follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
Simok

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
APG performance/bbk questions

Hi everyone. I am about to get wheels and coilovers. Eventually I want to get a bbk. I want to make sure the wheels I get will clear the bbk, WITHOUT spacers, so I want to decide on the bbk first. My car is a daily driver/canyon carver. Eventually I would love to take it to the track on weekends for road courses and or autox. Maybe very far down the line make it into a track car.

I found a company that is offering a partial sponsor ship on a company call apg performances' bbk. They are offering a front and rear kit, anodized in any color, ceramic coated and shipped for $4200, instead of the usually $5200 for just the kit.

I have never heard of this brand before and cant really find any info or reveiws on it, other then a few pics. The company says they can be found on Tsukuba time attack cars. They also said the kit will fit 17in wheels
Link to kit https://apgperformance.com/?page_id=228

Has anyone heard of them before or know of anyone running them? I sure have not. Is there another bbk that is recomended? I just saw the wildwood kit that will fit with stock wheels which unless Im wrong I figure if it clears the stock wheels it should vpear most aftermarket wheels. Or was thinking maybe the brembos off of the 2019 trd 86.
Simok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm gonna sound like a party pooper, but:

(1) there's no need for a BBK until you're doing more serious track use. stock calipers are more than adequate up to intermediate-level lapping. once you get to that point, you'll probably have a separate set of wheels just for track use. you can worry about clearance when (or if) you get to that point.

(2) even with the sponsorship discount, that's a shitload of money for calipers from an unknown company.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-02-2019), wparsons (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
ZoomZoom1

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I agree, I was looking to upgrade my breaks and gave a BBK some thought. I ended up just adding high performance break pads and SS lines.

BBK are more about heat management and or weight reduction with the two peace rotors. That being said, you could potently drop about 100 lbs of unsprung weight with the right BBK/wheel/tire set up and that's a shit load of weight.

Theres still too much travel in the break pedal, but when I stand on the break pedal it defiantly has more stopping power then stock.

Hope this helps!
ZoomZoom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:31 PM   #4
JIM THEO

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
There is a BBK that actually improves pedal feel and stopping distance without compromising brake bias, is the Prodrive 330mm brake kit that uses Alcon calipers (those used by Peugeot 306 Rally for gravel) which have smaller overall piston area than our factory front brakes, I don't know if it is heavier or lighter from the factory front brakes but worth to search for a second hand one, many companies around sell discs for this specific kit!
I clears most of the aftermarket wheels even Subaru GT/P1 17" wheels

JIM THEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:01 PM   #5
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
I'm gonna sound like a party pooper, but:

(1) there's no need for a BBK until you're doing more serious track use. stock calipers are more than adequate up to intermediate-level lapping. once you get to that point, you'll probably have a separate set of wheels just for track use. you can worry about clearance when (or if) you get to that point.

(2) even with the sponsorship discount, that's a shitload of money for calipers from an unknown company.

100% this. Keep the stock brakes, upgrade the fluid and pads. Save yourself $3500+.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #6
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Looks exactly like all the other cheap Taiwan built kits you can buy from multiple other companies/Alibaba.