follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
diss7
Banned

Drives: AE86, 2x GT86, TE27
Thanked 1,179 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
RC86 - Track hack

I've owned my GT86 for almost a year now. Over the last few months I've slowly realised that have a dual duty car is just not going to cut it.

I've purchased some things 2 or 3 times over, trying to find the best compromise between street and track. Namely, brakes, suspension, and even a supercharger.

I know the best way to make the car faster at the track. Corner speed.
What affects corner speed? Well the driver obviously, actually thats the important one. But also weight, grip, aero. Not power. Of course the same identical car, and driver, but one with more power will be quicker. But the other three will have a bigger affect.

With that in mind, I know that I can't achieve this while still keeping the car streetable.

Id started going down this road. Partial interior strip (basically B-Pillar back) removed both front seats, and put a Bride in. A couple of other bits removed and I'd easy dropped 80kg. But now its much less streetable. The straw that broke the camels back was just before Xmas I went shopping and as I lifted a bag of dog food out of the back, it caught on something; fucking dog biscuits everywhere.

For the last few months, another 86 owner and I have been considering getting a TR86 race car. (Yes, we're spoilt for choice in NZ) But a few things turned me away.
Initially, I thought the asking price was too high. I received a complete list of modifications from TNZ (basically a bill of materials) but I still felt like it was 'loaded'. Even if it wasn't, I didnt agree with some of the modification choices.
The second reason was, these cars are being sold for a one make race series. This was a big incentive in my eyes, super even field. But, the race series is almost entirely based in the North Island of NZ, I live in the South Island. Related to this, TNZ said I'm obviously free to enter which ever races I want to locally, its my car after all. However, they have imposed a mileage restriction per event. Basically, the car must have less km's that a certain amount, at each event. The reasoning being, they didnt want someones motor to loosen up quicker than someone elses. I wasnt happy with this.
The third and really the main reason that I've only realised over the past few weeks, is that I actually enjoy modifying a car myself. I enjoy the research, the late nights looking at parts, reading others impressions/reviews, discussing things with like minded individuals. Buying a pre-modded car is not appealing at all.

A good example of this, is my ae86. In 2012, it had 200whp NA. It was a fun car. One track day, the ecu malfunctioned and one injector was set to full duty. I thought I'd dropped a piston, until we noticed fuel pissing out of the extractors. I was convinced the motor needed rebuilding (despite others advising it would be ok) As I thought about rebuilding it, I accepted that I would like more power (as I wanted to get back into drifting) so then began a 12 month ground-up rebuild. Now its 400whp.

What I've realised upon reflection is that I missed all the fun of modifying the car. While I was the one that decided on the mods, it was really just a "yup lets do that and that and that" I didnt get to drive the car inbetween these mods. Now the car is completely different. While its a hoot to drive, to be honest, I'm not sure I really like it all that much. I've decided against getting back into drifting. As time goes on, I lose more and more interest in drifting. I liked it when there was 10 of us, 10 years ago, in stockish silvias with lock diffs. Now it just seems to be "Look at me". I havent decided whether to keep the ae86.

To me, modifying a car is like a road trip. Its not the destination, its the journey.

What I want to do is buy an RC86. The RC is a no fat option we are offered in NZ. I have a 'base 86' at the moment. This is already lower spec than most countries. It has 16's, aircon but not dual zone, different interior (better IMO). I got it because it was $6k less; those options it lacked weren't worth $6k to me. The RC is even lower spec. It has no AC, no stereo, corolla level seats, no LSD. But its $34k. To compare, my 86 was $42k. A GT86 is $48k. A TRD is mid 60's. A TR86 is $90k. Remember thats NZD, our dollar is weaker, prices include 15% sales tax, plus other excuses we get fed for paying more for cars.
For more info on the specs of the cars we have available, go here... http://www.the86.co.nz/86RC/
Theres a car configurator there for the 86RC. You can see my build there "Track Hack". The only option I have added is white bumpers (they come with unpainted bumpers.)

I haven't bought the car yet. Because in NZ, car manufacturers always offer special deals at the start of the year. I know there is some pressure getting put on NZ Toyota dealers to move more cars. There are some dealers now selling cars $4k under RRP. It stands to reason that there may be some deal on the RC86 coming. You don't buy the RC from a dealer, you can only get it online via Toyota direct, I presume to keep the cost down. One person has suggested to me that Toyota will most likely soon offer 1% finance on new cars. While I would rather just buy it, interest rates are higher here that elsewhere in the world atm. If I can get a car for 1% finance, I can use the money I wouldve spent in a term deposit and get more than 5%.

Any major part I've received in the last month, I have not installed on my street 86. As they are all track focussed. And, Ive been thinking of an RC seriously for about a month. I've got a fair idea what the RC needs straight away, so I'm hoarding those parts together now. I'd like to have the RC ordered in the next week or two, but I want to wait incase there is some incentive offered by Toyota.

The way I'm planning on modifying the RC is quite simple, will it achieve a quicker lap time. My local track - Ruapuna, is where I'll conduct the testing.
Standard, my gt86 was doing 1:49. With semis, BBK, and suspension that wasnt good at the track at all, I got into 1:47s, a disappointing result.

Rather than just go out a sink a shit load of money into the RC. I'm going to do it slowly. And try and do one mod at a time. And enjoy the process.

What I want to end up with is a 1:39 lap time at my local track, NA. Then, I want to use it in the South Island Endurance Series. While I could rush this process and enter the new season in 6 months, I'd rather take my time developing the car, and again, enjoing the process. The SIES is classed racing, so I'll have plenty of competition in my class.

I plan on receiving the car, and breaking it in at the track. While there seems to be a many different opinions on break-in procedures, I'm going to break it in like I would a go kart engine. Progressively adding in more load and revs, and avoiding 'coasting'. I plan on doing this for maybe 50 laps, which would equate to 250km.

After this, I'll drop the fluids and install some mods that I feel are necessary for longevity and basic track action. Specifically, a robispec radiator/oil cooler (that is apparently on the way finally) some TRD brake pads I already have. A new clutch (I have already rooted my 4th gear synchros) and while replacing the clutch I will replace the flwheel. I already have a Toda Racing clutch/flyhweel sitting here. I will also install a TRD 2 way, since the RC has an open diff. While I'm there, I'll install a 4.5FD, which I already have. I'll also then install a Whiteline Shifter bushing, as again I have it. And put my TRD brake lines on it. I'll replace all the fluids with Motul fluids. I'll do this all before I give the car any shit on the track.

While I realise that a BBK is inevitable, (I already have a Wilwood BBK on my gt86) I want to retain the stock wheels, tyres, and suspension for as long as possible. Stripping weight out of the car, gives these parts much more ability. I haven't decided if I'll strip the car before the first proper track day. I probably will. I know what a stock 86 does.

My goal is to drop 1 second per lap, per month. And get to a 1.39 in a year.
diss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to diss7 For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (01-02-2014), bestwheelbase (01-05-2014), CSG Mike (01-02-2014), DAEMANO (01-02-2014), dave77 (01-05-2014), Guff (01-13-2014), mad_sb (01-03-2014), mrk1 (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Good luck! Great plan. Now go buy the RC! LOL
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Can we help?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
diss7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Can we help?
Well, funny you should mention that.

I'm waiting for more details of your custom valves SRC teins. They're on my shortlist, along with the Cusco zero 3x.

Realistically, it's far cheaper for me to purchase Japanese parts from there direct, than via the states. That said, it's always good speaking with an English speaking supplier with track knowledge. It can be frustrating dealing with broken English and/or translators.

A local supplier wants me to use endless brakes for example, but getting information is painful. I don't like just getting told that something is the best, I'd rather make that call myself based on specs/inclusions/reviews etc.

