follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #99
nyc

Drives: e92m
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post

You're also missing the point that after all those mods you'd actually be faster than a cayman
I dont think many of you know much about the cayman.....You wouldn't be faster in any way. Slower in a straight line and slower around a corner. You would spend more on a brz when you upgrade it while it's sub par in every way. Just on parts alone the Cayman is cheaper. Maybe I need to post examples of what you actually get for $35k in the cayman market..... Maybe you all don't realize that when you buy tires/rims/coil overs it's gonna cost $5k for anything of real quality. Add that to the cost of a brz and you already spent more and have 130hp/tq less.
nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:19 PM   #100
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
I have read that Caymans are not track ready. I do not mean that you can't track a stock Cayman but like most cars they should be modified to cope with track work.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:22 PM   #101
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc View Post
I dont think many of you know much about the cayman.....You wouldn't be faster in any way. Slower in a straight line and slower around a corner. You would spend more on a brz when you upgrade it while it's sub par in every way. Just on parts alone the Cayman is cheaper. Maybe I need to post examples of what you actually get for $35k in the cayman market..... Maybe you all don't realize that when you buy tires/rims/coil overs it's gonna cost $5k for anything of real quality. Add that to the cost of a brz and you already spent more and have 130hp/tq less.

You're still comparing apples to oranges. Getting a cheap used Cayman is going to require maintenance while the new twin won't.

Comparing apples to apples, get a used FRS for $16K (yes they're that cheap around here).
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #102
nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I have read that Caymans are not track ready. I do not mean that you can't track a stock Cayman but like most cars they should be modified to cope with track work.
http://www.planet-9.com/987-cayman-b...-cayman-s.html
Old 09-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #103
nyc

Quote:
You're still comparing apples to oranges. Getting a cheap used Cayman is going to require maintenance while the new twin won't.

Comparing apples to apples, get a used FRS for $16K (yes they're that cheap around here).
Resale value, like I said you need to look at the entire picture. In my opinion I prefer the Cayman. Yours might be completely different
Old 09-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #104
Poodles

Quote:
Resale value, like I said you need to look at the entire picture. In my opinion I prefer the Cayman. Yours might be completely different

Mind not moving the goalpost? This is about track performance not resale.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:32 PM   #105
nyc

Quote:
Mind not moving the goalpost? This is about track performance not resale.
You should have bought a lotus then.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #106
Poodles

Quote:
You should have bought a lotus then.

Logic fallacies will get you no where...
Old 09-21-2014, 12:41 AM   #107
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I would think you could get a Cayman cheaper over there than we can get them here, so the numbers don't exactly apply outside of the US for what people are saying (as a general rule).
Motor vehicles are generally noticeably more expensive outside the US. I think Canada is an exception.

I went to the US & UK Porsche Build Your Own pages and came up with the following for a base Cayman with two options: Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV), and the Sport Suspension, which was one of two choices that had to be ordered to get PTV - the other choice was PASM, the active suspension system. Pricing was:

UK - $67,272 + $13,454 VAT (yes, 20% sales tax!) = $80,726

US - $56,150 + $5,615 (10% South Gate sales tax) = $61,765

I'll bet $0.14 that the Porsche costs more in Germany than it does in the UK. Just a wild guess, really.
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 01:05 AM   #108
Poodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Motor vehicles are generally noticeably more expensive outside the US. I think Canada is an exception.

I went to the US & UK Porsche Build Your Own pages and came up with the following for a base Cayman with two options: Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV), and the Sport Suspension, which was one of two choices that had to be ordered to get PTV - the other choice was PASM, the active suspension system. Pricing was:

I'll bet $0.14 that the Porsche costs more in Germany than it does in the UK. Just a wild guess, really.

Yeah, your taxes kill it, but I wonder how it is on the used market there.

Watching shows like Wheeler Dealers always makes me jealous what you can pick up over there for so cheap...
Old 09-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #109
dradernh

Quote:
Yeah, your taxes kill it, but I wonder how it is on the used market there.

Watching shows like Wheeler Dealers always makes me jealous what you can pick up over there for so cheap...
No, not my taxes. I live in New Hampshire, where we pride ourselves on having no sales or income taxes - you're thinking of 'Old' Hampshire, which is still in England.

If you go to the link below, you can search through 1300+ 2009-2014 UK Caymans and try and figure out if the Brits are willing to take a way bigger hit on depreciation than we are; if they are, it would be interesting to know why. I took a look at a couple and think not; however, and this is one of the more boring aspects of the P-car world, trying to equate the lists of options makes my head hurt.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/u...ice-to/1000000
Old 09-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #110
dradernh

Staying off-topic while remaining on the subject of relative cost of ownership of Caymans vs. Twins, one measure I use is to see who owns them. That is, what is their station in life: How old are they, what do they do for a living (the big one), where do they live, take their vacations, and send their kids to school, what other hobbies do they have...that sort of thing, also known as: What bracket are they in?

From the performance car perspective, my general observations regarding those criteria are that P-car owners fit between the owners of exotics and BMWs. Granted, that's a wide range, and there are many exceptions, especially in a country like ours where credit is so easy to come by, and where the cost of the car is less expensive than probably anywhere else in the world.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:01 PM   #111
jebuwh
Village Idiot

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine Manual
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:

Um...

Wrong? With the JRSC and coilovers, wheels, tires, you would most definitely be faster than a cayman.

The base has 275hp and 215tq... a twin would have that and be lighter.

Ask CSG how theirs does. ..
jebuwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #112
stonenewt

Drives: BMW 120d
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post

To get the same spec as the BRZ SE Auto I've ordered, for which my dealer is had quoted me at £23'800 or $38,786 (I believe the dealer has quoted £1200 bellow the sticker price), add to the Cayman -
Sapphire Blue Metallic
Electric folding outside mirrors
ParkAssist rear
Bi-Xenon Headlights incl. Dynamic Light System (No Bi-Xeon w/out adaptive headlights)
Porsche Entry & Drive
Porsche Doppelkupplung
Sports suspension
Porsche Torque Vectoring
2-zone automatic air conditioning
Cruise control
SportDesign steering wheel (for paddle shifting)
Sound Package Plus
with VAT & OTR costs, which seem to be £540, is £47'969 or $78,171. The closet equivalent US Porsche would be $64'360.

That's with the upgrade to the BOSE audio system because I can't find the sound package on it's own, however that offsets the fact I can't find Porsche Entree & Drive.

In terms of depreciation Caymans at hold their value much better than most similarly priced cars.
stonenewt is offline   Reply With Quote