follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2014, 03:10 AM   #57
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
It sounds like poopra just has a shit load of heat.

@Reaper, @jsimon7777
You guys bring up some good points. I'll be trying an air-oil cooler in a few days... we'll see how that goes!
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #58
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivsoopra View Post

@Reaper, @jsimon7777
You guys bring up some good points. I'll be trying an air-oil cooler in a few days... we'll see how that goes!
Air to Oil cooler failed. dun dun dun
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sw20kosh For This Useful Post:
mkivsoopra (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #59
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
yup. need a bigger oil pan and a hole saw. are you running factory fans?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #60
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
For Sale: Full Complete Laminova Setup used for only 2 weeks.

Yes, it comes with everything you need already pre assembled onto the laminova core. Just remove your stock lower radiator hose. Install the core (that has the hose connections already one it) and connect up the oil lines to the supplied Robisepec Sandwich plate and go. Done.

PM me for details. Selling it for $425 shipped. Keep in mind you will pay 450 for the core + lines + fittings, without sandwich plate.

Thanks.

Disclaimer: Does not work on a tracked turbo setup. (if you are planning to do track events like HPDE or drive very hard on back mountain roads in 100 deg heat with your turbo BRZ/FRS this setup will not be sufficient to keep oil temps below 260 deg F). Even the perrin 13 row setrab oil-air cooler was not sufficient to keep temps below 260 deg F on track in 100+ deg weather. Will work more than adequately on a NA or Supercharged brz/frs. Turbo's just generate too much heat into the oil AND coolant.
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #61
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
you need to run 2 small oil coolers. and cut your cowl like me.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #62
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Did anyone log coolant temps with this cooler, at least N/A or S/C'd? I've read through this thread some more and didn't really consider coolant temps.
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #63
calispec

Drives: Subaru BRZ with Delicious Innovate
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsurety View Post
Did anyone log coolant temps with this cooler, at least N/A or S/C'd? I've read through this thread some more and didn't really consider coolant temps.
I logged a similar setup. First post on this page. I'll have this cooler and a factory radiator installed soon. Track day to follow. I'll make sure to post it back up here when I have the data. Innovate supercharger.
The Following User Says Thank You to calispec For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (09-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #64
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
you need to run 2 small oil coolers. and cut your cowl like me.
Do you have a post with details on your oil cooler setup ?
It seems that there is still nothing out there that will work on the track with a forced induction engine. I am surprised nobody is offering a larger oil cooler or a sandwich plate setup but much larger in size.

ideal would be a dedicated liquid to liquid oil cooler, but I have not seen that yet.
philooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #65
calispec

Garage
I forgot to log the track day but during a 20 minute session at nelsons ledges on a 80 degree day.
Max oil temp 240
Max coolant 215

Innovate supercharger
60mm pulley
Intercooled
250whp
OEM radiator

I am pretty happy with the result.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calispec For This Useful Post:
sw20kosh (09-16-2014), unsurety (09-15-2014)
Old 03-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #66
Tomcat07

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calispec View Post
I forgot to log the track day but during a 20 minute session at nelsons ledges on a 80 degree day.
Max oil temp 240
Max coolant 215

Innovate supercharger
60mm pulley
Intercooled
250whp
OEM radiator

I am pretty happy with the result.
I'm going supercharged soon and I track my car. I am considering this setup because I don't want to put my air/oil radiator in front of the edelbrock intercooler, which mounts against the front of the radiator. How has your setup continued to perform since this thread was active?

Did you say you have this threads setup? Or just a similar one?

Is the reason that cooling is more effective on supercharged cars because scavenged oil from the turbo adds extra exhaust heat into the system that the supercharger doesn't add? I'm expecting more heat than NA obviously, but I want to make sure it's adequate for track duty.
Tomcat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:40 PM   #67
calispec

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat07 View Post
I'm going supercharged soon and I track my car. I am considering this setup because I don't want to put my air/oil radiator in front of the edelbrock intercooler, which mounts against the front of the radiator. How has your setup continued to perform since this thread was active?

Did you say you have this threads setup? Or just a similar one?

Is the reason that cooling is more effective on supercharged cars because scavenged oil from the turbo adds extra exhaust heat into the system that the supercharger doesn't add? I'm expecting more heat than NA obviously, but I want to make sure it's adequate for track duty.
I have gone through a couple different water to oil coolers. check out my build thread.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50621

I am currently using the MOCAL cooler that I posted earlier in this thread. Overall I am pretty happy with it. Works well enough on track and maintains consistent oil temps for daily driving. After switching back to the OEM radiator I found that the radiator is near its limit at the track on a hot day. If I tracked more than I do I would probably upgrade. Don't get me wrong.. you wont hurt anything sticking with the OEM radiator.. the cost/benefit is just not there for what I do with my car to upgrade.

Cooling isn't more effective on supercharged cars.. Turbos just add a lot more heat to the system purely for the fact that it reintroduces the the (HOT) exhaust back into the system to make more power. NA and supercharged cars push that hot exhaust away from the engine.

I hope that helps.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:57 PM   #68
sachu

Drives: rocketship
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
WEll a thread resurrection... considering this as an option for a Turbo build on my car.

Currently am stock NA with just a TRD exhaust on it.

I have a PRL motorsports turbo kit with a GTX2867R blower sitting just waiting for an install and tune late September along with a catless downpipe/overpipe combo.

Looking at all the options for oil coolers, this seems like the one that speaks to me most.

I have planned the following for cooling based on help from a fellow member who is also running the same turbo kit but with a perrin oil cooler.

1> Ceramic coating of hot parts
2> Velox vent kit with rain guards

Wondering if the Mocal/laminar solution would be workable for a mainly DD/canyon carver with the occasional track day and or STX days.

Also, the mounting position of the Op with just the clamps as opposed to the Ptuning kit, if the former is robust enough as I don't see any brackets holding it down , just the clamps.

Anyone running this configuration still? THoughts?

Last edited by sachu; 08-02-2017 at 03:14 PM.
sachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #69
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calispec View Post
I have gone through a couple different water to oil coolers. check out my build thread.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50621

I am currently using the MOCAL cooler that I posted earlier in this thread. Overall I am pretty happy with it. Works well enough on track and maintains consistent oil temps for daily driving. After switching back to the OEM radiator I found that the radiator is near its limit at the track on a hot day. If I tracked more than I do I would probably upgrade. Don't get me wrong.. you wont hurt anything sticking with the OEM radiator.. the cost/benefit is just not there for what I do with my car to upgrade.

Cooling isn't more effective on supercharged cars.. Turbos just add a lot more heat to the system purely for the fact that it reintroduces the the (HOT) exhaust back into the system to make more power. NA and supercharged cars push that hot exhaust away from the engine.

I hope that helps.
Hi Calispec,

Any updates on your car regarding oil temperature for track day? I will be installing my supercharger within the next few weeks and I want to add this water/oil cooler at the same time.

Just want to see if you have any issue in the past few years. I really like the water/oil cooler because:
1) less oil pressure drop
2) warm up oil faster (temperature are pretty cool here in my area)
3) more reliable?

Also, it would be great if anyone here can point me to the right direction on where you purchase the complete kit! The PT Tuning one is quite pricey $9XX USD .

Thanks!
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote