follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How hard to replace BRZ Nav with aftermarket Nav?

So after watching F1point4's hands-on video of the Nav unit, I have to say I'm very concerned about the quality and functionality of the unit. It took forever to register his touch inputs and frequently screwed up the commands. Here's the thread for reference: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5732

The Nav/Stereo unit was one of the big things that justified the upgrade from the Scion to the Subaru for me. (I also like the front end of the Subie better and the WRB color as well). So, I'll be quite dissapointed with Subaru if I find out that the nav unit is junk.

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to swap out the OEM unit and repalce with a Kenwood or Pioneer unit? I've heard the Pioneer AVIC units are really good.

I've done some preliminary searches on the topic of replacing a OEM NAV unit with an aftermarket and I've read that there are usually a couple issues.

Apparently you lose the functionality of steering wheel controls unless you buy a special controller. This is not an issue since the BRZ has no steering wheel controls.

Apparently you lose the backup camera functionality.. again not an issue as the BRZ has no backup cam. But, since aftermarket units often come with back up cam, I could now add that feature.

I guess you may lose the OEM bluetooth microphone, but this is a small issue since you can easily run the aftermarket mic to the back of the rearview mirror.. easy fix.

Would I be correct in assuming that the installation should be very easy? I guess it's challenging to install a NAV unit in a car that did not have it already because you need to tap into a number of dash wires like speed sensor, reverse, e-brake, etc.. But since the BRZ OEM already links in, shouldn't it be nearly plug and play?

Any idea if the stock unit has a pre-out for a trunk mount subwoofer? I'm thinking Infinity Basslink would be a nice unit for this car.. decent sound, low price, small size.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer!
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,965 Times in 11,387 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikond View Post
...Would I be correct in assuming that the installation should be very easy? I guess it's challenging to install a NAV unit in a car that did not have it already because you need to tap into a number of dash wires like speed sensor, reverse, e-brake, etc.. But since the BRZ OEM already links in, shouldn't it be nearly plug and play?
I'm no aftermarket NAV expert, so I could be totally off base here, but why would you need to hook into any of that for NAV? Really the only thing you should need specifically for NAV is the GPS antenna. The unit as a whole made need some of that for other functions.

Also, on the OEM microphone, I would think you would be able to tap into that as well.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Scooby

Drives: Audi A5 Coupe
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Most likely the only "difficult" part is finding a plug and play wire harness converter which companies like Crutchfield should have available soon enough. There is a small chance that the Pioneer wiring harness plugs right into the cars' but that's no guarantee. Try and find out how that is in other Subaru models, chances are they are the same.

Second item of attention is depth clearance. Most likely not a problem since most of these 2din units are about the same size (dictated by the big front end and the depth of the cd mechanism) but you better test it before making the final purchase.
Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I'm no aftermarket NAV expert, so I could be totally off base here, but why would you need to hook into any of that for NAV? Really the only thing you should need specifically for NAV is the GPS antenna. The unit as a whole made need some of that for other functions.

Also, on the OEM microphone, I would think you would be able to tap into that as well.
Good point about the NAV antenna.. .I didn't think about that one. Any idea if you can wire the aftermarket unit into the OEM Nav Antenna?

Regarding the other wiring...
From crutchfield's website:

VSS
If the VSS wire is not hooked up, the navigation system will not realize that the car is moving at all, and will be unable to track position. (VSS is Vehicle Speed Sensor)

Reverse Signal
Many systems also connect to the vehicle's reverse (or back-up light) signal wire — this connection tells the navigation system when the vehicle is traveling in reverse. If this wire is not hooked up, then the vehicle direction will not track properly, and the navigation system won't be able to do its job.

It didn't say so specifically, but I think you also have to wire into the handbrake somehow. I believe NAV units will not display video unless the handbrake is applied. And if there is no handbrake "on" signal, then these units will not display video at all. (I know people frequently bypass this safety feature).
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,965 Times in 11,387 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Good point about the NAV antenna.. .I didn't think about that one. Any idea if you can wire the aftermarket unit into the OEM Nav Antenna?
Don't know the answer to that, but I would think so. Haven't seen the BRZ to look at the GPS antenna.

Quote:
...VSS
If the VSS wire is not hooked up, the navigation system will not realize that the car is moving at all, and will be unable to track position. (VSS is Vehicle Speed Sensor)
Well, the NAV system SHOULD know the car is moving the same way a portable one does. It just may not know the indicated speed, but it could do the math just like any portable unit. I suppose the unit may be programmed not to function without this though, same with..

Quote:
Reverse Signal
Many systems also connect to the vehicle's reverse (or back-up light) signal wire — this connection tells the navigation system when the vehicle is traveling in reverse. If this wire is not hooked up, then the vehicle direction will not track properly, and the navigation system won't be able to do its job.
Sounds like on this one it just means the position will be accurate but the unit won't know you are leading with your tail (again, just like a portable unit).

Quote:
It didn't say so specifically, but I think you also have to wire into the handbrake somehow. I believe NAV units will not display video unless the handbrake is applied. And if there is no handbrake "on" signal, then these units will not display video at all. (I know people frequently bypass this safety feature).
True, for video, but it should still function for NAV, which has to function with the handbrake off to be of any use. I wasn't considering other video sources since I would never use that anyway.

Like mentioned above, I'd be tempted to just wait until Crutchfield or others come up with a harness rather than trying to do this myself.

Last edited by Dadhawk; 05-07-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Its going to be easy to swap it out with aftermarket. Just have somebody do it for you at a good shop.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
Spd229

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'm actually curious as to how much of the wiring is shared with most of toyota's (or scion's) models already.

Given that the standard double din unit is found in the other scion vehicles, I don't see why the wiring would be all too different in the fr-s or brz.

Granted I've been searching with this idea in mind, I could be pretty far off base.

Figure a basic harness is all you really need, and should match up with those in '12 scions. Of course, I'll be waiting until I get my car to find out.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Swapping it out should be easy. This isn't a Bose unit with their funky proprietary wiring and amp layout. Worse case is you have to bypass the factory amp but i'm pretty sure folks like Metra can make a wiring harness for a plug-n-play install.

What would be very cool and also very useful on track days is if an aftermarket headunit can display OBD2 readouts. Something like this.

or even better display something like what the GT-R can display. The OBD2 data is all there. It just needs to be read and displayed.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
FutureFT86

Drives: 13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
im actually looking for something like that ^^^^^ to display gauges like in the GT-R

Anyone know of units able to do that?
FutureFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
2 threads down

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6534

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote