then, it falls on the passing car to ensure a safe pass of the passed (?) car.

I think any competent track host will clearly outline the passing rules in the morning driver's meeting. If they don't, do everyone a favor and bring it up before the track goes hot, otherwise your guess is as good as the other person's.

-alex
Yeah I agree it's important to discuss this scenario during the driver's meeting or classroom.

Do appreciate the feedback everyone!

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 06-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #68
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
@mav1178 is spot on, but I'll chime in anyway

I've only been with two groups, one uptight (Hooked On Driving) and one that was scary lax (the C7 horror vid could have taken place with them). At the uptight one, I would have absolutely fallen back, they were very serious about it being a controlled environment and taking zero risks, I think it was explicitly stated to fall back in that scenario.

I carried that attitude to the lax group and stuck by it until a few minutes into the second session I was given a vigorous point by in the middle of turn 2 at Laguna... by an instructor... In a beginner's group...

I mean, we were bunched up and so far off the pace the only danger was getting rear ended but still, it changed my perspective on the group, I just went for it from then on, not full on racing but sometimes it came down to knowing I was braking so much later that the pass wasn't a challenge even though we were side by side until the brakes went on.

I'm not too fond of that group.

Quote:
Hard to KNOW when a point by pass turns into a drag race, happens a lot in an 86 with other beginner/intermediate drivers in 'Vettes Porsche's M's Mustangs etc. don't realize how much they have to back off to give the little guys a clean pass. It should be decided before the brakes get applied that's for certain.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #69
DarkSunrise

Haha excuse my awful MS Paint skills, but this is roughly the scenario I'm describing:

What ends up happening is I hug the inside line. Miata is on my rear 3/4 panel at the start of the brake zone, and tucks in behind me between the turn-in point and apex of T3. Seeing him behind me, I track out fully on exit. Black flag.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 06-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #70
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
On a short straight (1/6 mile), it requires trust that the driver being overtaken will lift. If he doesn't, the straight is so short that by the time you realize (as the overtaking driver) that he's really not going to lift, you're already at the braking zone.

You can never completely predict what the other driver will do, which is why I think it's stupid to black flag the overtaking driver in that scenario. If you're the driver giving a point-by on a short straight, the main responsibility should be on you to make the point-by happen by lifting once the other driver has chosen to take the pass. That's the only way a complete pass will happen on a short straight between cars within, say, 150 hp of each other. It's not like the overtaking driver can will his car to be faster, but the overtaken driver quite easily has the power to lift (and is in the best position to make the pass happen safely).
The blame is definitely on the driver that didn't lift as a starting point, but as the driver taking the pass it's your responsibilty to ensure you get the pass done in the passing zone safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Hard to KNOW when a point by pass turns into a drag race, happens a lot in an 86 with other beginner/intermediate drivers in 'Vettes Porsche's M's Mustangs etc. don't realize how much they have to back off to give the little guys a clean pass. It should be decided before the brakes get applied that's for certain.
It should be pretty clear well before a passing zone is over that you aren't going to make the pass.

As for tight passing zones... there are 6 passing zones on this track (2.8km, 1.75miles):
2-3
5-6
10-11
11-12
15-17
17-1