follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #43
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you are going to take it to the dealership, remove the aftermarket parts. Why even give them a reason?
You might as well just bring it up at the next service interval and get a multi thousand dollar part fixed for free.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #44
DarkStar

Drives: Black FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Interesting that JP mentioned the clutch adjustment. My FRS has all the typical problems - is the same after 50k/km and 3 different oil fills as it was when new. I've complained about it to the dealer loads of times, but they haven't fixed it yet. I've been suspicious of the clutch for a while and mentioned it to the dealer but they seem to think it's ok. I have an extra little problem that JP won't have seen in Oz - at about -15c (common here in Canada) the clutch gets really heavy and I can't even get the thing out of first gear let alone into 2nd. Anyone else had that problem? Anyhow, I have 2 reports open with Toyota and the dealer tells me Toyota/Aisin are "working on a fix". I'll check out the clutch adjustment and post back to the forum if it works in my case or if something comes of the Toyota "fix". Cheers.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkStar For This Useful Post:
GhostShield (03-28-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #45
GhostShield
Banned

Drives: 2013 silver FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
adjust the clutch master pushrod by 1/2 to 1 turn to lengthen it. That should solve your shift problems. Add a texta mark to the pushrod lengthways so you can visually see how far you have adjusted it.

It's a complete bitch to get at the pushrod to adjust it, but that tiny adjustment gives the additional hydraulic throw required at the slave cylinder so the pressure plate can full disengage from the clutch plate and allow the synchro's to do their job.
Total differant from adjusting clutch engagement right? Clutch engagement as in how far from the floor the pedal starts to work.

I follow what your saying but not 100%, clutch I've suspected as well. Possibly not fully disengaging the trans therefore gears are still spinning a bit to much and jar of marbles results.

Can you elaborate a little more?
GhostShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:26 PM   #46
GhostShield
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
If you are going to take it to the dealership, remove the aftermarket parts. Why even give them a reason?
You might as well just bring it up at the next service interval and get a multi thousand dollar part fixed for free.
I do all my own service. I don't need the quacks at the dealers working on my car. Only to replace parts that weren't designed well in the first place.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #47
GhostShield
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
The sooner the 86 community accepts that the Aisin is a junk box built for an economy sports car, the sooner you can save up for your TKO or V160 $10k conversion. Or trade the car in..
A 2jz swap would be sick. Probably would rather go LS motor tho
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 PM   #48
evan

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostShield View Post
A 2jz swap would be sick. Probably would rather go LS motor tho
I loved my old LS1 and T56 combo. I spanked that mofo EVERY DAY and it never quit on me. When I shifted, I did it with authority. Wish I could say the same about Aisin. Love the car, love the layout, love the motor, love the handling dynamics, hate the gearbox. I have spent a shit load of money on the car. At this point, I would rather do the conversion to a TKO than cut my losses. Thanks to people like Accelerated Performance and FBM for providing options regardless of sticker shock.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evan For This Useful Post:
GhostShield (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 12:17 AM   #49
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I do all my own service. I don't need the quacks at the dealers working on my car. Only to replace parts that weren't designed well in the first place.
I'm willing to risk it personally until the car is out of warranty, then I'll take that approach. Free oil changes are hard to pass up.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:04 AM   #50
XanRules
A Very Powerful Wizard

Drives: 2014 BRZ LTD WRB (RIP), 2017 FiST
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Just to clear the air for you, cuz I can tell you take shit very literally.

No need to make this personal, Hoss, you're just making contradictory statements and that makes your posts even harder to follow.

Quote:
City/highway driving: I drive nice nice, speed limit, short shifts, easy on my girl.

Driving/canyon running/ drifting: I smash pretty good but I don't smash on it and do anything to hard on the car or that I feel it can't do.
Okay, so whatever the hell this means, they're still not entirely compatible statements. You either drive it hard or you don't. It sounds like you do. Which is fine. But maybe beating on a car that you suspect has a faulty gearbox isn't the best idea.

Quote:
And then I read about these guys that are like, babied my frs for 10k miles and I just laugh about that too haha
Laughs at people who baby their cars

Has a busted gearbox in 4000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton 850 View Post
I don't know who you're referring to when you say: "You're both saying you don't drive it hard blah, blah blah,..." But know this: regardless of driving habits, there is a problem with the AISIN gearbox in these cars. Obviously your gearbox is providing acceptable performance, which is great; I envy you. But my gearbox and thousands of others are simply unacceptable, and Subaru needs to make it right.
"You're both saying" can mean "you and another person are saying this" OR "you are saying both of these things." In this case I meant the latter.

I also don't doubt that there are issues with these gearboxes - that's pretty widely reported, a lot of people are having a lot of the same problems.
All I'm saying is that OP's driving habits may also be a contributing factor, which is why I was trying to see a little more about how he drives.

Quote:
adjust the clutch master pushrod by 1/2 to 1 turn to lengthen it. That should solve your shift problems. Add a texta mark to the pushrod lengthways so you can visually see how far you have adjusted it.

It's a complete bitch to get at the pushrod to adjust it, but that tiny adjustment gives the additional hydraulic throw required at the slave cylinder so the pressure plate can full disengage from the clutch plate and allow the synchro's to do their job.
Could you elaborate a little more on how one does this? I have zero issues shifting mine, I just want to know because I want to know.

Quote:
I'm just gunna have these problems documented by the dealer and hope that if it shits out the bottom of my car that the dealer will own up and cover it.
Quote:
I do all my own service. I don't need the quacks at the dealers working on my car.
XanRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:21 AM   #51
GhostShield
Banned

Xanrules idk what to tell you man hahaha
I'm trying to be as clear as I can to describe the way I drive. Something that's unique to every individual person.
All I can say is I don't feel I'm driving the car out side it's means.

As far as maintenance. I don't need luck haha I've maintained all my cars.

After taking to my service manager buddy at DCH Toyota of Oxnard CA and reading my ass off today. The trans is obviously just crunchy and it is what it is type deal.
Chris called the California field tech for Toyota that's supposedly on the up and up and he told Chris that it's a known thing with these trans for 1-3 to be rough.

My plan of attack is to just document it at Dch Toyota so IF it does crap out they'll cover it.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:22 AM   #52
GhostShield
Banned

And Xanrules. Do you even drift bro? Or drive haha
Cuz that's why I bought this car. Not just to hard park.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:28 AM   #53
GhostShield
Banned

Sorry for the typos here and there this is off my iphone
Old 03-29-2014, 02:34 AM   #54
JP
Backyard Fabricator

Drives: JZX83, SF5 GT, ZZE82 turbo
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
the box is really smooth actually with a properly adjusted clutch. The gears click positively into each gate
-Get under the dash
-place a texta mark lengthways on the clutch master pushrod shaft for visual reference.
-loosen the locknut at the end of the pushrod near the back of the pedal arm with an open ended spanner
-turn the shaft 1/2 to 1 turn outwards from the pedal to effectively lengthen the shaft
-tighten the locknut
-Go for a drive and be amazed at how much better the shift is
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JP For This Useful Post:
GhostShield (03-29-2014), humfrz (03-29-2014), XanRules (03-29-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 02:56 AM   #55
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
the box is really smooth actually with a properly adjusted clutch. The gears click positively into each gate
-Get under the dash
-place a texta mark lengthways on the clutch master pushrod shaft for visual reference.
-loosen the locknut at the end of the pushrod near the back of the pedal arm with an open ended spanner
-turn the shaft 1/2 to 1 turn outwards from the pedal to effectively lengthen the shaft
-tighten the locknut
Well now, if I had trouble shifting my FR-S, I'd give that adjustment a try ...

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #56
DarkStar

Drives: Black FR-S MT
Quote:
-Get under the dash
-tighten the locknut
Thanks JP, definitely worth a try.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote