follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #4817
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post
Is the tune (guessing via OFT) minimally invasive? Any traceability?

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

With the oft you have the option to flash back to stock when you head Into the dealer. That way it's less likely that the dealer will notice anything wrong.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:50 AM   #4818
Tenthousanddays

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenthousanddays View Post
Yeah... This is awesome. I've read through all 216 pages of this, even the flaming .

Anyway, I was looking into doing something like this on my last vehicle (2011 Honda CRZ, which I sold about 3 weeks ago, and bought the BRZ the same day) while incorporating a system from a friendly engineer who helped me and several fellow students work on transforming a crappy Plymouth Neon into a Hybrid using his super efficient electric motors. It was several years ago when we toured his shop, but i distinctly remember him mentioning applications of his motors on Superchargers and Turbochargers. I recently got in contact with him with regards to helping develop something for the CRZ, and I got this wonderful picture in return:

The system above uses his high speed brush-less motor and controllers in conjunction with a Borg-Warner S200. I'm pretty curious about the blower and motor specs which Rob uses in the Phantom.

Definitely want to get on this "bandwagon", and am definitely interested in working with Rob and Dan from "eCycle" (manufacture of the above turbo) in developing something even more awesome!

Thoughts?
Nobody?

Just curious what kind of electric motor and controller this uses, as I'm interested in what kind of gains would be possible with a different motor (the one mentioned above...)
Tenthousanddays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #4819
shif7i7down
Erected Member

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Nobody?

Just curious what kind of electric motor and controller this uses, as I'm interested in what kind of gains would be possible with a different motor (the one mentioned above...)
Of course we're interested in different variety of esc to choose from but i think it's because
CLASSIFIEDS RULES.
NO THREAD CRAPPING - DO NOT go into a member's for sale thread and post off-topic or critical comments or try to sell your own item in another member's classifieds threads. DO NOT go into a sponsor's classifieds thread and do the same. These threads are protected from any mention of other competing products, complaints, criticisms. There is a vendors' feedback forum for such purposes.
shif7i7down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #4820
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Nobody?

Never heard of them. By looking at the website it looks like they got a lot of different ideas cooking but no empirical data or facts about the SC system.

To my knowledge Rob and Phantom are the first ones to hit mass market with a low cost option with modest gains.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
yohan04 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #4821
shif7i7down
Erected Member

I may be wrong, but just saying
Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #4822
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shif7i7down View Post
Of course we're interested in different variety of esc to choose from but i think it's because
CLASSIFIEDS RULES.
NO THREAD CRAPPING - DO NOT go into a member's for sale thread and post off-topic or critical comments or try to sell your own item in another member's classifieds threads. DO NOT go into a sponsor's classifieds thread and do the same. These threads are protected from any mention of other competing products, complaints, criticisms. There is a vendors' feedback forum for such purposes.
That applies to classified threads. People talk plenty about other forums of fi in these build threads.

We like to keep it on topic with Phantom though as people that are watching and waiting get uninterested when there is meaningless banter back and forth.

fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #4823
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
That applies to classified threads. People talk plenty about other forums of fi in these build threads.

We like to keep it on topic with Phantom though as people that are watching and waiting get uninterested when there is meaningless banter back and forth.

There is an open source ESC thread... that would probably be the better place for discussion of other options.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41148
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #4824
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Nobody?

It's hard to comment on something that we have no knowledge (but that doesn't seem to stop some people). As Robwbright has pointed out, the open source thread is the place for that conversation, this thread is about the Phantom system.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #4825
robwbright

Looking through the description/details of the ESC, I see this:

"The throttle switch is configured to activate during wide open throttle (WOT)... The bracket can be adjusted to change the position when the supercharger is activated. Most users pick a position between 80 and 100 percent throttle."

Isn't 80% throttle different from WOT?

What are the real world advantages/disadvantages to activation at 80% vs. activation at 100%?

Thanks!
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
Old 04-29-2014, 11:29 AM   #4826
shif7i7down
Erected Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwbright View Post

"The throttle switch is configured to activate during wide open throttle (WOT)... The bracket can be adjusted to change the position when the supercharger is activated. Most users pick a position between 80 and 100 percent throttle."

What are the real world advantages/disadvantages to activation at 80% vs. activation at 100%?

Thanks!
Responds time ? Turbo lag lol
Old 04-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #4827
Tenthousanddays

Holy crap... sorry... wasn't trying to offend anyone, considering the immense amount of BS in this thread I didn't think discussing another idea for powering the blower as spam.

I think you're a bit confused on where I'm coming from. I WANT this system! I want to buy one! But I'm also interested in helping to make it better.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:37 AM   #4828
Tenthousanddays

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Never heard of them. By looking at the website it looks like they got a lot of different ideas cooking but no empirical data or facts about the SC system.

To my knowledge Rob and Phantom are the first ones to hit mass market with a low cost option with modest gains.

I think he sells mainly to industrial applications, nothing really "mass market". I really like the looks of the Phantom system, great price point - and nice gains! I've been eyeing up ESC's for a while now, and having just purchased a BRZ and finding out there's a system already developed for it is super exciting! I'm definitely getting on the list to buy one.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:05 PM   #4829
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwbright View Post

Thanks!
Rob, 80% throttle position is approximately where the throttle plate is wide open. I've had two switches, my first opened around 70% throttle position, and the one I have now opens at 80%. I much preferred the 70% activation and will make the necessary bends. I find access to the install/uninstall of the throttle position unpleasant. My 51 year old body just doesn't bend like it use to.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in NJ For This Useful Post:
robwbright (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 12:12 PM   #4830
robwbright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
Rob, 80% throttle position is approximately where the throttle plate is wide open. I've had two switches, my first opened around 70% throttle position, and the one I have now opens at 80%. I much preferred the 70% activation and will make the necessary bends. I find access to the install/uninstall of the throttle position unpleasant. My 51 year old body just doesn't bend like it use to.
Thanks, Gary.

I guess what I'm getting at is WHY did you prefer 70% as opposed to 80% or 100%? How does the car and/or ESC act differently?

I don't have any idea how the switch adjusts... I suppose that will become clear when the kit arrives.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive