follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #295
h4nh

Drives: Turbo BRZ & Supercharged E90 M3
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerkid08 View Post
mine leaks, but its afterthe downpipe, so i just live with it for now. i don't wanna go tooling around on it for now. Life is just too hectic. It's not bad, but its always leaked there, either it or the nameless op/fp is not flat.

hmmmm....

As for your license, they don't come with licenses, you buy that separately. The cable is one price, and it is another, so you can only buy a tune and load it with a rental cable, and then go about your way, or you can invest in both.
I paid for cable and license. That's what it says on the invoice.

I am not going to just live with an exhaust leak. I paid for a kit that claimed to be "well designed" which is why I chose this kit.
h4nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:15 AM   #296
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
I thought the kit was a good deal at first.. supposedly you get everything to get it to run properly for 4400 msrp. It says it comes with a supplied dongle to run the base map on the car.. there was no dongle and the ecutek cable cost another 1000$
That price totally doesn't sound like you get the ecutek license and cable.
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:31 AM   #297
h4nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
That price totally doesn't sound like you get the ecutek license and cable.

Price isn't an issue. They should have clarified things when they list the kit that it comes with everything needed to get it running right.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:39 AM   #298
h4nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco_PR23 View Post
Thanks, I had to asked because when I tried it, it didn't want to go in then I compared both and the new part seem a bit bigger ... I will try it again another time.

I did used the one that David posted a while ago, I think it is an STi gasket. Anyways, I have to check because when the car is cold it sounds loud but once it gets warm/hot it changes to normal.

Thanks again.
The new gasket that connects to the over pipe is bigger and the bolt pattern doesn't line up. I had to reuse the oem one.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:42 AM   #299
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
Price isn't an issue. They should have clarified things when they list the kit that it comes with everything needed to get it running right.
It says that you must buy license/cable separately, did you specifically order the license and the cable?
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:47 AM   #300
h4nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
It says that you must buy license/cable separately, did you specifically order the license and the cable?

Yes I ended up buying the cable that supposedly comes with a license. Here's the invoice.

Software says 0 license available.
The Following User Says Thank You to h4nh For This Useful Post:
s2d4 (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #301
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Sorry guys, I've been at SEMA all week. In regards to the kit/ecutek, was that bought directly through us or through one of our distributors? Because we've always been fairly specific that we provide only the ecutec base map for free for the kit, and that the cable and dongle are a separate fee. Sometimes our distributors don't always spell that out clearly. Plus the cable/license are only $795 through us.
You have to use a breaker bar to get the exhaust manifold off initially, that means it needs to be torqued back on quite well to make sure it doesn't leak.
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AVOturboworld For This Useful Post:
CxG (08-03-2015)
Old 11-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #302
AVOturboworld

If a flange at the engine side warps at high boost, possibly ignition timing has been retarded too much, and EGTs are so high it's warping them. If you look at that 350whp graph in another thread, it was achieved by raising ign timing and lowering boost, keeping EGTs at an acceptable level. It's an na motor, and was set up for higher ign timing, it can't be tuned like it's a low comp sti turbo motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to AVOturboworld For This Useful Post:
CxG (08-03-2015)
Old 11-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #303
h4nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOturboworld View Post
Sorry guys, I've been at SEMA all week. In regards to the kit/ecutek, was that bought directly through us or through one of our distributors? Because we've always been fairly specific that we provide only the ecutec base map for free for the kit, and that the cable and dongle are a separate fee. Sometimes our distributors don't always spell that out clearly. Plus the cable/license are only $795 through us.
You have to use a breaker bar to get the exhaust manifold off initially, that means it needs to be torqued back on quite well to make sure it doesn't leak.
Quote:
If a flange at the engine side warps at high boost, possibly ignition timing has been retarded too much, and EGTs are so high it's warping them. If you look at that 350whp graph in another thread, it was achieved by raising ign timing and lowering boost, keeping EGTs at an acceptable level. It's an na motor, and was set up for higher ign timing, it can't be tuned like it's a low comp sti turbo motor.

Yes it was purchased through one of your dealers. It shows zero license. Anyways, we can sort it out through email.

The header leak was immediate.. I think it should be fixable. Not happy that it's something I have to mess with after installing it since all the oil/ coolant lines have been ran.

Are the gaskets to the flanges T3 size? I'll try to remove them without taking the whole assembly off.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #304
AVOturboworld

Before you remove the manifold, retighten all bolts and make sure they are torqued down very well. It's always suggested to do that after a heat cycle or two. Gaskets at turbo side are Garrett t25.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #305
h4nh

Quote:
Before you remove the manifold, retighten all bolts and make sure they are torqued down very well. It's always suggested to do that after a heat cycle or two. Gaskets at turbo side are Garrett t25.

They're torqued down well. Check them 3 times. Used an inspection mirror next to the header to engine block flange and it fogged up while the engine was running so I can tell that's where it's coming out of.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:01 AM   #306
AVOturboworld

Also send the basemap enquiry to me at the paul@avoturboworld.com email address. Check to make sure you have the bracket at the end of the exhaust manifold is done up to the block correctly. Ecutek has been at SEMA as well, may be reason for the delay in license update.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:13 AM   #307
h4nh

Quote:
Also send the basemap enquiry to me at the paul@avoturboworld.com email address. Check to make sure you have the bracket at the end of the exhaust manifold is done up to the block correctly. Ecutek has been at SEMA as well, may be reason for the delay in license update.

Yes, I've removed that bolt from the block and replaced it with the longer bolt supplied with the kit. The instructions were not clear on that. Pretty much it was out of order. After I mounted the headers then the instructions said to remove that bolt. So then I had to pull the whole assembly off again.

I pretty much have a basemap already I paid a local ecutek dealer for it. My software just shows zero license. Isn't it supposed to have 1?
Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #308
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I think most people reporting an exhaust leak have noticed it on first startup. It has not been using the car, running high boost and then noticing a leak. I noticed mine right on first startup.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avo, avoturboworld