follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 11-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #15
T0rt0r0

Drives: European gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Hmmm, fair enough. Maybe e-brake engaged and power off? Just trying to think of the most natural way and right time to unlock the doors to make sure it's when I'd actually need them unlocked .
This should work well
T0rt0r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:12 PM   #16
socal_48

Drives: '15 FR-S RS 1.0
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0rt0r0 View Post
You can ! In the video it's already how it's done

Thanks for the reply. I am unable to view the youtube videos where I am at right now. But I plan on getting this project done when I get back home.
socal_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #17
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm no software engineer, but I did do some coding in college a few years ago. It's funny that you added the auto door lock feature... I have a 2000 Toyota Celica, and when I bought my brz, I was so surprised it didn't have an auto lock feature.. that was one thing that I absolutely loved. So, correct me if I'm wrong, is this as easy as buying the parts you need, and then simply loading the software onto the arduino and that's that?

Edit: I also think it could be potentially really cool if you were able to adapt a small lcd screen on the arduino and have the code spit out literally just oil temp on the LCD screen. (Not sure how difficult that would be).
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #18
T0rt0r0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
I'm no software engineer, but I did do some coding in college a few years ago. It's funny that you added the auto door lock feature... I have a 2000 Toyota Celica, and when I bought my brz, I was so surprised it didn't have an auto lock feature.. that was one thing that I absolutely loved. So, correct me if I'm wrong, is this as easy as buying the parts you need, and then simply loading the software onto the arduino and that's that?

Edit: I also think it could be potentially really cool if you were able to adapt a small lcd screen on the arduino and have the code spit out literally just oil temp on the LCD screen. (Not sure how difficult that would be).
Yes it's as simple as that. I have done the hardest part for you already
Didn't knew that the celica had it ... !

Adding an lcd on top is easy but I don't have one, so it's hard to develop in theses conditions ^^

If there is a lot of demands why not, as long as the arduino can handle both can and lcd together
Old 11-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #19
T0rt0r0

Measured the power consuption of the whole thing today.

At 12.8v it draws 48mA, so with a 55Ah battery it will last more than a month.

This is really correct and could be improved with a power saving mode
Old 11-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #20
AfterFXNinja

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to AfterFXNinja Send a message via AIM to AfterFXNinja Send a message via Yahoo to AfterFXNinja
Hey,
This is really cool. I have a turbo'd FR-S so I was wondering if it was possible for me to display boost rather than the current oil temp. If it is possible mind letting me know how? Also what is the refresh rate for the displayed data?

Thanks!
AfterFXNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:26 PM   #21
T0rt0r0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterFXNinja View Post
Hey,
This is really cool. I have a turbo'd FR-S so I was wondering if it was possible for me to display boost rather than the current oil temp. If it is possible mind letting me know how? Also what is the refresh rate for the displayed data?

Thanks!
It's possible BUT I can't make the water temperature needle to move gradually and smoothly.

The obd messages I know of (reverse engeneered from techstream) only allow to drive it by 1/8 or something like that.

So until I or someone else finds a ways to do it this is the limitation
Old 12-03-2017, 12:48 AM   #22
toyubie

Drives: none
Is this type of data communication available over Bluetooth OBD adapters? If so, I wonder if the code could be ported into a Torque add-on...
toyubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:32 AM   #23
T0rt0r0

I wrote the code to be used anywhere, not only on an arduino. So if torque gives us an sdk that could be used to develop an IConnector class it could be easily done.

Do you have some links to how to make a torque addon ?
Old 12-03-2017, 03:09 PM   #24
toyubie

From a quick search it seems like development documentation is sparse but there are plugins that seem to be able to communicate with the car like the "Remote EX for Nissan" listed here: https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Plugins

There is also this wiki page that includes a link to a forum thread that might have some good info: https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/PluginDocumentation
Old 12-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #25
JoeC

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
While I understand that some cars have the feature of locking the doors when you are driving, what purpose does it serve? Is it to prevent being car-jacked?

Also, kudos to you on your execution.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #26
toyubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
While I understand that some cars have the feature of locking the doors when you are driving, what purpose does it serve? Is it to prevent being car-jacked?

Safety is a concern, most police departments encourage driving with the doors locked. Another issue could be children opening the doors while in motion, etc. I found this article that goes into more detail:

Quote:
I don't think it's safe to drive with the doors locked because you'll be trapped in a burning car if there's an accident. You won't be able to get out and rescue workers won't be able to get in. My husband disagrees with me. We have a Ford Edge and the doors lock automatically once you start driving. I always unlock them. — Karen, Ottawa

If you're driving with unlocked doors, you never know who'll try to get in — or out, police say.

"There've been incidents where doors have gone open while the vehicle was in motion because a child pulled on the handle," says Ottawa Police Const. Chuck Benoit. "There've also been incidents of forcible confinement — where a person enters the vehicle while you're stopped or driving slowly in traffic and takes over."

It's a good idea to drive with doors locked, police say.

"We recommend it," Benoit says. "But there's no rule or law that says you have to."

Ford Canada says automatic locking is a safety feature. If it's turned on, doors will lock when you're driving faster than 20 km/h.

"The locks will unlock when the driver's door is opened," says spokesperson Rose Pao in an email. "In the event of an accident where air bags are deployed, the door locks will unlock automatically."

In a car crash, the doors need to stay closed because they absorb the impact, keep you from being thrown out, and help keep the roof from crumpling like a soda can. Locks might help, police say.

"If the vehicle does roll over, the lock is a secondary means to ensure that the door stays closed," says Ontario Provincial Police Sgt. Peter Leon.

And, even if you're driving with unlocked doors, you could still be trapped in a crash anyway.

"When there's an impact, a lot of time the doors are pushed in and don't open," says Ottawa Police's Benoit. "Whether they were locked or unlocked, the impact damaged the door and made it jam anyway."

Rescue workers will have to get you out — or you'll have to break out yourself.

"There are glass-breaking tools available, automotive companies carry them, and they'll break the glass very easily," says Leon. "They do come with a cutting blade that would let you cut your seatbelt if you needed to."

In the movies, most car crashes end in a deadly blaze, but U.S. statistics show that only about four per cent of motor vehicle deaths happen in fires, says the Canada Safety Council.

"Being trapped in a burning car is certainly a very vivid thing to worry about," Safety Council spokesperson Lynn Lau says in an email. "But (it's) an exceedingly unlikely catastrophe."
Old 12-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #27
T0rt0r0

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyubie View Post
From a quick search it seems like development documentation is sparse but there are plugins that seem to be able to communicate with the car like the "Remote EX for Nissan" listed here: https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Plugins

There is also this wiki page that includes a link to a forum thread that might have some good info: https://torque-bhp.com/wiki/PluginDocumentation
Thanks for the links !
As far as I understand, torque does not offer a plugin system that is compatible with the c++ code I wrote. It's maybe not impossible to rewrite everything to java/torque script but I won't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post

Yes it's to prevent being car-jacked in my case.
And thanks

I'm currently testing an lcd display coupled with the arduino to be able to display various informations. Some ui designer here ? I'm using a nextion touchscreen for fun
Old 12-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #28
dostoyevsky

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ive been looking for this for quite a while! Thank you!

Is there anyway to make it like newer cars that If I pull the handle from the inside it auto unlocks?
dostoyevsky is offline   Reply With Quote