My brakes short list is Essex Endurance, Endless custom, or Alcon. Alcon have the most support in NZ, as that's what's on the tr86, so obviously there are plenty of spares carried. But, I have talked to a couple of people, one from TRNZ, and off the record he told me he felt the tr86s were overbraked, and carrying the dead weight because of it.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
sc0urge

Drives: 2013 BRZ CBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just wanted to say great foreword and I look forward to seeing your progress. Interesting that they have RC packages-- I like how they have a "Takumi" design! Subscribed.
sc0urge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sc0urge For This Useful Post:
diss7 (01-03-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diss7 View Post
Well, funny you should mention that.

I'm waiting for more details of your custom valves SRC teins. They're on my shortlist, along with the Cusco zero 3x.

Realistically, it's far cheaper for me to purchase Japanese parts from there direct, than via the states. That said, it's always good speaking with an English speaking supplier with track knowledge. It can be frustrating dealing with broken English and/or translators.

A local supplier wants me to use endless brakes for example, but getting information is painful. I don't like just getting told that something is the best, I'd rather make that call myself based on specs/inclusions/reviews etc.

My brakes short list is Essex Endurance, Endless custom, or Alcon. Alcon have the most support in NZ, as that's what's on the tr86, so obviously there are plenty of spares carried. But, I have talked to a couple of people, one from TRNZ, and off the record he told me he felt the tr86s were overbraked, and carrying the dead weight because of it.
Don't mean to pollute the thread, but a few quick things then.

CSG spec SRCs are still under development; we won't release until we're ready.

Cusco 3 ways are usually Showa dampers. Good stuff.

If you're staying NA, use the Sprint. If you're going FI, use Endurance. We're going with the Endurance on our 2014 BRZ.

If you need info and impressions on pads, just tag me in the post with the question, and I'll answer to the best of my ability; I've tried quite a few, although the vast majority are on other platforms, I know how the compounds feel relative to the compounds I've tried on several platforms.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
diss7 (01-03-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 PM   #7
mrk1

Drives: Sterling BRZ Ltd
Thanked 1,389 Times in 671 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by diss7 View Post

To me, modifying a car is like a road trip. Its not the destination, its the journey.
This one of the best quotes I've ever read, couldn't agree more.

GT28RS - eBoost2 - 3.91 Final Drive - Supra LSD
mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrk1 For This Useful Post:
diss7 (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 02:04 AM   #8
diss7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc0urge View Post
Just wanted to say great foreword and I look forward to seeing your progress. Interesting that they have RC packages-- I like how they have a "Takumi" design! Subscribed.
Those packages are just designs anyone has put together. You can use the configurator, add the parts you want, and save the design.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
dave77
Big Member

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Interesting to read about those different 86 models in NZ. The TR86 sounds awesome.
dave77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dave77 For This Useful Post:
diss7 (01-05-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
1) I love the base 86 you bought.
2) RC track hack is gonna be super fun. I'm bummed it's not even offered in the United States.
3) Subscribed for developments in the coming year.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
diss7 (05-19-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
stevo_12v

Drives: Mazda MX-6 Turbo, Toyota GTS86 37J
Garage
I'm jealous. I wish Australia received the RC. Subbed.
The Following User Says Thank You to stevo_12v For This Useful Post:
diss7 (01-25-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 12:02 AM   #12
phastafrican

Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Very good idea. Great job on the site design as well. Will be keeping an eye on the progress of this.
phastafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phastafrican For This Useful Post:
diss7 (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
diss7
Banned

Also, I did more research on the RC, which is bloody hard to do, because dealers don't have them, so you can't just go look at one.
They supposedly have solid front discs, which doesn't bother me.
No ac obviously.
No sound insulation (which is awesome, means I dont have to remove it)
Gearbox ratios are the same, but 3.7FD. Clearly an attempt by toyota to slow the RC down to your typical person, to encourage them into a full fat model.
No mirror in the sun visor. No intake manifold cover. No boot floor trim. No bonnet underside panel.
No head unit or speakers (or wiring for it)

That's all I can think of, off the top of my head.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
Juvenile

Drives: 86 GTS
Thanked 1,430 Times in 417 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
More pics, waaayyyyy more pics
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote