follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 AM   #1303
Rich1

Drives: Cadillac DeVille DHS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle View Post
I'm about to take delivery of my FR-S next week. Care to give us a VIN#? Wondering if cars with recent build dates are still having this issue.
+1

I just got my FRS VIN yesterday 710xxx build 09/12...This is after waiting 3+ months!

Saw some 7096xx on the list... Most on the list are 7xxxxx it seems.

Wondering if the factory is using the fixed ECU already or are they doing more "in field" testing on all our cars?
Rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #1304
Rich1

Drives: Cadillac DeVille DHS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cade01 View Post
This sounds like something spewed straight from a dealership Read the whole thread and ALL of the posts, then maybe you might retract some of what you say. Most of the people who have posted on their cars behalf are avid enthusiasts. When your car stall to the point of being dangerous in traffic, it's time to either move on or get a new car. When it spends more time in a service center than in your possession due to malfunction it's time to do the same.
+1

Enthusiast or not...first year or not...there's a basic principle that paying hard earned cash for a car should get you a fully functioning vehicle as well as piece of mind especially for reliability when you're driving it. This is what Toyota and Subaru brands are built upon.

My heart goes out to all of you experiencing the issue - its really tough not to be able to enjoy what you originally bought the car for and a hassle to keep spending time on fixes.
Rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich1 For This Useful Post:
Cade01 (10-07-2012), eurospeed (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #1305
sho220

Drives: FR-S MT & FJ Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_g View Post
I absolutely DESPISE driving a loaner vehicle.

Rob
Beats driving a rental paid for out-of-pocket...

sho220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #1306
Sean K.

Drives: 2008 Lotus Elise SC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_g View Post
Uhm, for some of us with the CEL our cars have actually stalled and also run very poorly at times. That is kind of hard to ignore if you can't drive the car because of that. You are making light of a situation that for some is a hell of a lot more than just a simple dash light coming on.

Rob
Exactly.....that entire post is written like someone trying to protect their investment.
Sean K. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sean K. For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (10-07-2012), ftc~brz (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #1307
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
When I read people were letting mechanics tear their motors apart, I basically said thats insane and wait it out (go back and read what I posted when.) I'm pretty sure I said it would be a reflash...
As others have quoted, YOU really need to take the time to reread the entire 60 pages of this thread. Within you'll discover cars that were fixed with new ECU's and reflashes and cars that were'nt. Cars that were fixed with new parts and cars that were'nt. And get this, your find cars with new parts AND new code that are still broke.

Logically the problems with this being an just ECU fix are problematic because of all gaps in reasoning; for example the millage in which this problem occurs are ALL over board. If its an adaptive thing shouldn't the fault cluster somewhere after the 100 mile mark when the computer stops "learning" who I am or the 1000 mile mark when most of us who have followed our break-ins actually start driving our cars for real.

Besides all of that, after Toyota anylized the data stream comming from my ECU they insisted on the engine repairers and refused to replace the ECU. One day and 100 very hard miles later the car's at 100%. All physical parts, no change to ECU

Quote:
I really think people have been over-reacting to this whole thing, including the dealers. If you bought the car stick with it avoid the DEALER. Trying to get out from under it with the Lemon law or whatever is just stupid.
1) In situations like this one the dealer is you're friend, not you enemy. Toyota/Subaru isnt going repair or reflash anything, you local dealer is. And when the customer service situation gets bad it's the calls comming from the GM's and the Owners that make the difference.

2) The point of Lemon Laws are to expose manufactures financially when their products become a nuisance to dealers and the end customers buying them. Generally everyone I have spoken to privately about turning their cars into tart citrus fruits are the ones who have been waiting weeks and weeks for parts and reliable repair. Either you have the paitence of a saint or the intelligence of a round worm if you're personally ok with keeping a car that would have gone anywhere near those thresholds within the first 12 months and or 12k miles.

Quote:
If the CEL isn't blinking IGNORE it. Its a brand new freakin platform wait till the infrastructure is in place.
(I don't have polite words for this one so I'm just going to move on...)

Quote:
This car is a success, but people over-reacting will destroy it like ever other time something new and creative hits the market. Its no wonder the good cars don't make it to the US. This is a perfect example of why.
This comment is the real entire message. I think you're angry with us.

Emotions here are real and useful. I don't think as whole we're overly demanding, inpatient, or filled with hubris and sense of intitlement. We just want our cars to work and when they break we want to understand why.

Does going to the press threaten the success of the FT86 platform cars? Yes, it does.

Did we, the paying customer, get any offical acknowledgement of the problem from Toyota/Subaru without going to the press? No, we didn't.

Do I believe that Toyota/Subaru has fully and truthfully explained this problem to the press and public? No, I don't.

Do I love to own and drive my Asphalt FR-S? Yes I do.

(My name is @Art_Mighty and I approve this message)

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
Cade01 (10-07-2012), eurospeed (10-07-2012), ftc~brz (10-07-2012), Jar (10-07-2012), STEVEOSTI (10-08-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #1308
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86BRZ View Post
Better yet, let's start a new discussion thread: Sex in BRZ.:happyanim

(just want to have good laugh on this frustrated CEL thing, no offend)
In the Australia section in ft86club.com they have been having a very uh, robust conversation on the topic.

How to have sex in your 86

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn

Last edited by @Art_Mighty; 10-07-2012 at 11:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
86BRZ (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #1309
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc~brz View Post
Congrats art mighty on getting her back! I'm driving mine like that till she goes back in the shop Monday.
Thank you!

I hope yours gets sorted out soon, I'm at the edge of my seat to hear the next chapter in you saga...

ftc~brz (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #1310
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
As others have quoted, YOU really need to take the time to reread the entire 60 pages of this thread. Within you'll discover cars that were fixed with new ECU's and reflashes and cars that were'nt. Cars that were fixed with new parts and cars that were'nt. And get this, your find cars with new parts AND new code that are still broke.

Logically the problems with this being an just ECU fix are problematic because of all gaps in reasoning; for example the millage in which this problem occurs are ALL over board. If its an adaptive thing shouldn't the fault cluster somewhere after the 100 mile mark when the computer stops "learning" who I am or the 1000 mile mark when most of us who have followed our break-ins actually start driving our cars for real.

Besides all of that, after Toyota anylized the data stream comming from my ECU they insisted on the engine repairers and refused to replace the ECU. One day and 100 very hard miles later the car's at 100%. All physical parts, no change to ECU

1) In situations like this one the dealer is you're friend, not you enemy. Toyota/Subaru isnt going repair or reflash anything, you local dealer is. And when the customer service situation gets bad it's the calls comming from the GM's and the Owners that make the difference.

2) The point of Lemon Laws are to expose manufactures financially when their products become a nuisance to dealers and the end customers buying them. Generally everyone I have spoken to privately about turning their cars into tart citrus fruits are the ones who have been waiting weeks and weeks for parts and reliable repair. Either you have the paitence of a saint or the intelligence of a round worm if you're personally ok with keeping a car that would have gone anywhere near those thresholds within the first 12 months and or 12k miles.

(I don't have polite words for this one so I'm just going to move on...)

This comment is the real entire message. I think you're angry with us.

Emotions here are real and useful. I don't think as whole we're overly demanding, inpatient, or filled with hubris and sense of intitlement. We just want our cars to work and when they break we want to understand why.

Does going to the press threaten the success of the FT86 platform cars? Yes, it does.

Did we, the paying customer, get any offical acknowledgement of the problem from Toyota/Subaru without going to the press? No, we didn't.

Do I believe that Toyota/Subaru has fully and truthfully explained this problem to the press and public? No, I don't.

Do I love to own and drive my Asphalt FR-S? Yes I do.

(My name is @Art_Mighty and I approve this message)
did this guy just really say we let them tear our motors apart? LET THEM???
you don't have a choice in the matter when your car is broken and you bring it in for service and SOA tells you that you can't drive it and that replacing the parts the codes are showing IS the fix...even though you the owner feels violated...

this is just someone in a civic baiting us...
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #1311
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc~brz View Post
did this guy just really say we let them tear our motors apart? LET THEM???

this is just someone in a civic baiting us...
Yup, and I fell for it. Still it got my blood pumping this morning...

ftc~brz (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #1312
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
+1

I just got my FRS VIN yesterday 710xxx build 09/12...This is after waiting 3+ months!

Wondering if the factory is using the fixed ECU already or are they doing more "in field" testing on all our cars?

1) It is my understanding that, when they supersede or revise a part, they institute the change on the assembly line in the factory before sending parts out to existing customers, but I have no expert knowledge in this area.

2) Who said they were doing in field testing? If you are angry, be angry, but don't muddy the waters with incendiary language.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #1313
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Yup, and I fell for it. Still it got my blood pumping this morning...
yeah one of "those guys" got me on the motor trend story. If you read the comments, you'll know which are mine.

I was livid for half that day
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ftc~brz For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #1314
AsianStyle

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cade01 View Post
Look At The List, It Has Been Organized ANd The Two Types Of Cars Separated.
I think you missed my point. I have looked at the list, but the list contains several members without any VIN. Toyota/Subaru are stating that the issue is just an ECU issue. If that is the case we should see a cut-off in the near future and the only new VINs that show up should be older cars. However, if future CEL issue members fail to post a VIN the value of the list is diminished and it just becomes a list to get total counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
+1

Yea, my car has a VIN of 7099xx build is 08/12. Dealer states that all cars with a build date in late July should have the fix and not have this issue.

I know people here who have gotten their ECU/hard parts fixed have gotten the issue again, but it is nice to hope that at least at the factory Toyota/Subaru have a fix that works.

Last edited by AsianStyle; 10-07-2012 at 01:49 PM.
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #1315
Jar

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I've have time to post in this thread a few times.

I had been waiting for years buy a car like this.

Found this thread when I threw a CEL 20 miles into a 200 mile drive home from the only dealer I could find with an FR-S.

When I read people were letting mechanics tear their motors apart, I basically said thats insane and wait it out (go back and read what I posted when.) I'm pretty sure I said it would be a reflash fix.

I guess the dealer is too far for me so I did my own 1000 mile service today (finally got a day off work.)

Turns out my CEL was just a MAP sensor which is nothing.

Now I went over the engine pretty well this weekend. Its an amazing engine for a $25k car.

I really think people have been over-reacting to this whole thing, including the dealers. If you bought the car stick with it avoid the DEALER. Trying to get out from under it with the Lemon law or whatever is just stupid.

If the CEL isn't blinking IGNORE it. Its a brand new freakin platform wait till the infrastructure is in place.

This car is a success, but people over-reacting will destroy it like ever other time something new and creative hits the market.

Its no wonder the good cars don't make it to the US. This is a perfect example of why.

My car doesn't need a state emmisions sticker till labor day 2013, at that time I will take it to the dealer. They will do what is needed and I will get a new sticker.

The rest of you who bought the car and changed their mind or panicked/whatever need to sell the car to someone who appreciates it.
Yes, leave the light on and enjoy your fantastic new ride in limp mode.
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jar For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #1316
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Drives: Mint M3
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So one of the articles talked about how Toyota wanted to replace ECU's while Subaru wanted to Reflash, but Toyota mentioned that the first 100 miles determine driver style and sets parameters correct? So how does break in change this impression on the ECU? If the car is driven lightly, what does this tell the ECU?
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote