follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #71
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc~brz View Post
thank you much for all the time you put into sharing this valuable information. Everything was very helpful and honest. I like that. There is definitely risk involved and it was refreshing to see someone share what we all think about but don't always voice.
Thanks, on this forum and most it's usually the boasting of people showing off their setups or the crazy dyno plots. More so on this site it's largely vendor run and that is what pays the bills I get it.

This entire project is not to dog Vortech or shit on vendors or modifying it's to say it's not as "Hollywood" as most make it out to be. It's a lot of work and when things go wrong it turns from enjoying a hobby to the hobby owning you.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #72
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The removal of the exhaust hanger section in the video made me
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PERRIN_Mladen For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (07-10-2013), Sportsguy83 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #73
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Mladen View Post
The removal of the exhaust hanger section in the video made me
The secret is we did the entire install with that hammer!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #74
ftc~brz
Done

Drives: WRB BRZ
Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,101 Posts
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
Thanks, on this forum and most it's usually the boasting of people showing off their setups or the crazy dyno plots. More so on this site it's largely vendor run and that is what pays the bills I get it.

This entire project is not to dog Vortech or shit on vendors or modifying it's to say it's not as "Hollywood" as most make it out to be. It's a lot of work and when things go wrong it turns from enjoying a hobby to the hobby owning you.
I'm not the biggest gear head and I was very hesitant to post my plots because I didn't want to be put on the defensive or get more technical than I can handle. When I got this car I swore I wouldn't mod. Then I swore I would stay N/A. That is the farthest I had ever delved in the past and now I'm digging into new territory and it can be intimidating at times.
I've learned a lot from this forum and your work has been very informative and strait from the hip.
I was very impressed with the vortech kit when I saw it installed on redallerts car and that was the direction I wanted to go with my dd. I knew turbo was not what I was looking for personally. Either way, any FI is scary when it's your own money going into your own car. Even more scary when it's your only car and all the risk is on your shoulders.
I fell in love with the vortech kit when I saw it in action and I am interested to see what will come of it and the other kits out there in FI land.
Thanks again for keeping it real.
ftc~brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ftc~brz For This Useful Post:
akuhei (07-10-2013), Brian@Vortech (07-10-2013), Darryljr11 (07-17-2013), Dezoris (07-10-2013), F1point4 (07-10-2013), ultra (07-17-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #75
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftc~brz View Post
I'm not the biggest gear head and I was very hesitant to post my plots because I didn't want to be put on the defensive or get more technical than I can handle. When I got this car I swore I wouldn't mod. Then I swore I would stay N/A. That is the farthest I had ever delved in the past and now I'm digging into new territory and it can be intimidating at times.

I've learned a lot from this forum and your work has been very informative and strait from the hip.
I was very impressed with the vortech kit when I saw it installed on redallerts car and that was the direction I wanted to go with my dd. I knew turbo was not what I was looking for personally. Either way, any FI is scary when it's your own money going into your own car. Even more scary when it's your only car and all the risk is on your shoulders.
I fell in love with the vortech kit when I saw it in action and I am interested to see what will come of it and the other kits out there in FI land.
Thanks again for keeping it real.
Our opinions and feelings are almost identical. I have been through so many cars this past 6 years. Dead set against modifying anything outside alignment and tires. Had dream cars come and go, and then the efficient daily drivers.

Then the FR-S, I said the same thing not going to modify it. It's not my thing. Until the I started doing the track stuff with it watching Neons, mustangs, Focus, Mazdaspeed3s basically anything walk passed the car in a straight line. It's the core disappointment of having a "only if" car.

I waited on the sidelines until I felt enough data had been published on the Vortech kit to go all in and tell the story about it. Never have I done aftermarket supercharging, so much to learn. In fact so much to learn I stopped karting and racing this year and doing a lot of the things I loved to work on this project. It's all for the experience to learn and to help others good and bad.

With your project, you already have a head start, just try and know as much as you can about the car now so you can learn how it has changed and what is normal and not. Don't be afraid to ask and even piss people off if you are not getting the straight answers. Like you said, its $$$ and when its your only car it gets real very fast. We are putting a lot of trust in faith in the vendors who supply the parts that all the hype and promise is not just a road to misery namely when we are early adopters.

In the end I chose Vortech given their long history of products and knew they could support the car when problems arose, and they have almost a year head start supercharging it. And so far most issues are transparently being handled. More importantly we now have many owners and a lot of data to share, helps not feeling so alone or clueless.

Thanks for following this.
I will be following your end too, and the products you use so we can figure out any issues and how to prevent them before they happen.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #76
NoFear99

Drives: FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing your experience.

The conception of the vortech kit is not impressing me at all. Very disapointing.
- 2002 Bombardier Legend 800SE
NoFear99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #77
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear99 View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience.

The conception of the vortech kit is not impressing me at all. Very disapointing.

Can you share what is disappointing to you?
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #78
NoFear99

Drives: FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Can you share what is disappointing to you?
- The piping rubbing/touching almost everywhere ( Hood - frame - bracket ) with the engine vibration mouvements probably. ( Too tight of a fit )

- Piping rubbing with the belt problem.

- The washer bottle that need to be cut for install.

- The need of a grinder when installing to melt the metal on a bracket or something.

- The instructions supplied with the kit that look vague not enough accurate.

- The simple fact of mounting their intercooler look like it was a pita for him and should normally be an easy task.

- The supercharge is not making enough noise for my personnal taste. When I watch this guy videos I dont see the difference with the sound inside the car before / after that make the car now feel like a totally new beast.
When you go forced induction, it is fun when you can clearly hear your new investment like a turbo spooling sound or a whine sound coming from a supercharge. It look like the vortech is very quiet from the inside.
- 2002 Bombardier Legend 800SE
NoFear99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #79
Darryljr11
Sideways and Smiling!

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Hmm my vortech kit makes a nice whirring sound and i can hear the BOV make the whooshing sound when hard shifting.

I havent had any rubbing issues yet either but of course i had someone with experience with installing this kit put it on my car.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #80
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFear99 View Post
- The piping rubbing/touching almost everywhere ( Hood - frame - bracket ) with the engine vibration mouvements probably. ( Too tight of a fit )

- Piping rubbing with the belt problem.

- The washer bottle that need to be cut for install.

- The need of a grinder when installing to melt the metal on a bracket or something.

- The instructions supplied with the kit that look vague not enough accurate.

- The simple fact of mounting their intercooler look like it was a pita for him and should normally be an easy task.

- The supercharge is not making enough noise for my personnal taste. When I watch this guy videos I dont see the difference with the sound inside the car before / after that make the car now feel like a totally new beast.
When you go forced induction, it is fun when you can clearly hear your new investment like a turbo spooling sound or a whine sound coming from a supercharge. It look like the vortech is very quiet from the inside.
Just to expand on my personal experiences, I did not have any problems with the pipe rubbing on the belt. I believe this to be installer error, as the brackets are slotted to allow different placement of the pipe. I checked this pipe during my install and had to adjust it on the slotted bracket to allow plenty of clearance.

The washer bottle does not need to be cut for the install. The plastic fill tube gets cut, however you can easily go back to stock by just using the rubber coupler they included to join the 2 halves back together.

I get no rubbing/rattling of pipes anywhere, minus the slight dent it made in the hood insulation. The innovate kit has the same issue except with the blower pulley from what I gather.

I had no problems with the instructions. The intercooler bolts sucked, but I was able to mount it by myself with no help.

I can hear my supercharger from idle to about 2500rpm, after that my exhaust makes hearing anything at all pretty hard.

The dramatic supercharger install video was dramatic and showcases potential issues installing the kit... which is what I am sure the purpose of the video was, to educate.... However it does not mean that you are going to have all of these problems, its just something to watch out for... in pretty much ANY aftermarket FI kit.

I have not had to open the hood to adjust anything since the install, I personally had a very smooth install with no issues afterwards. I did install a louder (and less plastic) bypass valve, because I am a sucker(maybe even a ricer) for noises on throttle let-off

I can really only speak from my standpoint though, everyone has different conditions/tools/experience/expectations
The Following User Says Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
NoFear99 (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #81
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I just watched your video about the intake tube interference with the pulley (and alternator bracket and hood liner and...) and I had another question for you.

I've seen quite a few FI FA20s now and everyone of them seem to have bumper alignment issues. Some owners have complained of issues with the retaining clip brackets under the headlights and other owners say some ducting gets in the way and pushes the bumper down. Either way, the bumper seam between the fender and front bumper doesn't match up. Do you also have this problem with the Vortech kit installed?
Old 07-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #82
Dezoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadstyle View Post
I just watched your video about the intake tube interference with the pulley (and alternator bracket and hood liner and...) and I had another question for you.

I've seen quite a few FI FA20s now and everyone of them seem to have bumper alignment issues. Some owners have complained of issues with the retaining clip brackets under the headlights and other owners say some ducting gets in the way and pushes the bumper down. Either way, the bumper seam between the fender and front bumper doesn't match up. Do you also have this problem with the Vortech kit installed?
Yes it is not mentioned but the bumper does not go on easily, it is VERY tight to the point you need to force it forward while installing the clips and screws. I am not anal about it but it certainly does not go on like it used to. I also broke the side markers from removing the bumper so many times. The clips eventually snapped.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #83
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
My bumper was borked after two removals and before I went FI.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
chadstyle (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #84
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

I'm pretty sure if I take off my bumper one more time, it will never go back on without cursing and zipties.